39 coaches online • Server time: 10:27
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Christy

Post   Posted: May 15, 2018 - 09:15 Reply with quote Back to top

So I have recently started a Norse league team that has done alright so far - largely due to the grace of Nuffle.
https://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=898783

However I realised that I don't use dauntless. However whenever I try and think of when to use it I worry about failing the check and skulling on a 1db/-2db or burning a reroll.

What should I be looking out for to know when to strike with Dauntless? Last block of the turn? A high st player I can't get assists on? Or should I use it more aggressively and ensure assists I would have used can go elsewhere?
awambawamb

Post   Posted: May 15, 2018 - 09:29 Reply with quote Back to top

as every dice roll, it's a chance. you can knit out a perfect tin can opener but all it takes to kill it is a not-so-remote combination of dice rolls.
when you're using dau.tless, put on your best bloodbowl face and go with the flow.

Arktoris

Post   Posted: May 15, 2018 - 09:34 Reply with quote Back to top

dauntless works well with block. Even if you fail the dauntless roll, the block helps save you. 1d blocks only fail as often as elves fail dodging. Just do the 2d and easy stuff first.

-2d fails about 1 in 3 times, which is the same as dodging. Only difference is, if you dodge away, you have no chance of clobbering the bad guy (which is 1 in 4 if they don't have block)

Post   Posted: May 15, 2018 - 09:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I remember you using it well against my mummies during out first fringe game, Christy. As I recall, you used it quite early in the turn to break the line of blockers enabling other 2 dice blocks. At least one mummy didn't have block which probably helped a lot. Risky, but I remember it making a difference. Big guys without block might be a good target based on the same logic.
pokrjax

Post   Posted: May 15, 2018 - 10:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I remember the conventional wisdom going: if failing the dauntless roll means a -2d with block, you're best off saving your reroll to avoid skulling the -2d than trying to pass the dauntless roll. Having said that, trying to make sure a failure would still be at least a 1d, and against a non-block player, would be sensible.

Other than that it's kind of a freebie skill on a player that's already pretty good, so if the opportunity comes up to make use of it, great. But I wouldn't worry too much.
ben_awesome

Post   Posted: May 15, 2018 - 12:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Does it work with multiblock yet?
JmBeers

Post   Posted: May 15, 2018 - 14:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I find dauntless to be a skill best used with weaker teams like humans or rats. With Norse you have the Ulf's so I hardly use daunt with them.
Christy

Post   Posted: May 15, 2018 - 15:13 Reply with quote Back to top

@Joe. I had forgotten about that. I remember feeling like I could be under real pressure if I didn't manage to disrupt that line quickly.

For everyone else thank you. Weirdly I had never thought of the odds of a -2db before. I think I will try and get a can I use dauntless phase into my turns (which will be followed by deciding what to do and what is appropriate. At least if I remember it I might use it.

The ulfs do take a lot of the work of dauntless. Might be able to use my s4 runner for big guys though (while he lives given he is at 6av).

Will try and keep it in mind (and anything else anyone has to add)
garyt1

Post   Posted: May 15, 2018 - 21:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I have some bloated zombies with dauntless. Actually it is pretty helpful against teams like Orcs and nurgle. Some guard and some dauntless and you can actually bash at some of those strong players to turn the tide.
This guy is a solid hitter. Tackle and pro on top really helps him take down some good players. But rather expensive Very Happy Also zombies are reasonably durable if you fail. An armour 7 player is more of a risk though some people put it on strength 2 catchers. Usually I would not use a team reroll on the dauntless roll as you might still pow, though I might on the actual block.

https://fumbbl.com/p/player?player_id=8099684

As mentioned s4 players wont use it as much.

Post   Posted: May 15, 2018 - 22:46 Reply with quote Back to top

remember: IT WILL FAIL WHEN YOU MOST NEED IT. PLAN ACCORDINGLY

OR, SINCE YOU ARE NORSE, DRINK ACCORDINGLY

Post   Posted: May 15, 2018 - 22:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I usually try to secure a 1d6 at least before factoring in dauntless so that even with the fail of dauntless it's a 1d6 block. Too simple right?
uzkulak

Post   Posted: May 15, 2018 - 23:21 Reply with quote Back to top

It succeeds a lot more often than it fails, also I find dauntless players are more likely to roll +str.
Christy

Post   Posted: May 16, 2018 - 00:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I went more aggressive with it. Possibly didn't help that the rest of the game went badly (both via play mistakes and luck) and so I struggled to get assists but it worked well when I used it. My turn 1 plan worked to knock out a Snow Troll. I mean I didn't get to execute the plan till turn 14 or so due to a thrown rock but that is not the point.
delusional

Post   Posted: May 16, 2018 - 06:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Dauntless is different vs Big guys and vs Str4 players.

str3 vs str5 and you loose you get 2db against you. If you have an assist vs str4 and you loose, you only get 1db.

Also don't underrate Pro in this. If you have a pro dauntless player, you may use pro to reroll the dauntless and save a team reroll for the actual block.
MarckusOfCamlan

Post   Posted: May 21, 2018 - 21:59 Reply with quote Back to top

"It succeeds a lot more often than it fails, also I find dauntless players are more likely to roll +str."

I feel the same Very Happy
 Jump to: