22 coaches online • Server time: 03:50
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...goto Post Juggernaut as counte...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2018 - 23:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I think they're really nice. I like what less hair does to his face; the last one particularly. When making icons it's great to have a theme you're looking to replicate. For me Marauders (in reality they are marauders) scream Mad Max; especially road warrior and thunderdrome. There are some great looks from those movies.
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2018 - 12:58 Reply with quote Back to top

ArrestedDevelopment wrote:
Yes, i understand, there's lot so talented guys no longer here, but less laments buddy!

The previous "official icons" team (which I was lucky enough to have had a minor role in towards the end (got some human blitzers btw)) was really well structured, with Whatball at the top making sure the icon range was kept consistent.

I think it's worth mentioning that adding to the icons range needs the same kind of art direction and to stick to the old consistency, and should avoid becoming an "anything decent will do" thing imo. This is referring to the Pact Orc Lineman which doesn't fit that well with the rest of icons imo.

Btw AD, the majority of the SL icons were made by cowhead, who worked with HM and Whatball and that lot. Now on hiatus.
Jim_Fear

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2018 - 16:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Harvestmouse had mentioned something I had already been working on for the away kit for Khemri:

(pending picture approval)

More of a cream color for the bones, as well as "warming up" the gold. The blue is also more appropriate this color rather than standard blue.

Home kit there for reference. You'd also have to think about how they would look on the pitch rather than a tan forum background. I have the rest of the icons recolored as so, if interested.

Last edited by Jim_Fear on Apr 19, 2018 - 22:10; edited 2 times in total
misterlonestar

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2018 - 17:47 Reply with quote Back to top

For a truly dizzying array of great icons check out the CIBBL icon page here.

A lot of the original cowhead icons have been improved or replaced altogether.
ramchop

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2018 - 07:59
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Balle2000 wrote:

The previous "official icons" team (which I was lucky enough to have had a minor role in towards the end (got some human blitzers btw)) was really well structured, with Whatball at the top making sure the icon range was kept consistent.

I think it's worth mentioning that adding to the icons range needs the same kind of art direction and to stick to the old consistency, and should avoid becoming an "anything decent will do" thing imo. This is referring to the Pact Orc Lineman which doesn't fit that well with the rest of icons imo.

There are a lot of good points here. However, I'm not sure that icons filling a gap should be delayed until perfected, people want to play the rosters. Icons can be improved upon, temporary ones need not be set in stone.

Christer said on discord during a khorne discussion "If I wanted perfection, nothing would change.. ever." Though the oversized khorne icons prompted me to try and make something more suitable for the NAF roster.

But this thread is not about filling gaps, it's about expanding the existing set, and making things better. So no rush jobs here, time to get things right. I think there could be a panel of volunteers to approve submitted icons, a peer review system if you like.

A suggested check list:

Functional?
- picon configuration correct?
- position style fits with rest of team?
- team style fits with rest of fumbbl?
- home distinctive from away?

Style
Comments:

Recommendation:

If greater than 50% of panelists agree, icon is imported into fumbbl.

---
example:

Khemri linemen, submitted by Jim_Fear
Modification of existing set + expansion

Review by ramchop

Functional?
- picon configuration correct? Yes
- position style fits with rest of team? Maybe
- team style fits with rest of fumbbl? Yes
- home distinctive from away? Yes

Style
Comments: I really like the new blue, and the new bone colour. Should the Red team also have the new bone colour? Some concern about the amount of gold on the two new skeletons - may cause problems distinguishing from Thro-ras. Would need to see whole recoloured team before deciding

Recommendation: Maybe tone down the gold on the two new skeletons. Review again when see the whole recoloured team.
ramchop

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2018 - 08:07
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

and a self review (if there was a panel review system, no self reviews):

Norse linemen, submitted by ramchop
Expansion (4 new linemen)

Review by ramchop

Functional?
- picon configuration correct? Yes
- position style fits with rest of team? Yes
- team style fits with rest of fumbbl? Yes
- home distinctive from away? Yes

Style
Comments: Not sure about yellow beard, looks OK zoomed in, less so at 100% view. Also not sure about the double stripe on yellow beard's helmet, or the thin shoulder pad stripe. Orange #7, too similar to a troll slayer?

Recommendation: Nothing revolutionary here. Style is consistent with existing set. Have suggested improvements, but OK to approve as is.
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2018 - 09:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Jim_Fear wrote:

I really like the bones/blue colour combo. Very nice.

5th and especially 6th Skeleton has more armour/bling than the others, and could be "misread" as different (eg. blitz-ra).

Suggested change: decrease visual impact of clothing/armour, fore example by replacing/removing.

Last edited by Balle2000 on Apr 20, 2018 - 10:05; edited 1 time in total
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2018 - 10:02 Reply with quote Back to top

ramchop wrote:

The hair colour for lino 7 and 8 should be reserved for Troll Slayers only imo, as its very symbolic. Change of hue, or colder colour would do it.

The hair style of 7 is very nice. Replace a bald/helmeted guy with one more like this, with brown/black/blonde hair.

Would be nice to see different hues of red/blue for the kits as well.
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2018 - 11:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Agree with balle ^

They perhaps need larger area of team colours
Shorter boots and longer pants?
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2018 - 14:05 Reply with quote Back to top

What about using the cream bone colour for the red/home Khemri as well, and not just for the blue/away Khemri?
It looks great.
Jim_Fear

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2018 - 14:38 Reply with quote Back to top

So let’s take a look at what we have here.

First up we have the Away kit with the new bone color and blue trim, this time with two new skeletons, with the gold toned down
I may have to tone down the blue a little bit on the new skeletons for consistency's sake.

Speaking of consistency, here’s the rest of the team with the Away kit redone in the same scheme.

Now, here is an example of the six skeletons with both Home and Away having the bones recolored in a cream/beige scheme.
Truth is I’m not crazy about that look. It lessens the contrast between home and away.

So, I tried a different bone color for home, while still moving away from the stark white the bones were, but keeping with the contrast of Home and Away.

Questions and comments welcome.
Jim_Fear

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2018 - 18:18 Reply with quote Back to top

ramchop wrote:

While I really like the hairstyle for #7, I understand other's notion that the hair color should be reserved for Troll Slayers. I would say keep but recolor.

The single stripe on the shoulder armor is a great touch. I wouldn't over do it, but perhaps on two our three of the eight linemen would be perfect.

Balle made a comment about different hues of red and blue for the kits. That's a slippery slope to start on, as there's a case for all of the races to have slight or drastic changes made to the standard Red and Blue to make the kits look more authentic or "better." The irony of my statement is not lost on me, seeing as how my submission proposes to recolor the entire Khemri team.
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2018 - 19:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Slaan already set a precedent for slight shade differences between the outright red/blue dichotomy. As does the new slibli.

Those slight tones of not so harsh blue look so much better.

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2018 - 22:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Next up, Amazon Line(wo)men:

This is an early draft to see if there's any interest in me taking this further.

Icon #1 and #2 are your standard linemen with new shoulder pads. Nothing too flashy, but it could be used as a variant. Icons #3 through #6 are demonstrating some alternative head/hair options. Again, this is a draft, so hair color has not been finalized. There are still a few more hair options I could mock up if looking for a unique 8 or 9 linemen.

In my head, the Amazon team icons would benefit from a complete overhaul, in which the player's skin tones are darkened (they live in the jungle where the sun shines a lot, so they should be sporting a suntan) and some variations are made to the Red/Blue to make them look more "jungle/native."

I know that I originally has some reservations about drastically altering the color scheme of the icons, but AD made a good point. So, if this is going to "FUMBBL Icons v4" why not go for broke?

Questions and comments encouraged.
Seventyone

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2018 - 23:25 Reply with quote Back to top

i like the pony tail on number 3.

Actually i like all of them...