46 coaches online • Server time: 16:26
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
steelers_wales

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2017 - 13:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi all

I'd like to pick the brains (so to speak) of Undead players.

I've been doing fairly well with my league team (http://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=881132) but I've watched a few games recently and people seem to use Mummies a little differently. I always set them up on the LoS (usually towards the edge) on offense and defense, but I've noticed that some players use Zombies on the line and keep the Mummies back 2 or 3 squares.

Thoughts?
Prez

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2017 - 13:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Never ever put your most valuable players on LOS

If against me or countless others its an ideal opportunity to bring them down and a swift boot later and they could be off the pitch.

I set mine back so I can then direct them to where the opponent is trying to drive

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2017 - 13:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Prez wrote:
Never ever put your most valuable players on LOS

If against me or countless others its an ideal opportunity to bring them down and a swift boot later and they could be off the pitch.

I set mine back so I can then direct them to where the opponent is trying to drive

Thanks Prez Smile

Is there not a counter argument to that though? If you put unskilled, lower AV players on the LoS, it represents a better opportunity for your opponent to remove players from the field.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2017 - 14:05 Reply with quote Back to top

steelers_wales wrote:

Is there not a counter argument to that though? If you put unskilled, lower AV players on the LoS, it represents a better opportunity for your opponent to remove players from the field.

If a Zombie is removed you lose a 40 TV fodder player, while if a Mummy is removed you lose a 120 TV key player.
Also, you probably have a bench with some Zombies, so they are easy to replace, while Mummies are only 2.
Moreover, if a Mummy is placed on the LOS, even if he is not removed from the pitch he might be out of position and actually out of the game for that drive.
Loew

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2017 - 14:44 Reply with quote Back to top

What Prez and Matt wrote.. of course, there may be exceptions. If both mummies are on the LoS, your opponent has to either dedicate a few strong player, or a lot of assists for the hits, or may even decide to not take the blocks at all. This may be situational a good thing, for example if the opponent has not many player left, it is late in the half or you want to reduce the chance of a chainpush.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2017 - 15:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Offense, yes. Defense, no.

Once in a blue moon, there's an exception to this rule. But usually on offense I set them up where they can get 3d blocks on the line, and on defense I set them up where they can't be hit except by a dedicated blitz.

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2017 - 15:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah what Loew said, there can be exceptions. If they are an all st3 side and are low on numbers, putting them there might be a good idea. It will force them to either dodge away, or expend a lot of actions blocking them.

The Black Pearl Bounty-Board.

GUARD CONQUERS ALL!
garyt1

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2017 - 16:29 Reply with quote Back to top

On receiving Mummies always go on LOS. When defending I would put them on too if my opponent is a s3 team. The mummies are unlikely to be taken out but you could lose zombies if you expose them to 2db hits. Even cheap you want them on the pitch. Similar to what Stu said. But yes even against s3 you may want to put them back and then chose which side to put them turn 1. Probably in that case one will be out of the fight for a while.

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2017 - 18:12 Reply with quote Back to top

As has been mentioned, I hold them off LoS on defence. Zombies are perfect LoS fodder. Besides that, even if your Mummies aren't removed from the pitch, just knocking them down away from the action is enough to remove them from the drive if their team is speedy. Again claw teams, your mummies are begging for death on LoS on defence.

The exception to this is if you have removed enough enemy players and think you can outmuscle them AND have enough players to prevent being outmaneuvered. In that case, it is probably fine to put them on the LoS but it will always be a judgment call based on the circumstances in that game.
kummo

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2017 - 18:31 Reply with quote Back to top

If opponent has st4 and/or guard to make 2d hit on my mummy (or any st5 guy i really like on field) i don't put it/them on LOS.

If they are all st3 or less and don't have tools to get 2d hit (or even have hard time getting 1d hit) i really like to put them on LOS since then they either have to commit really much, do silly dice or dodge -> they make more rolls so more change to fail and i kinda get to control the game even before my turn even happened

I'll list exception for that st3-rule tho: Against dorfs and norse i might just zombify the LOS (since dauntless and everyone having block) even at low TV. Even if they don't have yeti or roller they might get that 2d hit.
spubbbba

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2017 - 18:32 Reply with quote Back to top

As others have said it is usually best to keep mummies off the LOS.

One other reason to put them on there is to make one turn touchdown attempts harder. If the other team needs chainpushes to do it then it can be difficult to get a 2D against ST5 players. Stand Firm is also a common 2nd or 3rd skill.

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2017 - 23:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I put my mummies on the LOS no matter what (other than claw teams, and other than end of halfs or game in hand).

Either my opponent doesn't have the strength and or guard to get 2ds on them without committing a bunch of extra players, or I'm putting AV9 to take a block as opposed to AV8.

I do the same with CD blockers instead of hobbers too. For teams which really struggle defending if they start losing the attrition battle you don't want to give easier attrition to your opponent.
steelers_wales

Post   Posted: Aug 14, 2017 - 00:42 Reply with quote Back to top

licker wrote:
I put my mummies on the LOS no matter what (other than claw teams, and other than end of halfs or game in hand).

Either my opponent doesn't have the strength and or guard to get 2ds on them without committing a bunch of extra players, or I'm putting AV9 to take a block as opposed to AV8.

I do the same with CD blockers instead of hobbers too. For teams which really struggle defending if they start losing the attrition battle you don't want to give easier attrition to your opponent.

Interesting. Against low strength teams I'm struggling with pretty much giving my opponent the centre of the pitch by knocking 3 zombies over, as opposed to working for 2DB's on Mummies by committing more players. Even against high strength teams, I could be 3 stuns down on the first turn instead of fronting up and putting high STR and AV9 players to try and get 1 or 2 players standing up at the end of his/her first turn to work with.
stowelly

Post   Posted: Oct 06, 2017 - 20:01 Reply with quote Back to top

sorry to bump this, but it seemed relevant. what about other teams big guys? such as goblins or ogres. where if you put your str 2/1 guys on the line they may survive, but quite likely not?
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Oct 06, 2017 - 20:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd consider both mummies on the LOS if I knew my opponent couldn't work out a 2d hit on them.

But generally to do that will require committing a lot of slow moving players to the front. Allowing for your opponent to race into the backfield with the ball and screen with little chance for you to counter.