47 coaches online • Server time: 14:35
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Would you participate in this tourney?
Yes
50%
 50%  [ 8 ]
No
31%
 31%  [ 5 ]
Depends on some specifics
18%
 18%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 16

gpope

Post   Posted: May 14, 2018 - 18:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Klazam wrote:
Stage 5: and repeat until all teams run out of budget or all players is drafted (if a coach cant afford to fill a team with 11 mens, fill that team with the players with lowest TV possible from among the "deleted" players)

I really like these ideas for streamlining the whole process but IMO I think there should probably just be a standard "filler" piece. Using the pool of deleted players is going to lead to some weird metagaming where coaches throw in an unskilled snot/fling as one of their picks. Which is funny, but doesn't necessarily seem to be in the spirit of the tournament as proposed, and would lead to possible conflicts if multiple teams go broke and a limited number of booby players have to be apportioned between them--figuring out who gets what, etc.

Just saying unfilled spots get a standard rookie piece seems simpler and fairer. Depending on how punitive you're feeling this could be anything from human lineman down to snotling; you could probably slap Loner on them too if you really wanted to encourage coaches to budget for 11 "real" players.
Klazam

Post   Posted: May 14, 2018 - 18:43 Reply with quote Back to top

bghandras's suggestion is
"
premises:
- every option is auction
- minimize the number of transactions needed
- motivate effective bidding
- limit gaming potential

proposed solution
- Coaches bid for the next draft picks.
- Coaches have a budget to spend (like 1000k TW)
- Coaches could increase the bid by a minimum of 10k, and only round 10k can be used as bid.
- Coaches have a pod number which defines who has priority. The guy with priority makes the first bid. (This is an advantage, as tied bid is not an option.)
- The winner of the bid gets the next pick, and pick a player from the pool.

This is efficient as all options are auctioned, a price of a player is well defined, only 2-3 sensible values can come up, and the priority does mean a real advantage, eliminating the 'i offer 10k for the next wardancer' type of nonsense. Also eliminates the arbitrage at the backend of the draft.

Example: Best available player is a wardancer. I have the priority. I know the dancer is underpriced for its CRP value. So if i want to lowball, i could offer 120k for him. If i want the wardancer i could offer 130, and very likely will be mine, as everybody is expected to pass. Someone though, REALLY motivated might offer 140k, and that would be the next draft pick. I hope this makes sense.
"

putting this here for reference
Mattius

Post   Posted: May 14, 2018 - 20:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Great idea, I'd be interested if it was much more simpler.

An auction of players who are rookies. No extra stats, skill etc. Budget at 1400, min 13 players. New draft of 5 players next season.

You could use a fantasy football DIY app or website to run the auction which would save you a lot of the work. Be great to see what people would be willing to pay for a wardancer or gutter runner. Prices not allowed to drop below original price ofc.

Last edited by Mattius on May 14, 2018 - 20:41; edited 1 time in total
mrt1212

Post   Posted: May 14, 2018 - 20:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Mattius wrote:
Great idea, I'd be interested if it was much more simpler.

An auction of players who are rookies. No extra stats, skill etc. Budget at 1400, min 13 players. New draft of 5 players next season.

You could use a fantasy football DIY app or website to run the auction which would save you a lot of the work. Be great to see what people would be willing to pay for for a wardancer or gutter runner. Prices not allowed to drop below origonal price ofc.

It would be great to see what people would be willing to

I'm on a bus to pick up lunch so I can't be as thorough as I want to be here but...

Part of what I want to do is establish a framework that would allow other coaches to take the bits and pieces they like and apply it to their specifications and desires. Why force every coach with an idea to make a bespoke product from the ground up?

Also, I've been looking into some of the fantasy football auction applications, either SAAS or otherwise and have received at least one "our product doesnt do that" reply. Which fine, the search continues.
Klazam

Post   Posted: May 14, 2018 - 20:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Mattius, your idea is great for a progression auction style league.

this tournament, under mrt's vision, would be a nonprogression one-off tourney, which is also interesting
mrt1212

Post   Posted: May 14, 2018 - 20:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Klazam wrote:

this tournament, under mrt's vision, would be a nonprogression one-off tourney, which is also interesting

Bingo. That really could have legs for a progression league and would be fun in its own right. My initial thought with all of this was a 10-12 game tourney (including playoffs) that we just kick off once a quarter, provided sustained interest. For a league you would just let it run from infancy till death by disinterest and then do a reset when the time comes with a new auction.
Klazam

Post   Posted: May 14, 2018 - 21:03 Reply with quote Back to top

(tbh i'd be interested in both progression and nonprogression versions of this)
Mattius

Post   Posted: May 14, 2018 - 22:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Klazam wrote:

I misread that it was a tourney. I'm off topic, but a league would be great Very Happy
mrt1212

Post   Posted: May 20, 2018 - 21:13 Reply with quote Back to top

I just want to bump this to point out that the elegance of bghandras' suggestion (bidding on the spot rather than player) is sublime. Take a really hard look at it - it accomplishes the goals of determining value for player and clearing the board but...does so in a way that allows more flexibility in auction execution and also adding another layer marginal value analysis: for X TV bid what does the individual bidder consider the best player bang for the
TV bid buck.

It's really a novel way to do it!
DarthPhysicist

Post   Posted: May 20, 2018 - 21:32 Reply with quote Back to top

A couple friends of mine simply want to do the equivalent of fantasy football using the regular league results... and that is a big enough PITA... I told them if they do the stats I don't care what they do...

Jump to: