49 coaches online • Server time: 19:39
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
zenmind

Post   Posted: Aug 28, 2017 - 14:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi guys,

i´m quite new to blood bowl and noticed that it´s hard for me to remember all the skills and numbers of a developed opponents team. I need to look at the stats of my opponent very often. And that makes the game too long.

Any advice for me?

thx
Tom
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Aug 28, 2017 - 14:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi and welcome!
You can mark skills by pressing Shift key + Right mouse key while selecting a player.
b4nshee

Post   Posted: Aug 28, 2017 - 15:09 Reply with quote Back to top

As this topic was created in "Real Life Blood Bowl" the question should refere to that strange thing known as table top gaming rather than online gaming... Wink

If so: Well, play more often so that you get to know the basic stats and skills for the most common races by heart. That helps a lot. The more often you play, the more used to common skill choices you get so memorizing your opponent's stats and skills will become much easier over the time.

Thunder and lightning heading your way
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Aug 28, 2017 - 15:57 Reply with quote Back to top

A lot of this is a memory game.

Even when you can mark your opponent's skills (as in FUMBBL), you have to remember everything you didn't mark. At some point you'll get an intuitive understanding of each position's abilities across all 24 races, but this takes awhile for most coaches. Some things are easy to remember (Mummies are ST5), some take a little reminder and you might even mark them at first (Slann Blitzers have Diving Tackle).

On tabletop, having a copy of your opponent's roster is really handy. In a league, it's best if you can find that roster in advance and familiarize yourself with it. Most Tournaments aren't too terribly skilly, so it's not usually a problem, and for tournaments colored skill bases are a good way forward. In a longer tabletop league, you just have to get good at reading a roster on the fly. It helps if the commissioner requires that coaches keep their rosters updated online, so their opponents know in advance what they're up against and can memorize the key elements, like who the best players are, and stuff like that.

Post   Posted: Aug 28, 2017 - 20:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for your fast replies.

Good to know that I can mark the opponents skills in FUMBBL. I´m waiting for the 145 league to start. But till then I play the table top game.

All right then I´m just playing more (offline and online) blood bowl. That´s what I planned anyway Smile

thx
razmus

Post   Posted: Aug 28, 2017 - 20:16 Reply with quote Back to top

For the tabletop -- there are folks who produce variable colored rings for the figure bases. (Iron Golem's is just one of many examples: http://www.irongolems.com/products/accesories ) As an inexpensive alternative, I've heard folks suggest the little rubber bands used for kids bracelet looms. (I've picked up a bag for a couple bucks, but haven't pulled them out of the bag yet.)

ben_awesome

Post   Posted: Aug 28, 2017 - 20:17 Reply with quote Back to top

if you are playing tabletop

just ask to look at their team sheet and make sure that their players are clearly marked e.g. which blitzer is which etc.
Suppurax

Post   Posted: Aug 28, 2017 - 20:55 Reply with quote Back to top

There are marked rings you can put around the feet of the players, eg :

http://www.comixininos.com/blood-bowl-accesories/skill-markers.html
zenmind

Post   Posted: Aug 29, 2017 - 09:06 Reply with quote Back to top

the skill markers should do the trick but i play in a store and I doubt the other players would use it. Most of them are experienced blood bowl player.

For now I just hope that remembering comes with experience.

Thanks for your help. Seems like a great community here.

Tom
kummo

Post   Posted: Aug 29, 2017 - 16:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with what has been said but i believe this tip wasn't mentioned:

you can ask from your opponent: "what skills did this guy have again?"

I know few dudes that ask repeatedly (even during same turn) to make sure they don't make mistake and keep record on whats happening on field. They know it's annoying and are sorry for it and they all aren't new to blood bowl (the experienced ones are asking about the rubbers/added skills, most of the experienced ones know what skills that positional started with).

But asking doesn't hurt and most opponents understand why some others keep asking those questions.
Rbthma

Post   Posted: Aug 29, 2017 - 16:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I used to just jot down a few notes of important skills during TT matches: #9 B/T/G etc. All models should have a number on them to distinguish between 2 of the same position. As a courtesy to my opponents (and to help myself remember) I would paint some colored stripes on the model base to represent basic skills.
garyt1

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2017 - 01:01 Reply with quote Back to top

In tabletop tournaments I played in Canada it has been pretty much compulsory to have some kind of coloured skill ring on the base or model (if they have additional skills) that then matches a labelled colour on a copy of the roster that you give to the opponent, so they can easily refer to it.
The marking helps on FUMBBL. But yeah it is easy to forget opposing skills if you don't play a lot.