68 coaches online • Server time: 22:35
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Grogrock

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2017 - 15:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey there! I am a new guy here and would like to ask question about Slann team. I was looking for some info on this forum about their team comps and found out that a lot of people think that Krox is not the best choice for them. I would like to know why and what the best starting roster for them? I usually go with

1 x Krox
1 x Blitzer
2 x Catchers
7 x Linefrogs
3 RR

Also any tips & tricks about Slann would be greatly appreciated!I am new to Fumbbl but I play BB2 for about 2 years
happygrue

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2017 - 15:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome to FUMBBL!

Krox is fun, one of the best big guys. I'd say always take one!

That's a reasonable starting roster. I like to go with more blitzers to start because the catchers hog all the spp. But catchers help you win, so it depends on what you like. Wink

For tips, I'd suggest saving your RR for late in the half. You can take a shot on the ball if you see one, but if you don't have a good chance to pickup the scatter then I probably wouldn't use a RR on it until late in the half. If you can fail some blocks that don't matter too much but keep some RR for the end, you might find stop some scores or even win some games as a result of crazy late-half shenanigans. The key to saving RR is to think about if anything you are going to do this turn is going to NEED a RR or not. If you can start and finish your turn without doing anything that NEEDS a RR, then if you fail something then you just fall. That means moving players around before rolling dice, and so on.

Good luck!

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2017 - 15:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I represent ‘the other’ school of Slann thought to happy (more Catchers, boo Blitzers), but I also love a Krox. Make him so!
happygrue

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2017 - 16:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
I represent ‘the other’ school of Slann thought to happy (more Catchers, boo Blitzers), but I also love a Krox. Make him so!

The current rules may have us meeting in the middle soon, goo... without spiraling expenses and without wizards (and PO) keeping everyone trim for a reason I would predict large Slann teams with fully skilled blitzers and catchers doing quite well in majors soon enough. The old rules made that very difficult, but these days I'm much more interested in catchers than I used to be! Wink

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2017 - 16:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Perhaps! I don’t really base team building decisions on uncapped TV FUMBBL tournaments, but you might well have a point for those that do.

Without crossing the streams too much, Wizards will be back, GW have said so (admittedly, they’ve not mentioned their exact form). BB2016 isn’t over. It struck me as an odd decision that FUMBBL is keeping CRP stars around while the new rules roll out but binning Wizards, but there you go. As an agility leaning coach, it certainly puts me off playing in uncapped KO tournaments, well, not that they’re my bag anyway.

Erm... /Superofftopic. Soz! Wink
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2017 - 20:24 Reply with quote Back to top

one slann Krox I'll never forget had Juggernaut, Grab, and stand firm. Just kept pushing me to the crowd. That tail pins people down.

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2017 - 20:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I am trying to get my current Krox to super star. Blodge, Stand Firm, Guard. Has been a lot of fun. I sometimes start teams without Krox to get 1 skilled lino's then add in with blitzers as time goes.

But Grue and Goo are a lot better Slann players than me. But I find them a lot of fun.
Antithesisoftime

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2017 - 23:49 Reply with quote Back to top

My current slann boast all 4 catchers and all 4 blitzes with a Krox.
I currently field only 2 linefrogs on any given drive, both +ag

Kris is worth it
thoralf

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2017 - 00:31 Reply with quote Back to top

If you don't Krox, you can't haz a gruesome Krox.

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2017 - 08:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Wow, thanks guys! Very interesting ideas!

happygrue wrote:
Welcome to FUMBBL!
The key to saving RR is to think about if anything you are going to do this turn is going to NEED a RR or not. If you can start and finish your turn without doing anything that NEEDS a RR, then if you fail something then you just fall. That means moving players around before rolling dice, and so on.

Good luck!

Yes, that's what I usually try to do with any team. First try to make actions that don't require dice rolls! I think that's a great advice for any new coach. Thanks happygrue!

What about 1k starting roster? What is your favorite, guys? I would be happy to start with 2 blitzers and Krox but don't have enough gold and I can't really go under 3 RR...
juck101

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2018 - 23:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Krox adds a lot to the team. Hes a decent big guy and as said above, no reason not to take him. Personally buy him later as he can join a team at any point and play. Blitzers really need play time to get exciting
Keothi

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2018 - 00:15 Reply with quote Back to top

If you get one, hopefully he gets a Cas early in his career and then you try feeding him an MVP to get his first skill; On a double - always choose Block, on a second double I favour Pro vs Dodge to combat the Loner+Bone Head neg traits.

If they roll normals, I personally preference Guard, then Stand Firms. Always take +Strength and I've seen coaches take +AV on a Krox too which has merit as a tough LoS centre (except against Claw). He really doesn't improve that much as MA7 vs MA6 (in my opinion) he's already the fastest Big Guy in the game... On a Slann Team, the Krox can be an excellent pillar to build a cage around, a tough line centre on a defensive drive and a useful player to tie up mobile opponents. With Guard and Stand Firm you can rely on him to lend assists and Grab lets you shift players around whilst holding them close with that +1 to TZ to dodge away. Agree on the Juggs+Grab+Stad Firm combo with Prehensile Tail - until they Bonehead on you, Krox are one of the best Big Guys for tying up players and then using Grab to set them up for a crowd surf with someone else.

Don't over-use him though; sometimes he's much more valuable sitting there doing "nothing" than to risk blocking with him; one out of six chance for him to go Bone Head and lose all tackle zones and his Guard skill is lost. He can be more useful at times to stand still for a couple of turns tying up 2 or 3 players vs risking him on a block. For the same reason, I don't give Krox Break Tackle; Loner + Bone Head makes him too risky to break away for blitzes in my opinion. Try blocking your Krox free if you really want him mobile to go somewhere else and I'll typically move him there for an assist and Prehensile Tail effect and save the Blitz for a Slann Blitzer. If he Bone Heads you haven't wasted your Blitz.

General Rules I follow with Big Guys is; don't blitz with them, save their actions for last or late in the turn unless their turn is instrumental for setting up your strategy for the turn (and unless you're counting on a pushback from him, or just moving him for an important Guard assist, then reconsider). Think about where his zone of influence would be most annoying if you were the other coach, he has +1 difficulty to dodges all around him and if he has Guard he can suck in more opposing players to cancel that Guard influence for your opponent to make other favourable hits on your players. Place him where he has maximum influence but also consider not moving him at all (for reasons mentioned above), because what happens to your defense or offense if he goes dumb on you?

But I would also recommend having a Krox. One of the best Big Guys in the game and he adds a lot of durability to the fragile frog side.
Keothi

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2018 - 00:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I would also direct you to these FUMBBL links about playing Slann and good options for skill progression on Slann players and starting rosters...

https://fumbbl.com/help:LRB6SlannSetUp
https://fumbbl.com/help:LRB6SlannStrategy
https://fumbbl.com/help:LRB6SlannSurvey

Some excellent coaching advice here for you to read.
Grogrock

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2018 - 07:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks! I like that Big Guy
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2018 - 13:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Rearding doing krox move at the end of the turn-
Failed bonehead isn't a turnover. So if you need an assist, you can attempt to send the krox in. If he fails, you then know you need to send someone else in instead, who might be more fragile, require a dodge, etc

Similarly if he's needed to move to form a screen or cage. Don't move him last if he's going to anchor your cage, as you don't want that corner left unprotected.
Instead, move him first, if he fails then you can put someone else there.

If you are sure you want to move him, might as well do it early, before any potential turnover actions

So, like every rule in BB, "it depends".
Sometimes it's good to do the action at the start, so you find out if he's going to bonehead and then adjust your plans around it
 Jump to: