45 coaches online • Server time: 16:16
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mike467

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2017 - 12:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Apologies if his has already been asked but is there any reason why the scheduler could not be every 10 minutes. Is there the appetite for this? It just seems like 10 minutes is plenty of time to get a good group of coaches together and that only having 4 chances to get a game per hour seems a bit meager. It might just be me but thought I'd put it out there to see. If it's one of those things that is a lot harder to implement then it would appear then I would just be interested to know. Cheers.
smallman

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2017 - 15:16 Reply with quote Back to top

lol terrible idea, box struggles to get 4 coaches most of the time, I really think the time should be every 30mins or hour especially in off peak times
Dominik

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2017 - 15:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes it is sad, hard these days to get games with high TV teams.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2017 - 15:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd like more frequent activations, and maybe keeping hidden the number of coaches who activated would help.
If you see that only 1 coach has activated you don't even bother to activate and the draw fails.
mike467

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2017 - 16:10 Reply with quote Back to top

small man, fascinating insight there really helped move the conversation on. Really not convinced that less opportunities to play would increase your chances of getting a game either.
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2017 - 17:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Man, this thread opened strong.

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2017 - 17:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr_Foulscumm wrote:
Man, this thread opened strong.

quality postings

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2017 - 21:27 Reply with quote Back to top

So there are a few ways Christer could alter the box frequency

1. Make it open activation until at least 2 matches are feasible. There are no activation windows to miss or make. 4 or 5 coaches hop on and Bowlbot figures it out on the fly.

2. More activation periods per hour.

3. Less activation periods per hour.

I think 1 might be the best solution and 3 the worst. If I know I only have two opportunities per hour to play, I will likely only pay attention for an hour and if I don't strike it's on to Ranked. If I have 4 activation periods per hour I will watch it like a hawk and if there are 3 or 4 coaches and no matches in the last one I'll probably try again in 15 minutes. I do not understand how anyone thinks less activations per hour is a better way of doing it. You don't take liquidity out of a market to make it function better. Cmon.
smallman

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2017 - 05:54 Reply with quote Back to top

There are so rarely enough teams activated, that I only bother to have a look once or twice a day. But if I knew it was triggered on the hour only, I would come activate way more often. Doubt I am alone.
garyt1

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2017 - 06:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Every 15 mins occasionally you get more than 4 teams activated and can have more combinations of matchups to get closer matches. With more frequent activation few of them will be with more than 4 coaches meaning there isn't much the matching algorithm can do to give the best matchups. As it is there is a lot of activations with too few coaches.

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2017 - 06:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Also most of these games will finish just in time for the next hours activation, so much more enjoyable hourly rounds, with many teams, and less crazy TV spreads.
tussock

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2017 - 07:08 Reply with quote Back to top

The site can notify you when you get a PM, right, that little grey pop up.

How about if I go on the Blackbox page, and without activating, click a box to send a notification when there's maybe 2 more needed for a box draw. Leave the scheduler page in the background, go browse the web or write posts or do PMs, or even hang out on gamefinder, if there's a chance for a draw, some number of people see it, some of them have time, everyone who can clicks over to activate, more draws happen.

Hey, maybe just have a channel in discord were BowlBot spams like

@here one more for box, 2 minutes to draw! (with 3 activated)
@here big box draw happening, 1 minute! (with 6+ activated)

Because you can get a few extra draws if you ask in chat or post a forum message to that US Box thread, and maybe we end up with ten people all swarming at the same time instead of four and then four and then two not even getting a game.

Post   Posted: Sep 05, 2017 - 05:32 Reply with quote Back to top

smallman wrote:
Also most of these games will finish just in time for the next hours activation, so much more enjoyable hourly rounds, with many teams, and less crazy TV spreads.

I'm sure most games take over an hour total. Not for the fast players but for the majority if it isn't a real one sided bashing.

Post   Posted: Sep 05, 2017 - 10:35
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
So there are a few ways Christer could alter the box frequency

1. Make it open activation until at least 2 matches are feasible. There are no activation windows to miss or make. 4 or 5 coaches hop on and Bowlbot figures it out on the fly.

2. More activation periods per hour.

3. Less activation periods per hour.

I think 1 might be the best solution and 3 the worst.

I've been pondering on the blackbox draw. I can see the arguments for all 3 options. The problem is finding a solution that fits all regions/activation periods. For active times (EU evening) mode draws would be good, but I do see how less draws would benefit less active periods as it funnels the willing coaches towards one time period. I think a number of coaches who play Box likely hit gamefinder after missing a draw. If draws are hourly and everyone knows that then they activate for that time. You could have a draw that scales to time period. I don't think that's the answer though...

Going with option 1 alone could be problematic as drawing as soon as possible would lead to less balanced matches.

I think Box draws could work best following the model of online shooters like Counterstrike or CoD. Have a minimum number of required coaches, and once that number is reached a draw activates and a countdown starts, maybe 2 or 3 minutes. This could have an indicator on the coach page. This gives other coaches a chance to join the activation before the draw is made, increasing the spread of games. If there's an odd number of coaches then the one who misses out could be flagged for priority in the next draw. Then maybe drop the minimum number of coaches to 3, and see how it goes.

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
Augustine

Post   Posted: Sep 05, 2017 - 11:21 Reply with quote Back to top

My early experiences of the site is that outside of European eveningtime (6-10ish) it seems quite hard to find a BB match and i often have to repeat activate 3-4 times in a row before i get a game.

I think an hourly draw 'offpeak' and every 30minute onpeak would ensure more coaches activate on average and better matchmaking overall as there will more often be more than 4 coaches to matchmake.

just my opinion.
 Jump to: