40 coaches online • Server time: 14:53
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
cmok

Post   Posted: Dec 26, 2017 - 23:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Not trying start a flame war here, this is an honest question...is rage-quitting, then laying low (ie, staying offline for a few days) to preserve a win a valid tactic on fumbll? Had it happen to me in Black Box recently. I was going to tie the game with only a turn left in the match. The opposing coach left without explanation, then, after saying he'd finish the game, stayed offline for the next three days. I filed a ticket, and the resolution was rewarding him with a BB tourney win, all his winnings, and a random mvp. Though I was going to tie the game in the next turn, I received a loss, and no option to choose my mvp. I haven't been here very long, but is this the norm? Is there something in the rules and policies I'm missing here? Thanks!
uzkulak

Post   Posted: Dec 27, 2017 - 00:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I would raise a ticket in the support section for help from an admin. What you have described is not normal
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Dec 27, 2017 - 00:17 Reply with quote Back to top

cmok wrote:
Not trying start a flame war here, this is an honest question...is rage-quitting, then laying low (ie, staying offline for a few days) to preserve a win a valid tactic on fumbll? Had it happen to me in Black Box recently. I was going to tie the game with only a turn left in the match. The opposing coach left without explanation, then, after saying he'd finish the game, stayed offline for the next three days. I filed a ticket, and the resolution was rewarding him with a BB tourney win, all his winnings, and a random mvp. Though I was going to tie the game in the next turn, I received a loss, and no option to choose my mvp. I haven't been here very long, but is this the norm? Is there something in the rules and policies I'm missing here? Thanks!

Check out this section

https://fumbbl.com/help:DisconnectionProblems
cmok

Post   Posted: Dec 27, 2017 - 03:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Read that, and did file a ticket. It just seems to me that this is on odd way to do things. So, if I don't want to give my opponent a chance to tie the game, I can just leave? The only downside being that my mvp will be chosen randomly, and I might have to stay off the site for a few days? Doesn't seem like much of a downside...
ben_awesome

Post   Posted: Dec 27, 2017 - 04:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Typically if the evidence is in your favor as the non quitting coach, my experience is that you will get awarded the win regardless of your opponent.
dorfeus

Post   Posted: Dec 27, 2017 - 11:50 Reply with quote Back to top

It's not normal nor it's acceptable. I would believe that if you can show to admin that "disconnection" was indeed used as tactic that coatch would be warned if not banned.

I have played nearly 400 games on this site and in those games I've suffered 4 concessions in those games (3 times by my opponent, 1 time by me - I can't rebember why -it was back in 2008!)

If that happends to you again I advice taking screen shot from the game state before closing the client so you can back up your argument.
AutoAxpert

Post   Posted: Dec 27, 2017 - 13:55 Reply with quote Back to top

That is scummy, to say the least. I'm a bit surprised the admin resolved it that way, honestly.

CIBBL! I swear I had a life, before!
spelledaren

Post   Posted: Dec 27, 2017 - 13:59 Reply with quote Back to top

No, not common or valid.
Can't remember it happening to me ever, though I guess it has some time long ago.

Post   Posted: Dec 27, 2017 - 14:06 Reply with quote Back to top

This is weird as hell and the opposite of what is supposed to happen pretty much.

All coaches are supposed to make a valid attempt to finish games - failure to do so results in either the game being unscheduled, the result being pushed through, or a concession being awarded if appropriate.

Right now however, the admin-concession button is not working, so the only resolutions are unschedule or push-through result.

As described - your opponent left the game, and made no attempt to finish it, and left the game in a manner where the result was in question. Thus the admin staff have two choices for intervention: unschedule the game losing everyone all SPP gained, or push-through the result, giving you a loss but all SPP gained + random MVP.

The third way would have been to press your opponent to finish the game via admin message.

Were you clear about what you wished to happen in your ticket?

And also, when the ticket is resolved, you should receive a message from whichever security officer/admin resolved it - have you PM'd them/replied to it to query their decision?

Post   Posted: Dec 27, 2017 - 16:59 Reply with quote Back to top

I did question the decision, but haven't received an answer yet.

Thing is, I did mention the coach's behavior in our previous match (we got matched up in back-to-back games in BB). After I had the audacity to make two 4+ dodge rolls, he went on a dice-whine tirade, telling me I sucked and didn't deserve to tie him. Pretty funny stuff, really, watching his meltdown. And yes, I did mention that in the ticket.

The admin DID say the match was conceded to me...but it went down as a loss for me, a win for him. That's a bit confusing. It's also odd that this was in the BB open tourney, so the rage-quitter gained a point for this, while I got nothing. Had it been in Ranked, I honestly wouldn't have cared (or even posted this, lol).
johnnih

Post   Posted: Jan 01, 2018 - 22:06 Reply with quote Back to top

cmok wrote:
The admin DID say the match was conceded to me...but it went down as a loss for me, a win for him. That's a bit confusing.

This seems to me to be the most important bit of information and certainly should have been in your original post. It kinda answers your own question as well, as it should be clear that an error was made - and that your opponent's behavior is not acceptable under FUMBBL rules.

You have been wronged, but it doesn't seem to me, you try your best to have the confusion cleared. Another support ticket for the admin mistake is probably more constructive than whatever this thread is.
DonnyRainboe

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2018 - 00:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I have only recently witnessed what I believe to be 'ducking'. I've been on Fumbbl for years and this is the first and only time I've personally experienced this.

In the admins defence its a busy time of year or responsible family types (the guys that make good admins) but I've never had 'no show' tickets open this long.

Not blaming anyone, is there anything I can do to help? (Outside of submitting anothet ticket)
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2018 - 05:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I am betting that you ran into a RED TAPE or BUREAUCRACY issue here.

You were in a TOURNAMENT right?

What it sounds like to me is you followed the normal Disconnection Rules.
But you did not follow the TOURNAMENT Rules.
Thus your opponent got the Tournament WIN... and he probably won by a Coin Flip.

It appears you understand the disconnection rules... so I am going to skip that.

When you are playing a Tournament Game and there is any sort of scheduling issues that might cause you and your opponent to be unable to complete your game by the deadline you need to contact the specific Admin of your Tournament Bracket.

So... if you have a Disconnect, or your Opponent has been Offline for days, or your Opponent is not responding to your attempts to contact, or maybe YOU have to be UNAVAILABLE for a few days putting a strain on your deadline and possibly requiring a brief extension, or FUMBBL is not working at the time you have agreed to play your opponent... or whatever might keep you from getting the game played on time... you MUST contact the Admin of your Tournament Bracket to inform him of these issues.

So... because you were in a Tournament and you waited and you did not contact the proper Admin your deadline passed (AND your OPPONENT was not online contacting the Tournament Admin either) the Tournament Admin forfeited the game by Flipping a Coin and you lost the Coin Toss.

Or maybe your opponent lied to the Admin... or maybe he tried to pull off a crooked moe like you describe... but HONESTLY I doubt it. (I don't doubt a possible Rage Quit, although idk.) I don't know who you were playing AND you SHOULD NOT name names in this instance.

What you SHOULD DO is contact the Tournament Admin. His name is linked at the top of your tournament bracket (most likely). Ask him why and explain what happened. He might even reverse his decision... but don't count on it. But he WILL investigate your opponent and if the facts show your opponent to have been cheating he will receive some sort of BAN. And maybe just a warning and a mark on his record that he has been warned (maybe he is a NOOB and doesn't know better... maybe he is 11 years old. idk).

To me this looks like FUMBBLs Left Hand not knowing what its' Right Hand is doing. Just a misunderstanding (on your part) of how the site Bureaucracy works. And it usually works pretty good especially considering it is all volunteer. You just stumbled blindly into a small Loop Hole in FUMBBL Government.

Anyway... check into what I am talking about and let us all know if I got that right. I could be entirely wrong.
Rbthma

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2018 - 07:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I assumed he was referring to the Jake Steel Blackbox Trophy as a "tournament", but this thought crossed my mind as well.

You forgot to capitalize BUREAUCRACY - looks that much more sinister and imposing that way Wink
koadah

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2018 - 10:45 Reply with quote Back to top

It looks as though he has deleted all his teams. Wonder if he'll be back.

Jump to: