40 coaches online • Server time: 14:12
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Espionage

Post   Posted: May 21, 2017 - 09:13 Reply with quote Back to top

finsterface wrote:

Can't believe it supposedly happens only 0.5% to other coaches, while it's happening to me about 20%..25% of the time.

I appreciate the frustration, it takes a conscious effort to stay positive when it happens, but yeah, more than 1000 box games here and less than 10 no shows/very late shows received, and about the same given. It's really not common.
BillBrasky

Post   Posted: May 21, 2017 - 10:55 Reply with quote Back to top

This maybe happened 7 or 8 times to me.

I'm no math wizard, but in over 8k games, I think maybe it's a good sample size to evaluate the box.

My appraisal is that it is a great system.

Anyway, you are apparently taking the bottom of the curve for the rest of us.

I think if you play more developed teams you will have less of these shenanigans.
finsterface

Post   Posted: May 21, 2017 - 11:15 Reply with quote Back to top

BillBrasky wrote:
New coaches are just that, new.

So if you constantly play low tv you will get that more often.

If you develop your teams you will draw some "grown-up" coaches that won't noob out on you. (Noobs probably don't understand how it works due to newness and not on purpose).

While I greatly appreciate your kindness and sympathy, please note, that despite currently playing in a low TV-range (100..150), I'm talking about coaches who have played 500+, some even 2000+ matches here on fumbbl. Which is, in fact lots (if not a whole order of magnitude) more than I have.

I wouldn't raise this issue for the single coach who I've met last week, who actually played his first match on the site. I always check # of games people play and gladly take it easy / assist if someone hasn't played at least a few matches. New coaches *really* are *not* the problem, here.
paradocks

Post   Posted: May 21, 2017 - 11:50 Reply with quote Back to top

To be honest I don't think it's entirely coincidental that this is happening to you rather than some of the more known coaches around. You will notice over time that people tend to be on their best behavior when interacting with admins and known coaches who are friends of admins etc.. but how they act to newer or unknown coaches is very different. There is also a lot of bias with how the admins carry out their adminning.

I know just for bringing this up will hurt me but I do feel it needs saying. I love this site a lot, but I really wish that rules and admin duties were enforced fairly for all users, without the "who's a friend of who" coming into it.
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: May 21, 2017 - 11:54 Reply with quote Back to top

So what you're saying there's a conspiracy where people all meet in a closeted (discord) room to arrange that if they draw Finsterface in the box, they won't show up?

lol.

Post   Posted: May 21, 2017 - 12:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, there was one guy that I would never have played. No matter what.
Fortunately that guy didn't play in the Box and I never drew him in a tournament so it was never an issue.

No conspiracy needed. I think a lot of people would have refused to play that guy. Wink

I doubt that Finsterface is on some great no play list from his previous time on the site.
But he managed to get arsey with an admin pretty quickly.

paradocks wrote:
To be honest I don't think it's entirely coincidental that this is happening to you rather than some of the more known coaches around. You will notice over time that people tend to be on their best behavior when interacting with admins and known coaches who are friends of admins etc.. but how they act to newer or unknown coaches is very different. There is also a lot of bias with how the admins carry out their adminning.

I know just for bringing this up will hurt me but I do feel it needs saying. I love this site a lot, but I really wish that rules and admin duties were enforced fairly for all users, without the "who's a friend of who" coming into it.

That is the same everywhere. If you present yourself in a certain way you will "get people's backs up". They may smile and be very polite to your face. But that doesn't mean that they haven't pissed in your soup.

Post   Posted: May 21, 2017 - 12:37 Reply with quote Back to top

paradocks wrote:

Strong statement, had to make it bold as it caught my eye.

For myself I treat every case the same way, no special treatment just because I like you and no rough treatment because you've done something to annoy me in the past. Although to be fair there are only about 3 people who have done enough to annoy me since I became staff.

This is how all the staff should be acting. We are here to make sure the site runs smoothly for everyone to enjoy, feelings on entitlement or like/dislike should not be coming into it at all.

Post   Posted: May 21, 2017 - 12:43 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
I doubt that Finsterface is on some great no play list from his previous time on the site.
But he managed to get arsey with an admin pre1tty quickly.

Well, even if I did get 'arsey' with that admin (which I might have, but I think he was 'arsey', himself), please note that most (if not all - I can't remember everyone, now) of the coaches I've been talking about are completely unknown to me. We hadn't even talked to each other before they let my teams wait. Only thing I usually do is write a oneliner like the 1st one I've posted in this thread.

So I don't think it's related to my way of communication, just because there was none (at least in the majority of cases).

Edit(2): Just realized, the in-game-conversation (& pms) I had posted yesterday got deleted...

Last edited by finsterface on May 21, 2017 - 13:11; edited 1 time in total
easilyamused

Post   Posted: May 21, 2017 - 12:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Personally I didn't see anything arsey in finsterfaces posts, yes his idea was a bit out there but I can understand his frustration, looks like he has hit a run of bad luck with his schedules.

I was a bit bemused with his constant posts and quotes after I had pointed out the solution to him several times though Smile

Post   Posted: May 21, 2017 - 12:56 Reply with quote Back to top

easilyamused wrote:
Personally I didn't see anything arsey in finsterfaces posts, yes his idea was a bit out there but I can understand his frustration, looks like he has hit a run of bad luck with his schedules.

I was a bit bemused with his constant posts and quotes after I had pointed out the solution to him several times though Smile

EA, please accept my apologies for maybe being a bit uptight. I know there's nothing you or other staff-members can do quickly, other than just cancel a match in question.

But maybe you can also understand, that it just went on my nerves (being frustrated already) being told what the site-policies are & asking what I wanted to achieve with this thread multiple times, when I think I've made it pretty clear upfront, that...

1. I know that policy.
2. I didn't want to use that policy for specific reasons.
3. I was looking for alternative ways to deal with noshows (which might not help my particular case[s] in the past, but might find someones ear in the future, when changes are being made to the system, which clearly keeps evolving - mostly to the better - over the years).
paradocks

Post   Posted: May 21, 2017 - 17:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Just seems that way when half the official tourneys I enter I end up being eliminated in the exact same way.. that is my opponent fails to show up twice in a row for the scheduled time then gets given the win. When I made a post about it apparently this never happens to anyone else

And then the kicker, I get a warning about receiving a tourney ban at the same time. I'm not too upset about it but it sure doesn't seem right.
Malmir

Post   Posted: May 21, 2017 - 18:15 Reply with quote Back to top

paradocks wrote:
Just seems that way when half the official tourneys I enter I end up being eliminated in the exact same way.. that is my opponent fails to show up twice in a row for the scheduled time then gets given the win. When I made a post about it apparently this never happens to anyone else

And then the kicker, I get a warning about receiving a tourney ban at the same time. I'm not too upset about it but it sure doesn't seem right.

I'm assuming you:

a) pm your opponent promptly upon being drawn suggesting days/times
b) pm them a second time when they don't reply after a couple of days.
c) contact your tourney admin and invite them to the chat, having explained the difficulty you are having.

If you do all that, I really don't see how they can eliminate/warn you or why they would want to.
paradocks

Post   Posted: May 23, 2017 - 02:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes. Every time it's happened I've made first contact promptly. Offered very large windows for opponent to schedule. Confirmed their scheduled choice of time. Then after they miss our first scheduled time, offer them another large window to schedule again. Confirm their second scheduled time. Then after they don't show up for the second time then invite admin to the PM. Then I get forfeited every time, and sometimes warned with a ban.
koadah

Post   Posted: May 23, 2017 - 12:30 Reply with quote Back to top

paradocks wrote:
Yes. Every time it's happened I've made first contact promptly. Offered very large windows for opponent to schedule. Confirmed their scheduled choice of time. Then after they miss our first scheduled time, offer them another large window to schedule again. Confirm their second scheduled time. Then after they don't show up for the second time then invite admin to the PM. Then I get forfeited every time, and sometimes warned with a ban.

And you copied the tournament admins in on all the PMs?

Post   Posted: May 23, 2017 - 14:07 Reply with quote Back to top

paradocks wrote:

Tournament admin and site admin are 2 completely different things and should not be confused.

As I have said to you previously you are more than welcome to contact me if you feel a decision made by the tournament staff was wrong and I will review it. You will need to provide me with the evidence though.