48 coaches online • Server time: 00:36
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What's the best way to come back to fumbbl after a long break?
Lurk and observe your pray in Spectator mode
13%
 13%  [ 4 ]
Do some nice, heavy picking in Ranked
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Go face first into the Box, at speed, and see what falls out
24%
 24%  [ 7 ]
Paint the world red with Stunties
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Find a good League to settle into
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Secret League, obviously
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Tournament, any tournament. Let them know you're back and despair
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Fluff things up a little
17%
 17%  [ 5 ]
Pie and pie accessories
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 29

Archpeasant

Post   Posted: Jun 17, 2017 - 14:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I've been away for about a year and a half and I know my game is still showing that. I'm rash and overly aggressive on defense is what annoys me the most.

Having said that, my past (and first) four games in the Secret League have really been something else as far as the incoming beating is concerned. Starting off with AV9 elves going to sleepy-byes and refusing to come back, and ending up with Nipponese just getting broken.

I mean, I kind of walked into that last one. There were a lot more blocks on me than I doled out, which was not the case in the first three games.

How long and terrible have your streaks of losses been? I would have expected this to be a Common Topic but didn't find it in the thread.

Edit: that should be prey. Praying optional.
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Jun 17, 2017 - 15:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd spec people I already thought were better than me before I took the break. In that manner, not only would I see what they're doing differently, I might learn a few tricks they've learned in the last year or even notice older tactics with fresh eyes.

I'd probably jump into box play, but that's simply because I prefer the box.

That said, if I were going to play ranked (and you might, since it's the place for the next major tourney), I would not pick at all, never mind heavily. What's it likely to achieve? At best you crush some new coaches/weaker races and learn very little about holes in your own game besides the superficial, and at worst you get confirmation bias about moves that may actually be bad.

As for Secret League - bear in mind the rosters have been out for a while now and there's a small community playing it: you are not only rusty, but inexperienced with the rosters and playing against people who are not. In as much, you might as well be re-learning Blood Bowl in some ways.

Post   Posted: Jun 17, 2017 - 16:43 Reply with quote Back to top

ArrestedDevelopment wrote:

That said, if I were going to play ranked (and you might, since it's the place for the next major tourney), I would not pick at all, never mind heavily. What's it likely to achieve? At best you crush some new coaches/weaker races and learn very little about holes in your own game besides the superficial, and at worst you get confirmation bias about moves that may actually be bad.

I only used that wording for Ranked because that's what one is most likely to find when they activate the gamefinder.

I would not want to be unfair. Reasonably often (and from some coaches more than others) you are likely to see good, fun matchups greenlit where either side could win. But I wouldn't say it's the majority.

And I should clarify (considering since I came back, three R games out of five total have been with my goblins and one with some positional-bloated, underskilled rookie nurgles) that I do not find that to only be the case for teams that are rubbish to begin with Very Happy

With all the above being said, I am sure there's plenty of picking talk elsewhere. Let's try to keep this about returning to the game, or loss streaks.
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Jun 17, 2017 - 16:59 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd combine "lurk" and "Box". Lurk, to see what the good coaches are doing. Box, because game finder is a pain and also, you'll be forced into competitive play and that's the fastest way to improve.
paradocks

Post   Posted: Jun 17, 2017 - 17:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I tend to find less competitive play more fun after returning from breaks, so stunty or secret league!
 Jump to: