56 coaches online • Server time: 17:36
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...goto Post War Drums?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
fivehead

Post   Posted: May 16, 2017 - 22:00 Reply with quote Back to top

So, right now I'm making a High Elven team for ARR. I had the idea to give each teammate their own unique helmet for their picture, but I don't really have the skills to do that myself. Does anyone know if there'd be a way that I could maybe do this?
Jopotzuki

Post   Posted: May 18, 2017 - 08:43 Reply with quote Back to top

MS Paint.

ThierryM wrote:
CR... The synonym of E-Penis right ?
bigf

Post   Posted: May 18, 2017 - 08:57 Reply with quote Back to top

there are lots of template helmets floating around on the forum that you can use to draw your own and (even though it wont run on my mac)I am reliably informed that paint.net is awesome to the do the custom art.

Also, if you put it out to tender (i.e. offer to donate to the site) there are some very talented artists here who would be happy to oblige
fivehead

Post   Posted: May 18, 2017 - 21:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Both of those are good ideas, but I don't really have the money to donate atm, so I'll look around for some templates. Thanks!
ignatzami

Post   Posted: May 18, 2017 - 22:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Paint.net is fantastic. Short learning curve. Very user friendly
fivehead

Post   Posted: May 19, 2017 - 21:40 Reply with quote Back to top

So I found these templates, but my problem now is that I don't know how to add things like the textures used in the thread. If anyone could explain how that was done, I'd appreciate it Very Happy
Silent_Hastati

Post   Posted: May 28, 2017 - 22:13 Reply with quote Back to top

I've just gone the lazy route and instead used fair use Baldurs Gate portrait mods. Lots of humans, elves, dwarfs, etc in perfect profile pic ratio already.

Post   Posted: May 28, 2017 - 22:34 Reply with quote Back to top

That's a clever idea. I might try that, although for this team I'm looking for more customizable portraits.
Silent_Hastati

Post   Posted: May 28, 2017 - 22:59 Reply with quote Back to top

The other tip I have for portraits in the future, is choose a team theme that is conductive to it. Like my Dark Elves are all ww1 flying aces.

As for the helmet thing, GIMP. It's a free alternative to photoshop, and by using layers you can have the helmet changable without having to redo the entire protrait or worry about leaving blank areas in the background and stuff.

For adding the textures, what you'd do is have it in a separate layer, and then cut it out of the helmet shape (technically not needed if there is also a background layer that will be there), so that the helmet's borders overlap it. Then put it on the layer below with the parts where the helmet should have the texture being transparent.

In effect you are making the helmet into a "window" to the texture behind it.