39 coaches online • Server time: 14:04
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
notbobby125

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2018 - 06:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Grail Pilgrim: 40K 0-16 6/3/2/7 Thick Skull G/ASP
Battle Pilgrim: 60K 0-4 6/3/3/8 Frenzy GS/AP
Grail Squire: 80K 0-2 7/3/3/8 Kick off Return, Sure Hands G/ASP
Pegasus 160K 0-1 9/4/4/8 Leap, Very Long Legs, Mighty Blow, Really Stupid, No Hands SA/GP
Grail Knight: 170K 0-1 7/4/3/9 Block, Dauntless, Catch, Thick Skull, Leader GSA/P

Rerolls 70K
Apothocary: Yes

Background:

In the days of old, the greatest knights of Bretonnia, those who slayed the giant beasts who attacked the world, those who dueled chaos knights, who bravely rode into battle after battle on their mighty steeds, and resist the temptations of the world, were chosen by the Lady of the Lake to receive the ultimate gift, a drink from the grail. The knights who survived the sip were turned from men into legends, who could easily best all but the greatest Chaos Champions. Some were even graced with something beyond a normal horse, but a flying Pegasus.

These grail knights would find themselves no longer followed by just their loyal squires, but hoards of pilgrims, religiously following their God on Earth into battle, regardless if the Grail Knight wanted it or not. They would take any scrap of armor, cloth, or even food the Grail Knight discarded, and often even mobbed a knight who had fallen in battle for loot, not always checking to see if the Grail Knight was or was not alive before doing so. Luckier Grail Knights would bed the magical women blessed by the Lady of the Lake, the powerful Grail Damsels.

Yet, those glory days are over. War is over. Monsters are no longer roving the countryside but being stuffed into uniforms to take up space on the blood bowl pitch. The horrors of Chaos are no longer readying armies to kill but readying to throw the ball. When Grail Knights kill the beasts, they find themselves booed out of stadiums for halting a game early or for breaking the no riding creatures rules. Even the seemingly honorable lesser knights have taken to the game.

Many Grail Knights have put away their steeds and armor, and given up on their quest. Some, however, have taken their religious followers, for the blood bowl field is not so different from the battlefield. There is glory to win, chaos to fight, monsters to slay. The Grail may no longer be allowed to fight with their steeds, but by the Lady they will fight besides them.

Rational:

Grail Knights are Knights of Bretonia who have completed their quest, and drank from the grail. Since they are essentially the leaders of teams of fanatic knight zealots, it was clear that one Grail Knight would be the center piece of the team. I essentially took a Questing Knight from the Secret League league team and massively beefed it up. As the lore says they are physically strong enough to match the greatest chaos champions, strength 4 was an absolute minimum. I considered five strength, but block and dauntless already represents their greater strength. Armor 9 and thick skull represents their greater endurance. Finally, leader was a must as they are, intentionally or otherwise, the leader of a fanatic mob. (Also I didn't want anyone else to even think about being a leader while this guy is around). I at considered giving them decay to represent them being mobbed by the Grail pilgrims, but that felt like a bridge too far into an over
described player. If this player needs a nerf that would be my first suggestion however.

The Pegasus is a flying horse, which is represented by a blistering 9 speed, agility 4, Very Long Legs, and leap. However, the pegasus has no hands, so no hands. Also, horses are stronger than normal human, so strength 4. Pegasi are loyal creatures, but they need directions on what to do, so it is saddled (ha ha ha) with really stupid and no general skill access.

Grail Squires are really close to being just squires with a different names. However, Grail Knights should get the cream of the crop when it comes to squires, so these squires have an extra movement speed.

Grail Pilgrims are also very similar to the peasants of the Bretonian roster. They are often just peasants who are fanatically devoted to a Grail Knight. However, these guys are often depicted at having bits of the Grail Knights old armor or fasilimies of their idols platemail, so they have thick skull to indicate a bit of extra durability.

Grail Fanatics are Grail Pilgrims who have fought and survived long enough to gain some kind of combat skills, so an increase of agility and a combat skill was in order. I considered wrestle, but that felt both out of style for a crazed knight fanatic and reminded me of the yeomen from the massively overpowered season one Bretonian roster. So I chose Frenzy.

Last edited by notbobby125 on Feb 23, 2018 - 17:39; edited 2 times in total
delusional

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2018 - 09:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Give the Pegasus Very Long Legs. Put that skill to use! (maybe reduce agg to 4??)

OVerall I like the idea of the team. It is very reliant on a few key players though.
Nightbird

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2018 - 17:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Needs work. Positionals are lacking as the team is too dependant on the two 0-1 positions. The Pegasus is too agile. I don't care for the team make up overall, but w/ work it can be a balanced team. Although, there are already bretonnians so its redundant unless this is being suggested as a replacement to them?

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2018 - 17:38 Reply with quote Back to top

delusional wrote:
Give the Pegasus Very Long Legs. Put that skill to use! (maybe reduce agg to 4??)

Fair enough.
notbobby125

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2018 - 17:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Nightbird wrote:
Needs work. Positionals are lacking as the team is too dependant on the two 0-1 positions. The Pegasus is too agile. I don't care for the team make up overall, but w/ work it can be a balanced team. Although, there are already bretonnians so its redundant unless this is being suggested as a replacement to them?

I lowered the Pegasus' agility. The point of both the team and the lore of the Grail Knights is that the military "units" surrounding the Grail Knights (basically the Grail Knight+the pilgrims) is that the Grail Knight is the centerpiece of that unit, which demandes a Grail Knight be the center of a Grail Team.

Also, this team is just my proposed team rather than some kind of replacement for the Bretonian Roster in Secret League ( https://fumbbl.com/help:SecretLeague ). I think it's fair as the Dark Elves have two extra teams (Witch Elves and Khainite Assassins), two different Nippon teams (Nippon and Northern Nippon), Regular Dwarves have two extra teams (Slayer Teams and Engineers), there are five different Skaven rosters, (Clan Eshin, Mors, Moulder, Pestilens, and Skryre)... I can go on.

My point is that having one "extra" Bretonian team is not over doing Bretonia, at least compared to some of the other factions.
Rbthma

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2018 - 18:29 Reply with quote Back to top

notbobby125 wrote:

...Luckier Grail Knights would bed the magical women blessed by the Lady of the Lake, the powerful Grail Damsels...

Yo! where all the magical Grail Damsels at?
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2018 - 18:31 Reply with quote Back to top

To be honest one bretonnian team was one team too many.

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2018 - 18:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Rbthma wrote:
notbobby125 wrote:

...Luckier Grail Knights would bed the magical women blessed by the Lady of the Lake, the powerful Grail Damsels...

Yo! where all the magical Grail Damsels at?

Oh, that was from an early draft. However, no skills matched Grail Damsels powers. The closest was bombidier for their "comet of death", but that would require that the opponents could "catch" spells. It was dumb.

Also, Grail Damsels count as wizards, and those are banned from the game.
gpope

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2018 - 22:12 Reply with quote Back to top

ArrestedDevelopment wrote:
To be honest one bretonnian team was one team too many.

Personally I don't care about the world or the fluff, so I see no particular obstacle here.

The flipside, though, is that just because something is there in the fluff doesn't mean that it needs a team. If you don't care about the fluff, all you're left with is mechanics... so you really need to ask yourself what the point of a team is mechanically. What makes the team special? How is it supposed to play? What options does the team represent, not just in contrast to other teams but also within the team itself? And that's where I think this team falls down.

So the central conceit of this team is that it's centered around two unique super-elite players. OK. That's interesting and different and could be worth exploring. But there are some problems with the implementation. The Pegasus is massively over-specialized. The Grail Knight just has too much stuff. The Grail Squires are already really good ballcarriers, which further limits the possibilities for the Grail Knight. With 8 positionals the peasants feel a little too much like min/maxed line fodder (since ideally that's the only thing you'll have to use them for) as opposed to an actual rabble.

If I was going to try to tackle this I think I'd be looking at something like this:

Peasants 0-16 40k 6/3/2/7 Thick Skull G/ASP
Battle Pilgrim: 70k 0-4 6/3/3/8 Frenzy, Thick Skull GS/AP
Grail Knight: 150k 0-2 8/4/3/9 Loner, Block, Dauntless, Pro GAS/P

Axing the squires means more linemen on the pitch (reinforcing the mob concept) and makes coaches think harder about whether they want to tie up a grail knight on ballcarrier duty or leave them free as blitzers. Going 0-2 knights instead of knight + pegasus, with better stats and fewer skills, gives them more room to grow and develop in different directions instead of being shoehorned into given roles. Loner feels necessary to justify such an overloaded stat line (they have the price tag of a Big Guy and should share some of the penalties), and helps emphasize that the Grail Knights operate on an entirely different level from normal mortals. They don't really train or command the followers that mob around them and don't have a lot of teamwork with them. They just do their own thing with general competence, hence Pro.

Still not 100% sold on the concept, though.
 Jump to: