46 coaches online • Server time: 15:23
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Podfrey

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2018 - 00:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Is it possible to request the Game ID be added as a new feature to the Fumbbl client? (eg in the About menu)

This would allow others to spectate and for games to be watched on replay.

Thanks Smile

EDIT: Actually two pre-formatted links would be better:

Link to spectate: https://fumbbl.com/ffblive.jnlp?spectate=XXXXXX

Link to replay: https://fumbbl.com/ffblive.jnlp?replay=XXXXXX

(Where XXXXXX is the Game ID)

Last edited by Podfrey on Mar 08, 2018 - 08:22; edited 1 time in total
noobie2k7

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2018 - 00:24 Reply with quote Back to top

That's a pretty good idea. Allowing you to directly link people into your game somewhat. Would also be good for league or cup finals to get more viewers.

Especially in a world now where more people spend their time in discord channels than actually looking in forums or at the games lists.

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2018 - 00:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I believe the Group pages has an "Upcoming Games" tab if both coaches use the scheduler but I could be wrong, it is quite common I am Smile

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2018 - 01:04 Reply with quote Back to top

That still requires people going to the group pages to look which is a pretty passive thing while allowing people to copy and share the gameID is an active thing to get people in. Also quicker. Since while you can tell people oh, go through the group pages to find my game they could have just used that message to link the gameID directly instead.

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2018 - 01:23 Reply with quote Back to top

So use the site bookmark feature to save save the link to the upcoming game so you can share it quicker.

Btw, I am not trying to belittle the request just trying to offer solutions that already exist which whilst not perfect may go some way towards a solution albeit temporary.

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2018 - 01:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Sometimes a quality of life change or fix is still a good thing to have.

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2018 - 08:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Dalfort wrote:
So use the site bookmark feature to save save the link to the upcoming game so you can share it quicker.

Btw, I am not trying to belittle the request just trying to offer solutions that already exist which whilst not perfect may go some way towards a solution albeit temporary.

That should be fine for Scheduled games, Unfortunately that option doesn’t address the subject of the OP; how to get the link for games run in TEST mode
Rawlf

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2018 - 14:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Games are numbered in order of when they are started. So before you start the test game, hover over the youngest game in the games list, check its ID and try the spectate link with the next number. Trial and error will bring you to your test game at some point.
Podfrey

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2018 - 14:36 Reply with quote Back to top

LOL - I've just spent 10 mins working that out before I saw your post Rawlf! Thanks, and I have updated the FUMBBL Test Mode Wiki with this information.

Still, I don't think it's a big ask to have a handy couple of links.
Rawlf

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2018 - 15:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Kalimar (the coder of the client) is hardly around anymore, any change of the client is very unrealistic at the moment.
Maybe Christer could find a way, although it is generally reasonable to have test games invisible. Even then, it is a very niche issue and Christer a busy man so you better dont get your hopes too high.

Maybe you could just create a league if you want several people involved?
Christer

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2018 - 15:57
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

As a general rule, I'm not going to spend much time on making it easier for people to run leagues and things using test mode. For obvious reasons, test mode games don't get processed by the site, which means the matches played like this do not show up in statistics.

It's significantly better if people avoid playing leagues using test mode and I'm more inclined to spend time developing the tools and features necessary to support the various types of leagues people want to run on the site.
VonKortez

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2018 - 17:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Can´t join games, can´t spectate. Can´t send PM. Something has gone wrong I think.
koadah

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2018 - 17:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I guess that the test mode thing is linked to editing teams.

Probably not minor.

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2018 - 17:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I start a game, then go to current games, right click on spectate, and then share that link.

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2018 - 00:35 Reply with quote Back to top

sann0638 wrote:
I start a game, then go to current games, right click on spectate, and then share that link.

Sadly that doesn't work in TEST mode as the games don't appear in Current Games Sad
 Jump to: