34 coaches online • Server time: 08:52
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post BB2020 - Kick team m...goto Post What happened?goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Is Keggie the coolest Vamp couch in Box?
Yes, Yes, Yes!
39%
 39%  [ 9 ]
Of course he is.
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
I can't think of anyone cooler than Keggie
52%
 52%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 23

garyt1

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2017 - 22:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Do you have a 15/16 man squad Licker? To make sure you have thralls for the 2nd half.

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2017 - 23:42 Reply with quote Back to top

garyt1 wrote:
Do you have a 15/16 man squad Licker? To make sure you have thralls for the 2nd half.

All the Vamps and thralls in the world can't stop a well placed and utilized Jump Up elf.
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2017 - 23:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I've got a vamp team in the NWL and so far I'm finding the more vamps, the better. I started off with only 2 vamps (and no idea how to play them), which was way too light - they got absolutely murdered in their first season. Now they've got 5 vamps with a bit of development and have been doing much better (only 1 loss in their last 7 games).

I haven't taken any Pro at all and they seem to be coping fine with 5 rr. I just let the vamps bite the thralls occasionally - it's what they're there for, after all! Wink

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
Stimme

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2017 - 00:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Saw the thread title. Expected a cool cardboard edifice to house blood suckers. Got disappointed. Sad!
Grod

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2017 - 00:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Surely 5/6 vamps is the way to go? This team has 6: https://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=695348

He has 0 pro, no Leader, just 3 rerolls and a pretty enviable W/D/L record...

Oscar Wilde
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2017 - 01:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I hear they take their BB very seriously in Vanuatu Wink

Sigmar1

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2017 - 01:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I like to field four vamps with 4 re-rolls with a deep bench of thralls. I've never taken Pro as there are always more critical skills to take and I don't mind biting thralls. (That said, the new Von Carsteins have really sold me on Pro, so that would probably change if started playing my vamps again).

At high TV I'll hire and develop another vampire as backup but don't usually field five at once as it's too likely they'll start eating the help.

I frequently don't move a vampire or two if it's not critical.

I find at least one Mighty Blow vampire absolutely critical in at least giving you someone who might remove opposing players. A frenzy vampire can also do wonders, as gazes can set up unexpected surfs.

My box team was really successful for a while, but after getting to high team value and losing Baron Schitzor they've really been suffering. It got so bad I pretty much quit playing box.

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2017 - 02:17 Reply with quote Back to top

garyt1 wrote:

I do, but remember this is an L team, so team development and ability to maintain the bench are different than for B.

Still, 3 Vamps just seems like not enough. 4 sounds like the sweet spot for low/mid TVs. 5+ with a full bench if you can get to high TV I guess.
tussock

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2017 - 03:39 Reply with quote Back to top

The right number of Vamps to have is the number of Vamps you have plus one.

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2017 - 03:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I think that Block, Dodge, Pro are Vampires' core skills.
I play with 6 Vampires and 5 have Pro (the only Vampire without Pro has been built as Thrower).
Pro is handy to reroll 2 dice blocks, Hypnotic Gazes, ball handling actions, GFIs, catches, interceptions, passes in crucial turns.
The problem with not taking Pro and relying on team rrs is that some Vampires' not-turnover generating actions/tests are not worth a rr, especially during the early stages of a turn, but Pro may allow to reroll them anyway, gaining an advantage.
The other way around, if you have to use early a team rr to avoid a turnover (for example to rr double skull at the start of a turn) Pro may allow to reroll something later on that turn.
Also, while a team rr can be used to rr only one action per turn, Pro on every Vampire may allow to rr more than 1 action per turn.
Vampires roll lot of dice in a game, more than any other team, Pro helps to deal with that.
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2017 - 04:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not the most experienced vamp coach, but Pro seems to me to be a 'season to taste' kind of thing. I feel like I'm doing fine without it with my team, and there seem to be plenty of successful vamp teams around that don't use it much, so it seems like it's not essential. I see Block/Dodge as being higher priorities - they are better for actually preventing turnovers, as they always work. I can see myself taking Pro as a 4th or 5th skill on a couple of vamps, but probably no more than that.

I like to live dangerously! Wa ha haaa! Razz

licker

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2017 - 05:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Pro is trash.

Sure it works better for Vamps than for other teams, but it's still 50% to have to bite. I guess you plan for that as well, but honestly, especially early, you want to save your rerolls from blocks and dodges, pick ups too.

The problem with Vamps is their inherent instability due to having to deal with BL 18% of the time somehow. When they roll 'well' they are brutal opponents to deal with. When they can't stop biting thralls, they quickly have to go to some crazy play (which they can still pull off) and the variance just goes up.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2017 - 08:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not a Pro man either. I think if something is worth rerolling, you reroll it. I have to say though, I think five Vamps is my absolute limit, and that I'd only get there at super high TV when I had the Thrall / RR infrastructure to cope. If I were trying to manage six, maybe I'd need Pro. But that feels inefficient and super risky to me, at least conceptually. The majority of the life of my team would run with four, Pro-less Vamps.

I got the impression from Keggie's reply that he's not usually a fan of Pro himself, this team is a bit of an experiment.
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2017 - 09:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Grod wrote:
Surely 5/6 vamps is the way to go? This team has 6: https://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=695348

He has 0 pro, no Leader, just 3 rerolls and a pretty enviable W/D/L record...

Ranked though. Wink You want this link:

https://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=644044
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2017 - 13:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Two ST5 vamps, an AG5 and an AG6(?! Surprised). I plan on rolling that well with my team too Laughing

Jump to: