18 coaches online • Server time: 05:35
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Gnome Box ranking pa...goto Post Dodge
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Secret League Americas is the best league there is!
YES! Goes without saying!
44%
 44%  [ 8 ]
NO! It stinks! :P
22%
 22%  [ 4 ]
PIE!!
33%
 33%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 18

JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2017 - 21:50 Reply with quote Back to top

As I write this, we're into Round 8 of the 1st season of Secret League Americas, which means there are only 3 rounds to go until the end of the first season. I just wanted to write a post to clarify what the plan is for season end.

So, after the last round of the season, there will be a playoff to determine the overall winner (and the first holder of the Crown of the New World). The plan for this is that the top 2 teams in each division will go into a 4-team knockout tournament. The teams that get knocked out in the first round will each receive a bronze chalice; the runner-up the silver chalice; and the winner the crown. Bear in mind that, at the end of the season, the holder of either of the two lost treasures will get +2 to their score, and there will also be +1 given for each of the player prizes (listed on the 'booty' page). So, those could affect which teams make it into the playoffs.

During that play-off period, the other teams will have a break of around 3 weeks before Season 2 kicks off. What I am proposing is that, during this period, teams can play up to 3 inter-season 'friendly' games, which can be against league teams, or any other SL teams. That would give people a chance to rebuild and replace any injuries (or not, lol!) before the start of the next season. Alternatively, coaches could get in up to 3 games with a new team, to make a start building them up. Heck, in 3 games, you could even enter a SL Brawl between the seasons, if you wanted to! Smile

I am also toying with the idea of allowing pre-existing SL teams to join the league, up to a certain TV-value, in case people have existing teams they want to enter. I'm probably going to try a new team myself next season (this rogre team is too much rat for me ... Wink ).

Anyway, I'd be interested in any thoughts or comments about these proposals, or about the league in general. I hope you've all had as much fun in this first season as I have. Thanks for playing and I hope to see you all again next season for more SL mayhem! Very Happy

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
robocoyote

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2017 - 23:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I like getting a couple of games in if you don't make the playoffs keeps people from getting bored. Also voted pie
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2017 - 03:08 Reply with quote Back to top

@robocoyote: that was my thinking - gives the other coaches something to do while the playoffs are going on.

I'm thinking that I probably won't allow pre-existing teams in at this stage, given that there are still many teams below 1300TV, and there should be some reward for developing a team through the league. However, playing 3 prep games with a new team before season 2 will be ok.

joec911

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2017 - 03:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd be in favor of an expanded playoff bracket. 2 from each division seems light for a 24 team league.
robocoyote

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2017 - 03:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Seems fine to me
T_Witch

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2017 - 03:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd be good with a bigger team bracket for playoffs...also agree to 3 game prep for new teams. But I would think the team still needs to be approved before joining if we are to stick with the only 1 team of each race thing...which I like.
As for games in between for teams not in the playoffs, I'm kind of on the fence about it. Would be helpful for lower teams to catch up, especially since we've had a few coach/team changes due to drops. But maybe some restirctions on it?
robocoyote

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2017 - 04:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah I think maybe 8 team bracket 4 from each conference?
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2017 - 07:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Fun league. Worth joining if you have the time and want to play Secret League teams in the Americas.
joec911

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2017 - 12:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Could I possibly sway you to do a top 3 from each coast this season? #2 vs #3 and #1 gets a bye on each side?
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2017 - 12:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I could be persuaded to make the playoff 8 teams, if enough people are keen for that. The main reason I was leaning towards 4 was to keep it short, so the other coaches don't get too bored in the meantime.

@joec911: in my mind, if I'm going to do top 3, then it might as well be top 4, as it'll be 3 rounds anyway, so might as well have a full tourney. Oh, you mean by way of giving the #1 teams a bit of an advantage? Hmm ... that's an interesting suggestion - I'll give that some thought.

Sigmar1

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2017 - 16:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd just stay with the top four. West #1 vs. East #2 and vice-versa. (As more than likely the teams from the same conference have already played each other, and in the interest of diversity, it'd be best to play different teams).

That'd keep the post-season short, and still give a little down time between seasons for the playoff teams.

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2017 - 12:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, I've had a think about the playoffs and I actually really like joec911's suggestion of top 3 from each division, so I am going to go with that. Top team in each division will get a bye for the first round and the other 2 games will each feature the #2 teams playing the #3 teams, cross-division. Bronze chalices will go to the two losing semi-finalists.

This is, of course, assuming that I can specify who plays who in a knockout tournament (I haven't set one of those up yet). I think this will be a good balance between inclusiveness and giving the #1 coaches a reward for topping the division.

Another question is: what does everyone think about the season length? Is 11 games too long? If we still have 24 coaches for season 2, then I am planning to split the league into a combined premier division, with East/West conferences, which will each have 8 teams, making for a 7-game season.

T_Witch

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2017 - 17:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm good for another season this size, though if you go smaller there is less potential of drops. Not sure if I'll stick with this team or go another.
joec911

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2017 - 00:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm good for either longer or shorter seasons. Just so long as we have more of them.
 Jump to: