11 coaches online • Server time: 06:19
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mrt1212

Post   Posted: May 15, 2018 - 01:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Had my NBFL playoff game last night and blew it on turn 5 2nd half with a failed OTTD attempt. You can watch the replay right here.

Afterwards I began thinking...wow do I guide my offensive drives, OTTDs included to the lower portion of the client. So much so that I totally ignored Eldril and his passblock skill on a pass that eventually fell flaccid due to Eldril forcing a 3+ catch that failed.

I took a step back and started thinking about how by and large I mostly push my offense through the bottom half the client. There are a few exceptions like running an elf on a leak-out route to empty space in the top half after the inertia of the drive gets the opposing coach into an over committed position in the bottom half.

So I have to ask - do my fellow coaches also have a rote habit of play, consciously or unconsciously that guides them to choosing to push their drives towards one side of the client?

In general, especially with some symmetric defensive setups that don't put players in the flanks, I just gravitate towards the bottom. If it's asymmetric or there are specific players on the bottom half that I don't want to deal with, say a SS or SF player or leaping ball stripper, I might go towards the top half but that's maybe 1 out of 5 times. I still try to force things down south.

Just curious if anyone has noticed this about themselves.

And yes, I'm saying clearly that I'm a power bottom.
Entrooppi

Post   Posted: May 15, 2018 - 01:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, I play the bottom half too. I actually play it quite often on the tabletop too, if the board is sideways between us. This is an interesting point.
details5252

Post   Posted: May 15, 2018 - 01:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Absolutely. If the defense is symmetric, I always go bottom. I think it stems from our general top down, left to right, way of doing things. Cognitively, I think it's easier to play out a multi move play working from the middle to the bottom than from the middle up.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: May 15, 2018 - 01:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh another question just to see if there might be a relationship (not that this is robust statistical analysis or anything). I'm right handed and gravitate towards the bottom. I wonder if lefties are more apt for the top.
thoralf

Post   Posted: May 15, 2018 - 02:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Pass Block bias is strong.

Post   Posted: May 15, 2018 - 03:01 Reply with quote Back to top

weaklings!

I ALWAYS GO NORTH. NORTH IS THE WAY OF CHAMPIONS, LIKE THE HELLOBOUND. NORTH IS THE WAY TO THE DUST. NORTH IS THE WAY HOME.

Post   Posted: May 15, 2018 - 05:52 Reply with quote Back to top

thoralf wrote:

Which is a shame in that it CAN BE a very useful skill in the right match-ups.
I used to use it with a Norse Team that ONLY played Elves and was built to Counter Elf.
It helped to take away that Deep Pass threat and force them to go Teeth to Teeth with my Norsemen.

But the bias against the skill is ingrained here NOT just because the skill stinks in the wrong match-up.
But the BUGS with Pass Block which BREAK THE GAME really add to it.

Nothing worse that a skill you rarely get to use (because FUMBBL coaching is SO RUN HEAVY)...
But then you finally get to use it... or it gets used against you and the game FREEZES.
tussock

Post   Posted: May 15, 2018 - 05:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Lefty, I used to go South all the time, now it's a contest of how balanced the defence is, just find a player that's a weakness if I put a TZ on 'em, or can't reach with Frenzy, or keep the hell away from the stripper, avoid stand firm, very few defences can cover both wings and be anything like symmetrical after a while.

But I too have missed Eldril's Pass Block when 1-turning, and in general play. It's a rare skill to see in use even when Eldil's on, and there's a lot to think about that's not Pass Block on the way. No longer miss Disturbing Presence or Diving Tackle (40 days and counting!), so eventually I'll stop missing Pass Block too, or just kill Eldril earlier on, he's such a cork.

Post   Posted: May 15, 2018 - 06:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Lol 40 days and counting...disturbing presence anonymous. Got my token!
mrt1212

Post   Posted: May 15, 2018 - 06:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Catalyst32 wrote:
thoralf wrote:

Which is a shame in that it CAN BE a very useful skill in the right match-ups.
I used to use it with a Norse Team that ONLY played Elves and was built to Counter Elf.
It helped to take away that Deep Pass threat and force them to go Teeth to Teeth with my Norsemen.

But the bias against the skill is ingrained here NOT just because the skill stinks in the wrong match-up.
But the BUGS with Pass Block which BREAK THE GAME really add to it.

Nothing worse that a skill you rarely get to use (because FUMBBL coaching is SO RUN HEAVY)...
But then you finally get to use it... or it gets used against you and the game FREEZES.

Ill need confirmation but i feel like its literally only eldril that breaks the client on a pass block fail. I havent noticed it in a long spell otherwise.
bghandras

Post   Posted: May 15, 2018 - 07:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Nuffle's perceptual existence is the biggest cognitive bias. (The blue team has the better luck all the time XD)

Post   Posted: May 15, 2018 - 07:08 Reply with quote Back to top

My cognitive bias is that if I am playing Elves, I get shafted. Bash, shafted. Stunty, shafted. Hybrid, shafted... Apart from that, most things go swimmingly. Very Happy

Post   Posted: May 15, 2018 - 08:37 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:

Ill need confirmation but i feel like its literally only eldril that breaks the client on a pass block fail. I havent noticed it in a long spell otherwise.

It is just Eldril - or more precisely the combination of pass block and hypnotic gaze.

https://fumbbl.com/p/bugs?id/10
tussock

Post   Posted: May 15, 2018 - 08:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Not getting to Pass Block with Vamps is sadness.

Pass Block also locks the game if you dodge/leap out of Tents and fail the Tents check during the steps.

https://fumbbl.com/p/bugs?id/12

Or if you Pass Block toward a punt and can't get into an intercept legal square, because there's no catcher to apply a TZ to, or you stop in the empty square the ball is aimed at.

https://fumbbl.com/p/bugs?id/30

But that is the only three ways that Pass Block will kill the game. Very Happy

Post   Posted: May 15, 2018 - 09:04 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
weaklings!

I ALWAYS GO NORTH. NORTH IS THE WAY OF CHAMPIONS, LIKE THE HELLOBOUND. NORTH IS THE WAY TO THE DUST. NORTH IS THE WAY HOME.

Always go to the bottom of the screen. The enemy gate is down!
 Jump to: