37 coaches online • Server time: 01:01
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Derekhunt

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2018 - 01:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Was playing vs a hybrid team with my first game of dwarves.

Found it VERY hard after losing two men early on in the first half (i think in the 1st and 3rd turn - badly hurts). Now I am a beginner with dwarves so not sure if i am missing something in my play.

I just couldnt cage up on my drive and was relying on a potato play...
Rags

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2018 - 01:12 Reply with quote Back to top

PurpleChest is the Dwarf master, and Tussock is no slouch either (though he'll tell you himself he got lucky in our last fumbbl cup clash). Maybe check out some of their matches, PC knows how to handle any situation.

Quick aside - I probably should take my own advice and so some homework. My only Dwarf team have been whippped abut 7 out of 10 games.
Rags

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2018 - 01:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Another aside - no sooner had I mouthed off than discovered that Tussock Dwarves vs my Elves rematch is game on! https://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=group&op=view&p=tournaments&group=7922
Derekhunt

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2018 - 01:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Lol good luck!
Chainsaw

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2018 - 01:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Just keep rolling dice.

Can't win 'em all. Sometimes you won't break AV6 but your opponent will roll over your AV9. With dwarves the main goal is to hope the law of averages catches up.

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2018 - 03:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Hell if I know, PC still gets me in the Dorf mirrors we hit in tourneys.

But get forward. That's true for every team of course, the ball being where you score instead of where they score is a big deal, dorfs are just exceptionally slow about it so you really have to commit, every turn. Make room, get forward, anything, couple guys, it's fine. As always, potato plays are often very bad and you should blitz and dodge some guys out in support if you have to break with a runner. Don't be afraid to dodge out the blockers when you need to.

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2018 - 05:24 Reply with quote Back to top

When your Dorfs get CAS'd out early you CAS his out soon after.

When they give 1 of yours the Boot... you get them with the Chainsaw.
When they hit yours with a Knock Out... you hit back with a Badly Hurt.
When they give yours a Serious Injury... you send 1 of theirs to the morgue.

THAT! Is the Dorf way!!!

Or is that the Chicago way??? idk I suck at Dorfs
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2018 - 11:09
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

There’s a well known joke about a tourist in Ireland who asks one of the locals for directions to Dublin. The Irishman replies: ‘Well sir, if I were you, I wouldn’t start from here’.

At the risk of sounding like that local: the problem isn't that you lost guys early, partly because you didn't, but a combination of other issues. I am going to try to help, but there will be a modicum of tough love involved, sorry for that, but you did ask.

I said 'you didn't' because I watched the replay, you lost a beard on turn 1, and another on turn 7. But by turn 7 you were already 1-0 down and about to be 2-0 down as he broke up your return drive after his early touchdown.

It is, however, true that Dwarves struggle short handed. they are also not as good a brand new team as many coaches think/fear, because until they get the guard wall up and running(crawling) they are a slow team of str3 players with little ag.

When they are shorthanded early in the game it will be tough, but as Catalyst32 states eloquently, you trust to your Dwarf fundamentals and Dwarf harder and it should still all work out OK. Indeed you ended the game with 2 humans BH'd, one with an SI and a RIP. Add one in the KO box and you need to face that fact that you DOMINATED the cas dice in that game. Despite that you were lucky to get the TD you did, and against a better opponent you could and should have lost by more.

So the short answer is trust to your AV9 and block everywhere, hope that time doesnt run out before chance normalises and the numbers equalise.

The longer answer is that a lot of your Dwarf coaching fundamentals are not yet in place, and only time and experience will help with that, and that you didn't lose because you were short handed, but because you played badly. I don't want to bewilder you with too much advice too early but some things to be thinking about:

Starting a team that relies on av9 with all 4 possible av8 players is a little risky, especially 2 slayers as frenzy players need guard support to work well and even with that (let alone without it) can end up isolated and in danger. You could maybe think about either one runner or one slayer. The flip side of this is less movement and an even greater need to get your positioning right. While I usually start with one runner and one slayer this is perhaps not ideal for coaches that are newer to Dwarves.

Your best 'tough and mobile' players are your Blitzers with their massive MA5 and near elf like ag3(mild sarcasm alert). Starting both on the LoS is very risky. I hope it was so you dodge them out, but am not sure why that was your plan. The LoS is for beards, who can just stand up and be hit again and again. The Blitzers, especially at low TV, need to be mobile.

While it is true that Dwarves should not fear the One Die Block, they also should not be planning on it. too many times you opened with a one die block when a two dice block was available. Also the Dwarf one die ability works best against non block opponents, against another block wielder it is less reliable and eats rerolls. You major blitzes and blocks should be 2 dice, every time. Save the one die stuff for late turn blocks that matter less.

Every turn your priority should be solving your biggest weakness: slowness. this is mainly done by controlling the field, if you watch that game back you will see that your first half drive was undone by not controlling the field as you retrieved the ball, so by the time you brought it to midfield you were already surrounded. To be fair you tried to counter this by creating a pocket to bring it to, but that pocket was central and as you ceded the wings it allowed him to engulf you. Had that pocket been on one flank it would have been safer, with your slayers making him fear the sidelines.

Don't take on the Big Guy. I know, it's lovely to down a BG, especially a tree. But usually it is better to drop a beard on them and sod off elsewhere. Let them root/Bonehead/Stupid/1in9 fail their block while you concentrate on moving the ball.

Rerolls are for GFI and vital blocks, meaning blocks that keep the ball safe or secure the place the ball is going. not for failed one die blocks that dont matter. Starting with three is great, but throwing them away on a one die block that doesnt matter screams 'i want to lose'.

And finally morale. If you panic, you lose. This is probably why you thought you were two down at turn 3(it was turn 7 remember), because you let the early single cas get you down. Negativity wins nothing. Dwarves will stay better than humans, belief begets better plans than panic and av9 win out in the end.

On the plus side you do seem to be trying to screen and control the field, this will get easier. And while I dont understand 'a potato plan' it seems to mean 'running like hell with whoever i can get free to come along' and in the absence of a good plan a bad plan will always do. it did work out in the end after all, you got a td.

TLDR? This was an easy draw for you, and a possible win, turned bad by bad positioning and terrible blocking choices, likely driven by low coach morale. Get the fundamentals right and being 1 or 2 players down will matter a lot less, while still being far from ideal.

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2018 - 11:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the advice. Poor memory and salt didnt help me.

Yep too many dorfs on the ogre and suffered when i didnt do more than stun the guy.

All the CASs occurred in 7/8 of the the second half. By then the law of averages caught up but i couldnt do much with it unless i had 1 or 2 turns more.

Also sounds like I should recreate a beginner team and go for more av 9
 Jump to: