32 coaches online • Server time: 14:55
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2018 - 16:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Winning coach had lost one of his better players, a +AG Ghoul. He'd also had to game for 3.5 hours through all manner of distractions. Was hell for both, neither was having fun at the end. Sad

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2018 - 17:16 Reply with quote Back to top

games are meant to be fun; so i'd be fine with them just calling it cuz it's not fun; and there'd clearly been enough action via tds, and dead players to qualify as a proper game.
Zlefin

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2018 - 17:20 Reply with quote Back to top

another way would be a long game rule: if the game's been playing for at least 3 hours you can agree to stop.
pokrjax

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2018 - 17:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Surprised the commissioner didn't allow a 'mercy' result under those conditions, clearly the victory is assured and the losing coach has more than payed his dues? I certainly would have given him a break. On the other side of the same coin I have had to insist on concessions being done properly when one coach has tried to leave a close game early and trying to force their opponent to accept the score as it stood.
koadah

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2018 - 17:54 Reply with quote Back to top

JackassRampant wrote:
Winning coach had lost one of his better players, a +AG Ghoul. He'd also had to game for 3.5 hours through all manner of distractions. Was hell for both, neither was having fun at the end. Sad

Was anyone else watching? Wink

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2018 - 17:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Commissioner (me) had gone home to bed at halftime. I decided retroactively to give the Ogre coach an MVP and winnings* and let the Necro coach keep the extra MVP but not winnings (he rolled a 1 anyway, and the 10k didn't matter much in his money scheme). Really more concerned about going forward.

* Ogre coach started his season 3 games late, replacing a dropout. We gave him 150k extra starting money (enough to start 6 Ogres and 2 RR) and 3 MVPs to help jumpstart him, but he's Ogres and behind the curve to start. 8 games into the season, he still doesn't have any two-skill players, though after the MVP we gave him, he has skills on 5 Ogres now. He's been a real champ about it all; I hope he sticks it out to next season.

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2018 - 19:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, then it seems to be a matter of how competitive the TT league is. If the environment is strictly competitive, then a concession is a concession. If the environment is more about having fun and teaching new coaches how to play, mercy rules or whatever can be applied. But the first post in this topic did not reveal the context.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2018 - 19:19 Reply with quote Back to top

League is me and a bunch of my friends and their friends. I've been playing for >20 years, the rest of them have 0-2 seasons under their belts. We intend to make this a competitive league, but we've got a ways to go before that happens. Right now, there are coaches who don't want me to play Halflings because they don't want Halflings taking home the trophy. So I play Underworld and beat the pants off all of them. Usually I coach them in the process. It won't be like that next season or the one after that.

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2018 - 19:31 Reply with quote Back to top

If they both wanted it to end why didn't they just end it? It's the equivalent of "clicking through" on Fumbbl...
gpope

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2018 - 19:47 Reply with quote Back to top

As has been pointed out... if both players a agree to end there's nothing at all stopping them from just ending all their turns immediately until the game rnds. So both players can agree to call it any time in the second half without needing any house rules at all (if it's the first half,technically they need to set up and roll for a new kickoff; but it should be quite rare that both coaches want to call it in the first half.)

So, you only really need a mercy rule to handle the situation where one player is hopelessly out of the game and the other player still wants to drag it out. This is a much thornier situation since you're overriding one player's wishes... although after a certain point, you do kind of have to ask yourself if that's the sort of person you even want in your gaming group, especially in a league full of newbies.

(The bigger issue is--you let a new coach play ogres? Did they really know what they were getting into?)
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2018 - 20:39 Reply with quote Back to top

This is one of the coaches with a couple seasons under his belt. And he insisted. He's having fun, and he did manage a tie once. Smile