43 coaches online • Server time: 15:40
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Would you participate in an open Blood bowl?
Yes
42%
 42%  [ 6 ]
No
28%
 28%  [ 4 ]
Pie in your face!
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
... Mmmmm PIE
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 14

zakatan

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2017 - 18:58 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
zakatan wrote:
delusional wrote:
I totally respect Games workshop for not closing fumbbl and Not enforcing a stricter copyright.

I wouldn't say this is accurate. There's no GW IP in this site at all. Their lawyers made sure it is like this.

The only reason fumbbl is still working is not because GW is not enforcing their copyrights, it's because game mechanics can't registered as IP (the published text can be copirighted though, that's why there are no copies or links to the rulebook on fumbbl).

How did they get Cyanide? I heard that the pitch was part of it.

If they decided to take Christer to court would he fight them?

The Cease & Desist letter spree came when GW signed the agreement with Cyanide for commercial use of its IP.

AFAIK Christer's approach was to abide GW's requirements and remove every GW's IP piece from the website. I don't think he would fight it if it went to court, but that's him who should reply.

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2017 - 19:08 Reply with quote Back to top

zakatan wrote:
koadah wrote:
zakatan wrote:
delusional wrote:
I totally respect Games workshop for not closing fumbbl and Not enforcing a stricter copyright.

I wouldn't say this is accurate. There's no GW IP in this site at all. Their lawyers made sure it is like this.

The only reason fumbbl is still working is not because GW is not enforcing their copyrights, it's because game mechanics can't registered as IP (the published text can be copirighted though, that's why there are no copies or links to the rulebook on fumbbl).

How did they get Cyanide? I heard that the pitch was part of it.

If they decided to take Christer to court would he fight them?

The Cease & Desist letter spree came when GW signed the agreement with Cyanide for commercial use of its IP.

AFAIK Christer's approach was to abide GW's requirements and remove every GW's IP piece from the website. I don't think he would fight it if it went to court, but that's him who should reply.

What I was getting at really was that if they could nail Cyanide, why couldn't they nail Fumbbl if they wanted to.

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2017 - 19:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Elf Ball from Impact Miniatures have done their thing, Dread Ball is a Space version for Mantic, Guild Ball by whomever does that... so plenty of alternative Combat Sports games to be had. Beyond that I think what you are actually suggesting is your own House Ruled League within Blood Bowl itself. FUMBBL (note all capitals!) has been saved by Christer's willingness to adhere to GW's IP policy, which took hundreds of man hours going through 10's of thousands (possibly 100's?) of pictures and as mentioned already no mass reproduction of the rules are to be found on the site.

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2017 - 19:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Dalfort wrote:
Elf Ball from Impact Miniatures have done their thing, Dread Ball is a Space version for Mantic, Guild Ball by whomever does that... so plenty of alternative Combat Sports games to be had.

Yes, but no way to play them online with an automated client.
Dalfort

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2017 - 19:55 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
Dalfort wrote:
Elf Ball from Impact Miniatures have done their thing, Dread Ball is a Space version for Mantic, Guild Ball by whomever does that... so plenty of alternative Combat Sports games to be had.

OP did not mention online play...

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2017 - 20:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Dalfort wrote:
MattDakka wrote:
Dalfort wrote:

I know, mine was an observation.
If you want to nitpick then the OP talked about games with open license characters, and the games you mentioned have no open license characters, as far as I know.
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2017 - 20:49
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:

What I was getting at really was that if they could nail Cyanide, why couldn't they nail Fumbbl if they wanted to.

I assume FUMBBL not 'selling' anything made a difference. The argument against Cyanide was that Chaos League was a rip-off.

I'm not sure on the details, but did they nail Cyanide? It was settled out of court to the mutual benefit of both parties. Not sure GW would have won if it'd gone the distance, but they probably had a strong case.

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
Dalfort

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2017 - 20:51 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
Dalfort wrote:
MattDakka wrote:
Dalfort wrote:

I know, mine was an observation.
If you want to nitpick then the OP talked about games with open license characters, and the games you mentioned have no open license characters, as far as I know.

Wasn't being "nitpicky" I (despite being a native English speaker!) misinterpret tone in text, I much prefer personal interaction as I can gauge tone and how mine is received much better, apologises if I caused offence, none intended.

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2017 - 21:32 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:

Totally agree with this point by the way, my point was that I don't think there is anything Open License out there at all and by listing alternative game titles I know about I thought this was the closest thing to that.

Personally I am not sure a board game (or it's rule-set) can operate as an OL product like d20 (the only example of OL I know of), at the end of the day GW et el produce games for money and an OL would be negative to that end as it gives others the chance to make money from their product. Unlike d20 which is large enough to incorporate many more ideas from a community under it's umbrella of some simple(?) mechanics as most things I have seen under OL have been background or theme based.

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2017 - 23:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Dalfort wrote:

Wasn't being "nitpicky" I (despite being a native English speaker!) misinterpret tone in text, I much prefer personal interaction as I can gauge tone and how mine is received much better, apologises if I caused offence, none intended.

No offence taken, I apologize if I sounded confrontative.
 Jump to: