45 coaches online • Server time: 17:26
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2017 - 11:03
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I can rules lawyer with the worst of them, i just choose not to. But for once, just to be a see you next tuesday:

tussock wrote:
CRP p14, 2nd last paragraph.

Quote:
Some skills are also used in the opponent's turn. In this case you may choose to use the skill after the opposing coach carries out an Action or moves a square. If both coaches want to use a skill to affect the same Action or move, then the coach whose turn is taking place must use his skill first.

The active coach may declare skills before or after the dice roll, the other coach may only declare skill use after it, and the active coach must declare their skills used first if both may modify the same event. Same text appears on p20 of BB2016.

There are 2 Actions here. The initial Dodge and Diving Tackle. I cannot declare any skills for the Diving Tackle until it exists. The second it exists it becomes an Action and I can declare skills for it.

Less twatishly but not helpfully: I have always found it odd to be on the floor having DT'd and the dodger, having dodged or rerolled, saunters off. Adding BT to the reasons I'm floor sucking and the turn continues wouldn't worry me. I have simply decided that what I 'caught' was the reroll, ceding standing for reducing the turn continuing odds.

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2017 - 11:20 Reply with quote Back to top

PurpleChest wrote:
I can rules lawyer with the worst of them, i just choose not to. But for once, just to be a see you next tuesday:

tussock wrote:
CRP p14, 2nd last paragraph.

Quote:
Some skills are also used in the opponent's turn. In this case you may choose to use the skill after the opposing coach carries out an Action or moves a square. If both coaches want to use a skill to affect the same Action or move, then the coach whose turn is taking place must use his skill first.

The active coach may declare skills before or after the dice roll, the other coach may only declare skill use after it, and the active coach must declare their skills used first if both may modify the same event. Same text appears on p20 of BB2016.

There are 2 Actions here. The initial Dodge and Diving Tackle. I cannot declare any skills for the Diving Tackle until it exists. The second it exists it becomes an Action and I can declare skills for it.

Less twatishly but not helpfully: I have always found it odd to be on the floor having DT'd and the dodger, having dodged or rerolled, saunters off. Adding BT to the reasons I'm floor sucking and the turn continues wouldn't worry me. I have simply decided that what I 'caught' was the reroll, ceding standing for reducing the turn continuing odds.

That's a very clever twist PurpleChest, but I think the flaw in the argument is that the skill "break tackle" relates to dodges, not to diving tackles. So there may be two actions, but the second one isn't an action break tackle applies to.

If there was, say, a skill "opportunistic git" that gives a player a free foul on any other player who goes to ground next to them, then that would be a skill that applies to a diving tackle and you could feel free to declare that you were using it.

Flavour-wise, as awkward as the situation is, I actually quite like that sometimes you can end up on the ground without actually tackling the player. It's certainly a very common and realistic outcome of trying to make an actual diving tackle, and to me it's a somewhat accidental but also quite flavoursome result that that particular outcome is possible in the game.
Domfluff

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2017 - 11:44 Reply with quote Back to top

For what it's worth, I think I'm fine with Diving Tackle failing and leaving you on the floor (e.g., Diving Tackle to make the dodge fail, which is re-rolled into a success).

The weirdness here is that as far as I'm aware there is no other situation in Blood Bowl where you have to use a skill "just in case", as appears to be the situation with Break Tackling away from a Diving Tackle player.

I don't think it's a major problem or anything, but it's a bit of rules weirdness and something which I think I'd like to have a firm grip on (especially as I'm taking Slann to a tabletop tournament soon).
ben_awesome

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2017 - 12:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Irgy wrote:

That's a very clever twist PurpleChest, but I think the flaw in the argument is that the skill "break tackle" relates to dodges, not to diving tackles. So there may be two actions, but the second one isn't an action break tackle applies to.

The diving tackle cause the dodge to fail but the dodge did not fail before the situation of the diving tackle came into existence hence the break tackle applies to the new result of the dodge not the diving tackle.
zakatan

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2017 - 13:13 Reply with quote Back to top

The way the client handles this situation is a little clunky and prone to missunderstandings. For TT you should ask the commissioner to rule before the game so that both you and the other player know how to handle it if the situation presents itself.