56 coaches online • Server time: 17:07
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What skill pack would you choose?
5 normal skills and 1 any table skill on six different players
56%
 56%  [ 9 ]
4 normal skills on different players and two normal skills on one player
43%
 43%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 16

Tripleskull

Post 12 Posted: Oct 11, 2017 - 13:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Given your favorite race what would you choose in a NAF-style tournament?

Get an any table skill and 5 normal skills all on different players or

Get two normal skills on the same player and 4 skills on different players?

Comment with race and skill choices please. Smile
ArthurWynne

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2017 - 14:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I would almost certainly go for the 5 normals and the double. I just can't think of any TV-1000ish team that is better served with the 16 spp player than with a double and a wider distribution of skills. Vampires I guess? But then you're playing Vampires in a tournament so...
Grod

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2017 - 14:30 Reply with quote Back to top

On most teams, the double is invaluable to get block on the big guy.

Oscar Wilde
Tripleskull

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2017 - 15:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Grod wrote:
On most teams, the double is invaluable to get block on the big guy.

What if you had an extra any table, no big guy or was not allowed block on the big guy?
Cyrus-Havoc

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2017 - 16:34 Reply with quote Back to top

5 & a double every time. So assuming not Dwarf or CD:
1 Tackle 1 Guard, Block up to 4 if I don't have that many. Sure Hands for any agility 3 teams & probably Leader on any Elf team.

So for example on Undead:
Block Mummy (double), Guard Mummy, Tackle Wight, Mighty Blow Wight, Block Ghoul, Sure hands Ghoul.

Where you are not allowed multiples of the same skill I tend to go for a race that already has at least 4 Block players.

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2017 - 20:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi, my favorite team are woodies. On a tourney I eould play an all positional woodie team wirhout any RR. Four skills would be block for my four catchers. The other two skills could be accurate for the thrower or kick for a linemen, tackle or strip ball for a wardancer.

If I could take a double it would probably be mighty blow for a wardacer. Two skills on one player might make a normal lineman to a blodge lineman.
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2017 - 21:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Really depends on the rest of the package with this. Stars for tier 3 for example?

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2017 - 21:41
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Not a RL player myself, but 2 skills on one player would tempt me to CD, and a Block/Break Tackle Bull.

So maybe there is one race who would benefit?

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2017 - 23:26 Reply with quote Back to top

ArrestedDevelopment wrote:
Really depends on the rest of the package with this. Stars for tier 3 for example?

In the rule set that this is about stunties are allowed to buy stars. They also get a ton of skills and money. There are 6-7 tiers and significant bonuses for many of the teams.

The question in this post is simplified to be about valuing stacking of skills against any table skills.
Tripleskull

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2017 - 23:27 Reply with quote Back to top

PurpleChest wrote:
Not a RL player myself, but 2 skills on one player would tempt me to CD, and a Block/Break Tackle Bull.

So maybe there is one race who would benefit?
¨

Are you saying this because you don't think it would benefit any other races?
Tricktickler

Post   Posted: Oct 12, 2017 - 00:50 Reply with quote Back to top

If I wasn't allowed to take Block on the troll with orcs I would consider taking Tackle and MB on a blitzer.

Maybe skaven would benefit more from Wrestle and Dauntless on a gutter than a double on the rat ogre...
delusional

Post   Posted: Oct 12, 2017 - 05:59 Reply with quote Back to top

"4 normal skills on different players and two normal skills on one player"

I was thinking about this. I normally play Lizards, so 4 saurus's with block. one Saurus with Block and MB... VS... 5 saurus with Block and one Krox with Block... (or all your Saurus's with block and Krox with Block and remaining skinks getting random skill). Even no Krox I would put

Ultimately you are asking the question "are two standard skills on the one player better then one standard and one double skill on two different players?" The answer is no.

Sure you have superskills like "leader" which would give you a nice edge for a double. but even excluding them I cannot see a team being better off without a double. Doubles mean access to Block, guard and dodge for players who cannot get that skill.
Tripleskull

Post   Posted: Oct 12, 2017 - 07:43 Reply with quote Back to top

delusional wrote:

Ultimately you are asking the question "are two standard skills on the one player better then one standard and one double skill on two different players?" The answer is no.

Ultimatily I am asking are stacked skills sometimes better than getting an any table skill. I agree that the answer in no on lizardmen. Do you think the answer is always no for any race?
Irgy

Post   Posted: Oct 12, 2017 - 09:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Never mind the double, I'm not sure I'd even want to stack skills at all most of the time, even if I could. Generally the first skill on a player is better than the second (that's why you take it first). There's a few skill combos that are more-than-the-sum-of-the-parts, like MB+Claw or Blodge, but even then you're putting all your eggs in one basket. Or at least two of your eggs in the same basket anyway...

There might be a few teams I wouldn't want the double on either, e.g. lizards I might take no Krox and just 6xblock on Sauruses. But the double is awesome on a lot of other teams, and almost always good for something.
Tripleskull

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2017 - 10:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Irgy wrote:
Never mind the double, I'm not sure I'd even want to stack skills at all most of the time, even if I could. Generally the first skill on a player is better than the second (that's why you take it first). There's a few skill combos that are more-than-the-sum-of-the-parts, like MB+Claw or Blodge, but even then you're putting all your eggs in one basket. Or at least two of your eggs in the same basket anyway...

There might be a few teams I wouldn't want the double on either, e.g. lizards I might take no Krox and just 6xblock on Sauruses. But the double is awesome on a lot of other teams, and almost always good for something.

Really? I am very surprised to hear this opinion. I would say that quite a lot of skill combos are more than the sum of the parts, say tackle, Mighty Blow; Block, sure hands; Blodge (say a DE blitzer), side step just to add a few to your list, and that does not even include Piling on.

I get that any tables are worth a lot and it would seem they are valued higher than stacking - probably for good reasons. But putting no value on skill stacking sounds wrong and it would also seem weird that skill stacking is almost newer allowed in tournament play?
 Jump to: