50 coaches online • Server time: 12:56
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
shalin

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2017 - 18:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi there,

Forgive the inevitable 'what skill should i get questions'. In the TT league i'm playing my thrower has just got a skill, first for the whole team.

Having read the forums the choices seem to be:
Block, but he doesn't seem to carry the ball much.
Accurate, but i've thrown the ball once in 8 games and that was only to get spp on turn 16. And i do carry with my catchers so i'll presumably be getting them blodge and sidestep first.
Leader, seems most overall helpful, but i wonder if i shouldn't get one of the others...

I'm playing in a slow bash heavy league so i wonder if making my passing game a bit more effective would result in my actually passing more. Any thoughts appreciated
koadah

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2017 - 18:10 Reply with quote Back to top

So, why do you have a thrower?

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2017 - 18:14 Reply with quote Back to top

That's a good question! I'm just starting and i like the idea of humans as generalists who can adapt... I'd like to play more throwing with them, but then the odds always seem rubbish (which is of course why all the forums say 'don't throw the ball')
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2017 - 18:20 Reply with quote Back to top

shalin wrote:
I'd like to play more throwing with them, but then the odds always seem rubbish (which is of course why all the forums say 'don't throw the ball')

If you want to play more throwing take Accurate (you will need at least one Catcher with Diving Catch or AG 4 to have a decent passing game), otherwise
Block is the best core skill you can take and will be often useful; if you need re-rolls take Leader (Humans should play with at least 3 rrs).
As an aside, yes, you should not pass if you can run with the ball.
shalin

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2017 - 18:32 Reply with quote Back to top

i've got 3rr, although i always seem to run out.
i think i should just take the plunge and at least try accurate, after all this is why i'm playing humans vs straight bash.
block just seems like such a boring choice - although of course i'm aware about how important it is.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2017 - 18:36 Reply with quote Back to top

It's about your game style. If you want to play the passing game Accurate is a must and helps to farm SPPs through Quick Passes, and if you roll a double take Strong Arm.
Always remember that, generally speaking, the passing game is more risky than the running game.

Last edited by MattDakka on Sep 25, 2017 - 18:40; edited 1 time in total
garyt1

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2017 - 18:39 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
So, why do you have a thrower?

With sure hands on a rookie a thrower is always worth having on a Human team due to ag3. They don't have reduced armour like with orcs. Pass is just an emergency bonus. Even if carrying with a catcher he could put both a catcher and the thrower in the backfield to make sure the ball can be reached first turn.

As the OP says he doesn't throw much (good) then Block is the obvious first normal skill. Make him helpful on defence and more resistant to blitzers on offence if he does carry and your cover is broken. If you only have 2rrs then leader is fair enough.

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2017 - 20:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I personally like human throwers as they add to the versatility of the team.

Sometimes being able to pass is vital to your scoring effort. Even better the threat of a pass can stretch your opponent's defence and give openings for a running play.

I'd suggest block as first skill, especially as it is the first on the team. That way he is useful on offence and defence. After that you can get accurate for the odd pass, but i also like linemen skills like tackle, kick or strip ball. Linemen tend to not live very long or end up on the LOS whilst blitzers often have better choices. So taking these on the thrower make him a useful deep defence guy or offence ball carrier.

With humans being adaptable is key and you can make a thrower a useful player with only a couple of skills to maximise TV efficiency.

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2017 - 20:53 Reply with quote Back to top

first skill, block. So when he's not throwing, he's not useless. also, helps him survive so he can throw when it matters.

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2017 - 23:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm with Arktoris on this one. Block!

Post   Posted: Sep 26, 2017 - 06:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Block and accurate are both good skills for throeers, why don't you carry the ball with him? With sure hands he's your best option to pick up the ball. And throwing isn't that bad, Always remember that the possibility to be successful with throwing is much bigger than to fail. it is an option that a human team can use. Other bashy tems don't have this option.
tussock

Post   Posted: Sep 26, 2017 - 07:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Your best bet against slow teams is moving the ball a long way every turn, side to side if you can't go forward, feints, deep retreats, and eventually you'll punch through somewhere. Having a Quick Pass on 2+ with built-in RR lets you expand your range on those moves dramatically, Diving Catch on a middle-man and handoff after, you can shift the ball 25 squares in a turn at 2+ 2+ 3+ all with skill RRs and usually Blitzers crowded around the risk points.

Now, that fails one-in-six, so you'd rather not, and I'll walk them in with a Thrower if they let me. But that option is amazing for making teams spread out and make walking it in easier. On top of that, there's so many better options around 1-turns, 2-turns, 3-turn plays, if you can just chuck a quick pass at 2+, 2+, or a short pass at 3+, 2+.

Personally I don't bother with Block on the Human Thrower at all, they exist to retrieve and shift the ball to a safe place no matter what mess it lies in after the Blitzers got busy, and there's piles of skills to take that help them do that better. So what if they die, get a new one, they're great for the team at 6spp or more with Accurate.

Having said that, the other way to play humans is run it with the Thrower and get them to over-commit on one side, then handoff back to a trailing catcher and switch sides so they can't get him. I find a lot of people won't let that play work, but if it does for you, you don't need to bother with anything but Block.

Post   Posted: Sep 26, 2017 - 09:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Another option if you're using him as a ball retriever rather then thrower: Kick-off Return. May not be the best choice for a first skill, but its not the worst either

Post   Posted: Sep 26, 2017 - 10:12 Reply with quote Back to top

You could make him real team player by giving him leader now and kick later.
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Sep 26, 2017 - 21:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Kick - With a little luck and some good placement Kick can win games for you

It could help you steal the ball on a lucky BLITZ! result OR you could force some slow bashers to move the ball all the way out of their own End Zone to get a TD in yours.

But the other advice above is also good... Leader if you are short on Rerolls.

Block is best IN GENERAL TERMS... no matter what strategy you want to use Block will be useful.
Block is perhaps the most powerful skill in the game during early in team development.
It is the reason Norse are great early on... and a reason Dorfs are good at any level.
 Jump to: