44 coaches online • Server time: 15:38
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Do you agree that git is a pointless skill?
Yes
40%
 40%  [ 86 ]
No
47%
 47%  [ 99 ]
Pie
11%
 11%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 210

zakatan

Post   Posted: Jun 09, 2017 - 10:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Catalyst32 wrote:
Having Sneaky Git does not MAKE YOU take more fouls you normally wouldn't.
Rather... it ALLOWS YOU to make fouls you normally wouldn't.
You assume that just having it means you MUST use it.
In reality it is there for you when the need for it arises.

You're assuming a lot of assumptions here. I never said it forces you to foul, I said it makes you take fouls you otherwise wouldn't "when the opportunity arises", and that these fouls' risk/benefit is usually bad. And of course, you kinda have to take these opportunities, otherwise SG is loose weight.

SG is a lose-lose situation. Either you take bad fouls or you waste a skill.

One of the strengths of pombers was that they could remove players both on own and opposing turns.

Post   Posted: Jun 09, 2017 - 12:10 Reply with quote Back to top

It all depends on what the alternative skill is.
Its not that bad for goblins who only has A access, though obvious choices for a skill is more likely diving tackle or sidestep, still one player on the team could take sneaky git without hurting the teams ability.

The average AV to beat is 8, without sneaky git the chance to be expelled is 16.7%
with sneaky git its under 8% (?), sometimes its hard to gang up, but its easy to just move and make an unassisted foul witch is a 27% chance to succeed.
around 1 in 4 chance to successfully foul, then the problem is to get the foulee to the KO box or worse, witch is harder without DP.
sneaky git, well maybe halves the chance of getting expelled, it sure is useful if you use it a lot, witch is possible. but useless if you don't use it.
In my opinion not with a double, but then again it depends on your play style.

I believe it is better for some races, like skinks and goblins, maybe not as much for elves, but even for elves it can compensate a little since their cas rate on average is not that high.
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Jun 09, 2017 - 22:36 Reply with quote Back to top

zakatan wrote:
Catalyst32 wrote:
Having Sneaky Git does not MAKE YOU take more fouls you normally wouldn't.
Rather... it ALLOWS YOU to make fouls you normally wouldn't.
You assume that just having it means you MUST use it.
In reality it is there for you when the need for it arises.

You're assuming a lot of assumptions here. I never said it forces you to foul, I said it makes you take fouls you otherwise wouldn't "when the opportunity arises", and that these fouls' risk/benefit is usually bad. And of course, you kinda have to take these opportunities, otherwise SG is loose weight.

SG is a lose-lose situation. Either you take bad fouls or you waste a skill.

One of the strengths of pombers was that they could remove players both on own and opposing turns.

Geez... wasting a skill... its either 20k or 30k depending on who you have it on.
Can you possibly Min-Max any more than that?

So... if you have lots of Tackle and you face a team with no Dodge... you are wasting skills then because you won't be using any of it. Hmm.

So... if you have Sure Hands on your Ball Carrier... and he Catches the Kick-Off and nobody on the other team has Strip Ball you are wasting skill. Hmmm.

So... if on the opening Kick Off your Legend is hit by a ROCK and Badly Hurt (Apoth Fail or not used)... then all 6 of the skills he has are wasted skills. Hmmm.

No. Of course not.

Therefore NOT USING Sneaky Git in a game is not wasting a skill either. It just means during that game there was not a use for the skill.

Having it opens you up to the POSSIBILITY of using it... it does not REQUIRE you to use it. Which IS what you are saying in essence despite your semantics.
fidius

Post   Posted: Jun 09, 2017 - 23:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
The reason IGMEOY was great, at least imo, was - it added a tactical element to fouling choosing when to foul and when not to had real consequences, and it was also very very hard to foul every single turn of the game without seriously depleting your team (get the ref excluded). Even though fouling is severely nerfed in its self I have lost count of the number of games 1 bribe has allowed a player to foul pretty much every turn of the game without getting sent off. Sure they were lucky but the sliding scale of getting caught was a really cool mechanic and would stop this type of dicey occurrence more successfully.

So under IGMEOY, how would Sneaky Git work? Treat fouls as if the Eye is not on you (ie. no +2)? Seems like a pretty clean solution. Re-introduces the d6 for send-offs, but that's alright by me.

Edit: Thinking about this, the 4+ Git save might still be the way to go, as a single Git could completely nullify the IGMEOY mechanic otherwise.

The downside of the d6 send-off is that you lose the extra chance of being caught when you break armour, which is a cool feature of the existing rules...
zakatan

Post   Posted: Jun 10, 2017 - 11:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Catalyst32 wrote:

So... if on the opening Kick Off your Legend is hit by a ROCK and Badly Hurt (Apoth Fail or not used)... then all 6 of the skills he has are wasted skills. Hmmm.

No. Of course not.

Therefore NOT USING Sneaky Git in a game is not wasting a skill either. It just means during that game there was not a use for the skill.

It doesn't take a lot of min-maxing to see that losing your legend at turn 1 puts you in a massive disadvantage for the game. Same for all the other situations you mentioned.

SG is special because it puts you in a disadvantage pretty much in every situation.

Post   Posted: Jun 13, 2017 - 05:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Well. It's funny you should say that.
Because without Sneaky Git I would have never beaten you to win the XFL VII CHAOS FINALS.

The opportunity to USE Sneaky Git did not arise in our match.
But the use of it guaranteed my victory in the 2 previous games in the tournament.
My team would not have been there in the FINALS without Sneaky Git.
 Jump to: