30 coaches online • Server time: 00:51
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post War Drums?goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
noxnoctum

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2017 - 10:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Since I've started watching some streamers who explain their play (JimmyFantastic for example) I've improved in terms of spotting offensive opportunities but I still seem to get sandwiched to death a lot and I have trouble spotting when things go wrong because better players just don't get into these situations. By sandwiched I mean I get stuck between opposing players and powerless to do anything without risking very difficult dodges or giving a free hit by just standing up. I'm not willfully throwing my players into these situations by attempting some 2 red die blocks or anything but it seems to happen a lot, repeatedly. Not just with one player either, my worst moments are when 2 or 3 players manage to get surrounded (usually due to having to commit additional players for assists). Can anyone share some tips on how to spot these traps and avoid them? I'm mostly playing Delf and Skaven at the moment.

Last edited by noxnoctum on %b %09, %2017 - %14:%Sep; edited 2 times in total
kummo

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2017 - 10:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Positioning is the key.

With rats and delfs you got to spread out. You could for example use around 6 dudes to make 2 layered screen maybe like this
--x--x--x--
-x--x--x---

(Against good opponents this won't work for long but for turn or 2 it is quite solid way to have your dudes taking control of some area of the field.. you could later start trying to add some next level thinking and try to picture where your opponent will go and where you might end up turn after this).

If opponent is other side of that screen and your ball is on the other side, your opponent has long way to circle that. Also he can't easily mark multiple of your dudes with few of his. He would have to blitz that screen to get manmarking going on. You have 4 more dudes to screen more or cage and ball carrier. You should have at least 7 dudes free (or able to free up to that many) to act with next turn even if oppo chooses to mark (depending how far your ball was and what is your opponents speed and str).

When you watch those good players try and see why they position in a way they do. Try to see why their opponents fail to cause them to be stuck ("sandwiched").. how their opponents either don't manmark at all or if they do how they are punished for it. Even when their opponents don't manmark and commit contact, after that streamers turn, try and picture situation where opponent would commit contact and if they are punished for it and especially WHY they would be.

If you could link one or few games people could watch replay from that would give clearer picture then people could also give more accurate tips/corrections to your play Smile
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2017 - 13:30 Reply with quote Back to top

if you're losing a block war, people (me included) often throw more guys in, to get 2dice instead of 1 dice blocks. this means you end up committing most of your team... and often you get not much to show for it

you then get blocked back
you also sacrificed a lot of positioning / territory

sometimes i wish i could watch myself and point out when i need to focus on the ball instead of the blocking.

it also depends what team im playing with, i mostly play hybrid-bash like lizard/undead/necro, so its generally suited to them

but when i play dark elves, i'm more precious about my players and reluctant to send them in. so i concentrate on the ball more, i think i play better with teams like that.
looks like you've only played a bit of DE and skaven? so try necro or undead
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2017 - 14:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Also learn column defence

If enemy ball carrier is up here, and your guys are the X's
He can't blitz thru. So don't engage, just dodge out and reform the screen

-----B----

-X--X--X--
-X--X--X--
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2017 - 15:54 Reply with quote Back to top

It's about controlling space on the pitch. You need to prevent your opponent from even getting into those spaces where he can sandwich you. (That sounded naughty.)
 Jump to: