30 coaches online • Server time: 09:30
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
bghandras

Post   Posted: May 06, 2017 - 12:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Please add some (at least 6) dummy skills to the custom roster available skill list. (As default not selected.) Those skills should do nothing, not even recognized by the client. I hope this is very simple to do.

The benefit would be that a league (like some draft leagues) could then have multiple different spp progression rules enforced manually.

Post   Posted: May 07, 2017 - 04:58 Reply with quote Back to top

So, the fluff way to enforce different progression speed is start the more talented players with extra skills, so that they get very good by 16 spp instead of 31 or 51 or 76.

The site way is a custom position in a custom roster for the drafted player, they can just have whatever skills you want, at 1 max, and set them to 0 max when they're not wanted any more so they still show up in replays nicely. Takes new teams, but you can just manually re-create the old ones with skills in place if you need to.

I think the blank skills you want are mostly going to get in everyone else's way, really, in the interface.

Post   Posted: May 07, 2017 - 08:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, pne of the current solution. The other one is to eliminate any progression, and work manually. The downside is that this is lot of work. If there would be a combination solution, then all would be good. Hence my kind request.

Post   Posted: May 07, 2017 - 21:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice idea.
I have the same "problem" with a tournament where rosters are in 3 different tiers but the team settings and client options of the ruleset have to be the same, technically. I manually check teams involved to see if the special features of each tier (for example: wiz/no wiz, number of double skills, etc.) are respected.

Another solution, if it's doable, would be to allow multiple "tiers" in one ruleset, with specific rules for each "tier" but they would be able to play against each other.

Or wait for being able to play teams which don't have the same ruleset, if Christer already planned that.
koadah

Post   Posted: May 07, 2017 - 21:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Or allow movement of teams between rulesets.

Or allow attaching tournaments to a ruleset.

Post   Posted: May 07, 2017 - 22:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Yup Very Happy
bghandras

Post   Posted: May 07, 2017 - 23:23 Reply with quote Back to top

The original request is about how to manage multiple progressions WITHIN the same team. That is not solved by multiruleset option or interruleset option.

Post   Posted: May 08, 2017 - 09:40
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Adding dummy skills is far from an elegant solution to custom progression. What I need to do is allow league managers to edit teams in a league. Custom progression would then be possible to do by setting the league up for no skills and then add them manually to each player.
bghandras

Post   Posted: May 08, 2017 - 10:57 Reply with quote Back to top

The point of dummy skills is that coaches WITHOUT custom roster knowledge (for a lot of folks custom roster management is a pain in the ass) can manage the players by selecting 'do nothing skills' when that should be selected, but selecting useful skills for other players. All depending on league rules.
I agree it is not necessarily an elegant solution, but i dont see how manual skill addition would solve that, as coaches without affinity for custom rosters would still not be able to manage themselves.

Also the cost of dummy skills is an extremely low cost stuff, as it does not changes anything for the fumbbl community, would only be visible for leagues that actively select it.

Post   Posted: May 08, 2017 - 11:15
FUMBBL Staff

I'm not inclined to add dummy skills to the system. It intuitively feels like a bad workaround for a particular use case.

Manual skill management would allow the commissioner to add or remove skills to players. Not the coaches themselves.

What you're after seems to be more like custom skill progression per position?

In the extension, I'm contemplating allowing scripting for things like that, which would allow you (the commissioner) to write a script on the site that assigns new skills. This is way off though, as it requires me to upgrade to PHP7.
bghandras

Post   Posted: May 08, 2017 - 11:21 Reply with quote Back to top

"What you're after seems to be more like custom skill progression per position? "

Correct, Sir. There are the drafted players, and everybody else. So minimum 2 different progression schemes is what i am after.

Post   Posted: May 08, 2017 - 13:27
FUMBBL Staff

When I think "draft", I'm more inclined to believe what you really want is standard progression, but with an ability to move players between teams though.

Is the progression feature a proxy for a convoluted way to "move" players between teams?
darkwing2k6

Post   Posted: May 11, 2017 - 12:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I think what is needed is to able to set the progression Spp on each individual position in a custom roster. We currently track Spp manually, get witnesses to Discord to do new skill rolls and add the new skill in manually to the postion, update player bios to track everything. and when players are transferred all that info has to be moved to the new player.

If we could move the spp progression required for new skills from Ruleset->Team Settings and in to Roster->Specific Roster->Positional (in the custom roster position ie blitzer1, blitzer2 etc) when a player is transferred then all we need to do is track spp, saves a lot of work. once the spp target is hit, normal skill dialogue box as per normal fumbbl function.
 Jump to: