51 coaches online • Server time: 13:53
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Derekhunt

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2018 - 00:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Also please see my last game against a skaven team. What could I have done better? I was playing BeginnerDorfs which is a dwarf team!

Also please see my game against the undead with beginner dark elves. Any criticism gladly received.
morehouse

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2018 - 04:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Derek, check your Discord...
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2018 - 15:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Some ways to improve:

1) Play a lot, and either don't pick or pick for variety and challenge. Make sure you get some really good opponents, and others who might make mistakes from time to time. Play a few disparate races. Play up and down TV. Mix it up.

2) Watch live games with lots of specs, or ones that are just starting and likely to get some specs (like tournament games). Don't be afraid to ask questions when you don't understand something.

3) Watch your own replays. Often. Don't be afraid to cringe at your own mistakes; that's how you learn.

4) Watch the best coaches' replays, then focus on the coach or two who best fits your style. I'm a big fan of Malmir and PurpleChest, cuz I do many of the same things they do.

5) Find a couple buddies, including a mentor. A coach who's a little better than you, but plays similarly, is a great friend to have. When you start getting good, you'll find yourself taking on up-and-coming coaches whose styles mirror your own.

6) Join a league. NCBB is starting soon, if you're able to play on American time. But there are leagues all around the world here. Leagues give you access to a pool of good coaches that you can befriend and talk game with, facilitating 5, above. The 145 Club is a good place to start if you're not already fairly good.

7) Contact the Faculty of Academy Instructors for a demo game, or three.

8) Donate $10 to FUMBBL and send me two match reports, preferably via Discord but PM is ok too. I'll review them (30 mins each) and give you some pointers, and if you donate an extra $5, I'll send one to Morehouse, who will do the same. I've had nearly 20 people do this, and all but one got advice that they thought was meaningful (the other one just disagreed with my prescription, but hey, you can't please everybody).

9) Join the 145 Discord chat. If you're too good for 145, then help the noobs get better; it'll improve your own understanding of the game as you do so. If you're not too good for 145, the conversation will be enlightening.

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2018 - 16:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I made a couple detailed analysis videos of some fumbbl replays from our Eurobowl team. I try to point out the tactical reasons behind certain moves and what alternatives the players could should have done.
Zirgantz

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2018 - 16:26 Reply with quote Back to top

I would recommend you try playing in Blackbox as soon as you feel you have grasped the basics. It can be a tough school, but learning to make the best of a bad situation is an invaluable lesson. It is too easy in Ranked to stay inside your comfort zone by cherrypicking, and that is not a good way to improve imho. Tenacity is just as important for a coach as, say, good tacklezone reflexes or proper clock/risk management.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2018 - 16:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Box isn't an option for everyone. I think you can play Ranked and improve as long as you're honest with yourself. It really is a test of will, though, to greenlight matchups that don't look "good" on paper, especially against really good coaches, but you gotta throw that stuff into the mix or you don't get better.

The existence of picking does change the dynamics. For example there's an inverse relationship between your CR band and the average CR of your opposition, so as you get better the games in Ranked want to get easier on average (and harder to find), so you have to actively seek out good coaches to balance it out. Or play tournaments, if you can play on European time. Or Blackbox, with the same caveat.

For American coaches who can't play on Euro time, the options are more limited. NCBB is good, gives you a good mix of quality and developing coaches. Also, NCBB is a good intro to the big leagues, which is where I find my challenges (NBFL for me). Leagues are good, because you make friends that you can seek out in Ranked, to achieve the kind of balance I brought up above.

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2018 - 17:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Strider84 wrote:
I made a couple detailed analysis videos of some fumbbl replays from our Eurobowl team. I try to point out the tactical reasons behind certain moves and what alternatives the players could should have done.

I love these. Thanks for reminding me!
 Jump to: