31 coaches online • Server time: 14:49
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Punga

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2017 - 22:06 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:

It's not PC. I'm 1/16 Ngati Whatua (maternal grandmother), and this Orcs = Maori with tatoos is patent racist BS. And that's aside from the gross stealing of Ta Moko from the people to whom it belongs.

BTW, I've reported the minatures site to the NZ Human Rights Commission (https://www.hrc.co.nz), who have an active history of addressing cultural theft.

However, if the site is owned and run by an iwi, or other authorized person(s), then that's all fine. I just have problems with people using my grandmother's people's culture for commercial gain withour permission.

I'm racist seriously ? I treat Maori culture with great respect, I studied their history and was impressed by the steadfastness and courage of the people.
In my homeland, I am the main preacher of the history and culture of the Maori people, all my friends learned about Maori from me.

Of course, I do not quite understand the problem of using the name of Maori even from a small ethnic group of Tatars and will not be against the Tatar orcs, but it seems that in Western society the name of Maori is often used for commercial and other purposes.

But we respect your doubts and changed the name of the team to Toa orcs, although Maori Orcs are clearly more profitable for commercial use. This I consulted with the real Maori from the community of NZ Blood Bowl, they all arranged.

We used orcs because they were strong and furious players and it was suitable for the universe, we did not pursue the goal of showing primitive and simple Maori, we have plans if this orc team loves people we will create with people or other game races .

I hope you'll hear what I'm saying and sorry for the mistakes.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2017 - 22:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Punga wrote:
pythrr wrote:

It's not PC. I'm 1/16 Ngati Whatua (maternal grandmother), and this Orcs = Maori with tatoos is patent racist BS. And that's aside from the gross stealing of Ta Moko from the people to whom it belongs.

BTW, I've reported the minatures site to the NZ Human Rights Commission (https://www.hrc.co.nz), who have an active history of addressing cultural theft.

However, if the site is owned and run by an iwi, or other authorized person(s), then that's all fine. I just have problems with people using my grandmother's people's culture for commercial gain withour permission.

I'm racist seriously ? I treat Maori culture with great respect, I studied their history and was impressed by the steadfastness and courage of the people.
In my homeland, I am the main preacher of the history and culture of the Maori people, all my friends learned about Maori from me.

Of course, I do not quite understand the problem of using the name of Maori even from a small ethnic group of Tatars and will not be against the Tatar orcs, but it seems that in Western society the name of Maori is often used for commercial and other purposes.

But we respect your doubts and changed the name of the team to Toa orcs, although Maori Orcs are clearly more profitable for commercial use. This I consulted with the real Maori from the community of NZ Blood Bowl, they all arranged.

We used orcs because they were strong and furious players and it was suitable for the universe, we did not pursue the goal of showing primitive and simple Maori, we have plans if this orc team loves people we will create with people or other game races .

I hope you'll hear what I'm saying and sorry for the mistakes.

Ok, I did not call YOU racist. I said your Orcs = Maori tattoos is a racist stereotype. These are two very different things. I have no insights into your intent, other than commercial exploitation of an indigenous stereotype.

Unless you have explicit permission of an iwi, your use of Ta Moko designs contravenes international IP law, and I'm sure you will get a letter from the NZ HRC on this in due course. They are quite bulldog-like in this regard.

Have a nice day.

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2017 - 22:28 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
Garion wrote:
pythrr wrote:
cultural appropriation much? do you have an ok for this from an iwi or a kaumātua?

Don't be silly. Its cool. Didn't expect this sort of overly pc nonsense from you Pythrr.

So u think GW asked for French permission to create the Bretonnians??
You dont seem to be outrageous about the Lizardmen making fun of the ancient South American culture. Smile Justice warrior u try to create a problem where there is none.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2017 - 22:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Kalamona wrote:
pythrr wrote:
Garion wrote:
pythrr wrote:
cultural appropriation much? do you have an ok for this from an iwi or a kaumātua?

Don't be silly. Its cool. Didn't expect this sort of overly pc nonsense from you Pythrr.

You dont seem to be outrageous about the Lizardmen making fun of the ancient South American culture. Smile Justice warrior u try to create a problem where there is none.

Say what you like, the commercial exploitation of Ta Moko (Maori tattoos) is protected under international IP laws.

Resorting to calling me "Justice warrior" is the mark of the intellectually retarded alt-Right. Are you sure you wish to out yourself in that way? I am merely highlighting a point of internal property law to try to stop the OP from getting sued.

Have a nice day.

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2017 - 22:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Kalamona wrote:
pythrr wrote:
Garion wrote:
pythrr wrote:

[1] I'm not south american.

[2] I am, by heritage, Ngati Whatua.

Can you understand the difference between these two points, and how they might inform my response to your "questions"?

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2017 - 22:37 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
Kalamona wrote:
pythrr wrote:
Garion wrote:
pythrr wrote:

Say what you like, the commercial exploitation of Ta Moko (Maori tattoos) is protected under international IP laws.

Resorting to calling me "Justice warrior" is the mark of the intellectually retarded alt-Right. Are you sure you wish to out yourself in that way? I am merely highlighting a point of internal property law to try to stop the OP from getting sued.

Have a nice day.

Interestingly BB is copyright protected, but you dont seem to have a problem to use it on this site under Fantasy Football. Where is your conscience when you play? Is it ok to cheat GW?
pythrr

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2017 - 22:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Kalamona wrote:
pythrr wrote:
Kalamona wrote:
pythrr wrote:
Garion wrote:
pythrr wrote:

Have a nice day.

Interestingly BB is copyright protected, but you dont seem to have a problem to use it on this site under Fantasy Football. Where is your conscience when you play? Is it ok to cheat GW?

Actually, BB is not copyright protected. The imagery and name are, but not the rules etc. That is how fumbbl continues to exist (by rebranding it as FF).

FF (fumbbl) intentionally does not use GW art or imagery. Can you see the difference here?

Last edited by pythrr on Jul 31, 2017 - 22:39; edited 1 time in total
Sigmar1

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2017 - 22:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Aren't there a ton of Japanese/ Nippon based bb miniatures? Don't recall commercialization/ stealing of "cultural IP" (not convinced that's an actual thing) coming up in that regard.

What a bummer of a thread hijack.

I, for one, would like to see more of the minis.

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2017 - 22:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Sigmar1 wrote:

What a bummer of a thread hijack.

Jesus, you people are having trouble comprehending basic english today.

I'm giving the OP some advice before they get sued. I'm actually trying to HELP them.

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2017 - 22:45 Reply with quote Back to top

They did not ask for your help.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2017 - 22:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Kalamona wrote:
They did not ask for your help.

So what? You have a probelm with someone telling a (metaphorically) blind man that they are about to step off a (metaphorical and legal) cliff? What kind of sociopath are you?

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2017 - 22:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I am the kind of sociopath who sees a topic about a miniature and expects a discussion about a miniature and not someone's maori grandmother.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2017 - 23:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Kalamona wrote:
I am the kind of sociopath who sees a topic about a miniature and expects a discussion about a miniature and not someone's maori grandmother.

Enjoy your narrow view of the world and social dialogue. I prefer to help people avoid legal and social pitfalls.

Have a nice day.

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2017 - 00:06 Reply with quote Back to top

That mini is pretty freakin sweet.
spubbbba

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2017 - 00:14 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr raises an interesting point, one question would be if the model itself uses any imagery that could be copyrighted?

The concept drawing has tattoos and jewellery that could be attributed to a specific culture but the model doesn't appear to. From the image on the site it appears to be a pretty generic caveman design that could be from anywhere in the world.

So any issues would likely be in relation to naming and drawings/paint jobs. The concepts for blitzer and thrower don't look to have any problematic designs to them so it could be simple enough to change if desired.

Jump to: