38 coaches online • Server time: 13:59
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
dashergeaux

Post   Posted: May 18, 2017 - 15:10 Reply with quote Back to top

It has been discussed and brought up before but I feel this deserves it's own post for discussion. Some people call it a mono-activation problem, others a rookie problem, but everyone agrees it is frustrating when 4 coaches activate, but no one gets to play (especially in NA when getting 4 coaches is tough.

The proposal is simple:

If 4 coaches activate for a box draw, it should be able to make 1 good match up and allow for 1 match to be played.

If 4 coaches activate the team algorithm match up scoring match-ups the same way. Why not pick the highest rated match-up and have the single game fire off? The draw should continue to not allow any match ups if only 3 coaches activate.

example

A vs B @805
A vs C @900
A vs D Not allowed
B vs C @825
B vs D Not allowed
C vs D Not allowed

All coaches activate one team...A, B, and C could all be matched up. D can not an is "the problem". A and C get matched up as the highest rating and B can call D names on the forums... everyone wins!

I can't see how this could lead to any collusion. It would take 4 guys activating, and if 4 coaches are in collusion it could happen now.

So, What are the downsides?
Jeffthejar

Post   Posted: May 18, 2017 - 16:16 Reply with quote Back to top

So, here's a question: Is is possible to see more TV mis-matches under a system like this? Is it possible to see with 4 coaches activating, no really decent matchups, except a 30+ game team with like 1250 TV and a 30+ game team with 2100 TV?

I'm not sure if that is possible or not, I guess I'm just wondering.
dashergeaux

Post   Posted: May 18, 2017 - 17:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Jeffthejar wrote:
So, here's a question: Is is possible to see more TV mis-matches under a system like this?

I would think it would be less likely. Although I'm sure not impossible. If only 1 match up happens it will be the best possible match. I can't think of how the best possible match of 4 teams would be the one sided mismatch.
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: May 18, 2017 - 17:40 Reply with quote Back to top

To clarify or head off any misunderstanding:

This would only kick in if 4+ coaches activated, but the normal process failed to make any matches
It would then attempt to make 1 matchup, the most suitable one.

1 matchup is better than no matches at all!

In those cases where there's 4 coaches online but no games for hours, this could make a big difference. And hopefully would prevent that deadzone despair, meaning more people attempt to use the box at more hours

It basically lets the scheduler break out of the stable roommate problem by just ignoring the awkward coach that can't be matched with the other 3

Last edited by Sp00keh on May 18, 2017 - 17:52; edited 1 time in total
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: May 18, 2017 - 17:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Original blog discussion was here:
https//fumbbl.com/p/blog&c=ArrestedDevelopment&id=20410
It includes a variety of other issues, this thread is a sidetrack from there
 Jump to: