36 coaches online • Server time: 14:09
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
bates

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2017 - 20:00 Reply with quote Back to top

What's the difference between Elves Union and High Elves, besides the AV.
The team is more or less equal and does stand in the same tier, why this , if I can say so, subdivision?
Wozzaa

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2017 - 20:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Elven Union used to be the Pro Elves or just Elves.

They are based on the second edition 'Elves'.

When Bloodbowl moved to CRP rules and away from 2nd Ed, Games Workshop aligned it closer to Warhammer and added other types of Elves, High and Wood (Dark Elves have always been there).

They also included 'Elves' who looked like the 2nd Edition Elves.

The official fluff says that, in the early days of Blood Bowl's post-NAF period, when most of the professional Elf teams collapsed, a handful of Elf players decided to continue playing for the love of the game rather than for the love of money, prestige, fame, etc. These players, and their descendents, now travel the Blood Bowl circuit wearing masks and mohawks as an homage to the earliest Elf teams to play the game. They accept Elfs of all social classes, and eschew the arrogance of the High Elf teams and the outright evil of the Dark Elf teams.

So I think Elves (Elven Union) were included for 'fluff reasons'.

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2017 - 20:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Thnx for clarifying
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2017 - 20:35 Reply with quote Back to top

EU were supposed to replace HE actually.

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2017 - 22:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I think of the 4 elves as a spectrum
If there was just one ag4 race it'd have a lot for players doing different things with it
But giving people different flavours lets people select a bit about what they want
And gives the game more variety. The reason they all exist is probably just that simple
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2017 - 23:06 Reply with quote Back to top

bates wrote:
What's the difference between Elves Union and High Elves, besides the AV.
The team is more or less equal and does stand in the same tier, why this , if I can say so, subdivision?

To me, the biggest differences are that EU is dangerous right out of the gate AND scales up in TV beautifully thanks to the inherent SS on blitzers and the relatively cheap linos which can pad out a roster with.

With helfs, they aren't the same low TV threat and take a couple of skills to get rolling. At higher TV where attrition can be a bigger factor in aggregate, I feel like they can handle it better than EUs but still are at even footing in a head to head matchup.
Roland

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2017 - 08:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, the EU blitzers and catchers have one more skill than their HE equivalents. But the thrower positional is toned down somewhat and only has pass skill.
Rawlf

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2017 - 08:54 Reply with quote Back to top

The idea behind the game is to sell miniatures. Wink
Domfluff

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2017 - 11:10 Reply with quote Back to top

As with the split from "Undead" into "Necromantic" and "Khemri" (and tangentially "Vampire"), this was a subdivision that was presumably intended to replace the existing roster, but ended up adding to it.

High Elves and Pro Elves are actually pretty different. You can make the case that four elf teams are too many, but I'm not going to do that here.

Pro Elves start well at low TV, but die a lot. High Elves start slow, but become fantastic at high TV. Armour 8 is an awful lot more than 7, and 70K linemen are an awful lot more than 60K, since they both mount up quickly. Wood Elves and Dark Elves are probably better teams, certainly in tournaments.

Both Pro and High Elves have an excellent passing game. High Elves have better throwers out of the gate, but Pro Elves have better catchers. Since Nerves of Steel is a passing skill, it's not really a skill that High Elf catchers can gain efficiently or reliably, so Pro Elf Catchers may always be the better option.
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2017 - 12:33 Reply with quote Back to top

starting skills
Domfluff

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2017 - 12:45 Reply with quote Back to top

also cost, and fanatical devotion to the pope
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2017 - 19:55 Reply with quote Back to top

ArrestedDevelopment wrote:
EU were supposed to replace HE actually.

I would hate if they ever did this. The two teams are quite distinct and play differently. Besides, High Elves and Ulthuan were a major part of the Warhammer fluff over many editions.

It's true that the EU Blitzers and Catchers are better, although having AV 8 rather than 7 on the HE lineelves is a big deal, and it's great value for only 10k, imo. It means they can man-mark and get stuck in much more than EU and their players are more likely to stay on the pitch for the 2nd half.

On the other hand (not that I dislike Pro Elves), with EU you really can't afford to leave any of them in contact at the end of your turn, or you're asking for trouble. (Well, except the Blitzers)

Domfluff wrote:
.. and fanatical devotion to the pope

Actually, I think you'll find it's Dark Elves that have a fanatical devotion to the Pope Wink

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2017 - 20:54 Reply with quote Back to top

The two closest elven races are High Elves and Dark Elves. Not High Elves and Pro Elves. In fact High Elves and Pro Elves do not have a single player with identical stats. So the whole point is mood.
 Jump to: