24 coaches online • Server time: 04:35
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...goto Post Juggernaut as counte...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
garyt1

Post   Posted: May 20, 2018 - 00:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice touch to include the ingame field images Ramchop.

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2018 - 04:01
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

SWL LXI Postseason

SWL has switched to the BB16 seasons rules, so after 7 games we're given a few bags of cash to re-buy our teams. Most teams found they had a bit of extra cash to play with depending on how Season LXI went.

So if there hadn't been a re-buy, how would Bravado have looked going into the new season? 150k treasury would go towards the tree:
1x Tackle wardancer
1x Strip Ball, Mighty Blow wardancer
1x +ST skilled catcher
1x Leader, Accurate thrower
1x NEW tree
1x Kick linemen
1x Block lineman
1x Block lineman (-ag)
2x linemen
1x lineman (-ma)
1x lineman (-ag)
Apo, 2rr, ff4, 30k treasury
12 players (a bench!), carrying some injuries
TV1440

Under the new rules we get:
1000k base
10k per game = 70k
5k per TD = 50k for Bravado's 10
5k per Cas = 30k for Bravado's 6
150k treasury
--------
Total 1300k (ff is free)

Which I spent on:
1x Tackle wardancer
1x Strip Ball, Mighty Blow wardancer
1x +ST skilled catcher
1x Leader, Accurate thrower
1x NEW tree
1x Kick linemen
2x linemen (had spp so re-hired)
3x NEW linemen
Apo, 2rr, ff4, 10k treasury
11 players, carrying some injuries
TV1330

On the face of it I'm worse off: 1 less player, and lost both block linos. However, I have purged the three injuries.

One or two more deaths and I'd be much better off under the new system. Next season if my stars stay alive I expect budgeting for the re-buy will be a lot harder and some difficult decisions will need to be made.
ramchop

Post   Posted: Jun 11, 2018 - 13:04
FUMBBL Staff

BLING!

Image Image Image

My first passing award (yards), and my first All Star scroll.

But that was last season, how's the new one shaping up?...

Bedouin Falcons Conference LXXII

Round 1 Image Green 'n Scabby - Sharper (1340k)
Round 2 Image Lab Rat Elysium - D_Aquebus (1440k)
Round 3 Image Cryptic Cryptids almic (1270k)
Round 4 Image Redgum's Rationalists - Redgum (1390k)
Round 5 Image TingBuDong - HandyKaufman (1370)
Round 6 Image Goonbongburra Windjammers - Balle2000 (1080k)
Round 7 Image Ratty Old Elves Irgy (1370k)

Another good mix of races and coaches, it'll be a tough ask to top this group

Some Season goals:

1) Win the Conference
2) Score 3 TDs in a game (I'm elves, should be easy)
3) 1TTD (didn't manage it with the Norse, but Wood Elves must be doable)
4) At least Five Cas with the Tree (he needs to earn his keep)
5) Don't come last!
ramchop

Post   Posted: Jun 20, 2018 - 12:00
FUMBBL Staff

Game 1: Sharper's Nurgle "Green 'n Scabby" Image

Low TV Nurgle, no Tackle, not much Mighty Blow. If my paper armour could hold it together I might have a chance here. Just need to stay away from those tentacles.

First drive I receive. The woodies spread out and tried to use their speed to split up the opposition and find a way though. Two elves got badly hurt quite early, and the elves were getting into trouble.
A -2D blitz away from the Beast to punch a hole through the thin S4 wall. Anything but a SKULL.....
[POW/PUSH][PUSH]
Through! Scored, Turn 5

4 turns left to stop the Nurgle, Elves do what they do (dodge and screen).

Halftime 1-0, 9 vs 11.

A poor kick by the kicker, but even worse pickup attempt by the pestigor.

T9 Bravado: Time for the BS. Catcher moves up for the assist on the rotter, backfield Wardancer smashes him out the way. Thrower runs forward. Then Dan Dan, runs, gfi, pickup in 2 tzs, gfi, dodge, hurls to an empty square.

T10 Scabby: Dan Dan is blitzed, blodge prevails, he's pushed into another pesti who punches him, blodge prevails. The 3rd pesti runs and collects the ball (picked up after a rr).

T10 Bravado: More BS. Captain Kai the thrower, dodge, dodge, gfi, assist on the ball carrier. Dan Dan, blitz, 3+ dodge [6], 2+ dodge [6], [POW/PUSH][POW/PUSH], pick up [6]. SCORE. 2-0

Nurgle look to score T15. gfi [1]! It's not their day.

Final Score 2-0 (0/1/1 - 2/0/0).

Take away lessons from this one. Stay away from Tentacles! (it felt like only one successful escape from many attempts). My new Tree is squeamish "Ewww!"
ramchop

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2018 - 10:16
FUMBBL Staff

Game 2: D_Arquebus's Skaven "Lab Rat Elysium" Image

I always thought this could be the toughest game of the season. Although the rats took a bit of a beating in their final game of Season 71 (4 deaths!), they had a strong squad. And a strong coach - despite him having never qualified for Prem, after many, many seasons of trying Razz

First drive I kicked. The standard elf screen and dodge is trickier against faster teams. The rat ogre having frenzy made the sideline part of the screen problematic. In the end the rogre pummeled his way through the edge of a disintegrating screen and the rats scored T8.

Half time 0-1

This picture annoys me. Whenever I look at it I see options I could have done better. Both sides depleted, by the heat and the fist. Rats decided to swarm me. If I scored they'd probably win with a few turns left in the game. If I didn't well, maybe I wouldn't. I decided to score.

Tempting as it was for the tree to punch the Rogre, the risk for take root and failed gfi, meant he'd simply lumber up for an assist instead. Blitzer punched away, Rogre punched down and next to the Tree. Elf ran up and away, but tripped on the TD line, RR worked. However, the RR gone presented a problem - what if he failed the catch? I decided to risk it... but first, let's get the catcher somewhere useful in case the pass does fail. Dodge [1], dodge rr [1] - crap!

Having pushed the Rogre next to the Tree, he also happened to be still next to the ball carrier.
Wild Animal [1] YES!!
Loner RR [5] NO!!
Wild Animal [2] NO!!
Punch [PUSH][PUSH] YES!!
Frenzy Punch [POW/PUSH][PUSH] NO!!

From there rats elf it

Full time 0-2 (1/1/0) - (1/0/0)
ramchop

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2018 - 21:19
FUMBBL Staff

Game 3: almic85's Lizardman "Cryptic Cryptids" Image

On Discord just before the game:
[8:53 PM] tussock: Almic's fouling Lizards on at the same time. I like how he plays those.
[8:54 PM] tussock: Skinks putting the hurt on.
[8:55 PM] ramchop: they foul? :scream:
[8:57 PM] tussock: Always check a replay or two of your next opponent's, ramchop.
[8:58 PM] ramchop: homework? i don't play bb to do homework?
[8:58 PM] ArthurWynne: But BB homework is fun!
[8:59 PM] ramchop: if there's homework to be done, learning how to 1 turn seems like a good place to start
[9:03 PM] ramchop: but it generally makes my head hurt
[9:04 PM] ramchop: i prefer the on the fly puzzle solving stuff for which there are no cheat notes
[9:04 PM] faulcon: cheat notes are cool

So what should present itself to me midway through the first half? An on the fly puzzle to solve.

Huge Patrol had leaped in and stripped the ball off a skink in a cage. A lineman had run into two TZs nabbed the ball, dodged away and handed off to the catcher. Looking good, until the lizards swarm in.

So how to get out? The skink ahead has side step, the krox has guard (and a tail of course). I love these situations, how to escape?

Chain push the catcher away from the tail, then dodge clear and short pass over the saurus to the thrower 3+ pass, [1] rr [3], catch [2]

Of course the catcher was in grave danger, and the lizards didn't pass up the opportunity to surf. Crowd were mean, smashed her knee (niggled), apo saves.

Wood Elves run down and score T8. Half Time 1-0

Second half scored fairly early to make it 2-0.

Dan Dan got greedy on the next kickoff and went for a hit on the ball carrier hoping for a 3rd TD for the team. The ball knocked loose, but Dan Dan got punished - fractured skull (-av).

Skink collected the ball, passed to the unmarked Saurus who caught it, rumbled up and scored T16.

Full time 2-1 (1/2/0) - (0/1/0)

A fun win, but missing a Dancer next game might hurt.
ramchop

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2018 - 11:25
FUMBBL Staff

Game 4: Redgums's Chaos Pact "Redgum's Rationalists" Image

This team was moderately terrifying - 6 players with Mighty Blow. I was expecting some pain and took 2 babes with my inducement money.

I received and was forced to score quickly, leaving the Pact 6 turns to grind me into the dirt.

Turn 4:

Let's start with the easy, zero risk moves... OK, apart from a catcher there are none, I decided to hit the ball, 1D with the strip ball Dancer. Dodge and gfi for the lino assist, Dodge and 2x gfi with Huge Patrol. Had to try something. Dodge 2+ [1] rr [1]. That was a very quick turn.
Pact score T8 with only 3 prone elves and a rooted tree left on the pitch.

Half time 1-1

Seven elves on the pitch, there was no way I could screen these monsters for a full drive. I had to attack the ball

T9: 6 elves on the pitch Huge attacks, ball stripped! Ball on the deck.
T10: 6 elves on the pitch. Emily attacks, 2D [POW][POW/Push]. Ball on the deck.
T11: 5 elves on the pitch. Two catchers swarm the lone Orc ball carrier
T12: 5 elves on the pitch. Emily attacks, -2D [BothDown][POW/Push]. Ball on the deck.
T13: 5 elves on the pitch. Prone and stunned, running out of things to do here
T14: 3 elves on the pitch. uh oh
T15: 2 elves on the pitch (including Tree)
T16: Pact score

1TTD failed [SKULL][BothDown] rr [SKULL][SKULL]

Full time 1-2 (1/0/0) - (1/1/0)

A rough game.
ramchop

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2018 - 09:44
FUMBBL Staff

Game 5: HandyKaufmans' Chaos "TingBuDong" Image

The last time I played against Chaos in a SWL regular season was an occasion so painful that I couldn't even write about it. But that was with Ag3 Norse, surely my elves, even without block spam, could simply skip away from danger.

I received and with elf dodging hot, and Dan Dan blitzing on fire, I manged to stall the full 8 turns and score. The stall did result in the second Dancer also getting an armour dent though.

Half time 1-0

Thanks to the mighty efforts of Dan Dan, the second half began with 10 a side. Enough elves to try to screen them out.

The screen slowed the Chaos progress but it wasn't going to stop it.

Turn 14:

I only realised about halfway through the game that Gone Off had Guard. He had taken some hits being positioned as a rookie, but luckily didn't pay for it.

Image Gone Off stands up, Dodge 3+ [5], Dodge 2+ [6], and stands south east of the ball carrier.
Image Dan Dan leaps over the head of the Warrior 3+ [5], Dodge 2+ [5], and stands between Gone Off and the sideline.
Image Emily 1D blocks the ball carrier [POW] into the crowd he goes.

She really should have blitzed, the ball sailed over her head towards the Bravado endzone. On a blitz she could have gone back to get it, but that was left to...
Image captain Kai. He got it, but without Blodge he couldn't keep it, smashed to the turf.

Fortunately elf BS ensued. From endzone to endzone in 2 turns.

Final score:
2-0 (1/1/1) - (1/1/0)
ramchop

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2018 - 21:59
FUMBBL Staff

Game 6: Balle2000's Human "Goonbongburra Windjammers" Image

Time for some analysis, and self-loathing

Turn 15:

Nuffle wasn't having a big influence, the Wood Elves had instead been blessed by Khorne the blood god. 5 cas to 1 , Bravado ran riot. At turn 15 the good guys were leading 1-0 and merely had to stop the depleted humans from scoring. Only two players were in range, a catcher 9 steps away, and a blitzer 8 squares out.

I could have attacked the ball, but I chose a simple two layer screen. No way he could get through that surely.

Leading blitzer hits Gobslag, 1D [PUSHBACK]
Handoff to catcher 3+ [1] catch rr [4]
skips down the sideline
Dodge 4+ [1] dodge rr [5]
Dodge 4+ [6]
Dodge 3+ [4]
GFI 2+ [3] Score

$%$##$!!!!!! Lucker! Bloody Lucker!

Except, 38%. With the inherent skills that humans have, the odds were indeed that high. It wasn't offensive luck, it was offensive skill coupled with huge defensive deficiencies.

I'm sure the odds of scoring could have been cut down massively. One simple change, Dan Dan manning up and marking the lead blizter would have made the same path more like 24%, but I'm sure I could have cut it down further. e.g. what were those players doing at the third line of the screen? - that path was well out of range.

Final score
1-1 (2/1/2 - 1/0/0)

If results in other conferences go my way, and I can win the last game I still have a slim hope of making Prem. But on the strength on my coaching displayed this game, I don't deserve to be in the top tier.
ramchop

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2018 - 10:07
FUMBBL Staff

Game 7: Irgy's Elf "Ratty Old Elves" Image

Every season, 5 teams get promoted to Prem. In a 3 conference league this means the 3 conf winners, and 2x 2nd placers ascend. For Bravado to get through on second place they'd have to do better than the worst 2nd placer in one of the other two conferences. With a R7 win we'd be on 22 points, so how many results from other games would need to fall into place?:

Quotable Folks Conference LXXII
Pugs Not Drugs (necro) 22pts had to lose to Dean Park Rangers (helf) 25pts. Pugs win 2-1 FAIL

Some Kind of Voodoo Conference LXXII
R6: East Farkner Journeymens Club (human) 20pts had to lose to Blackwater Cockfighters (norse) 22pts. Cocks win 2-1 SUCCESS
R7: Wildwood Windlords (woodies) 17pts had to not win against Blackwater Cockfighters (norse) 27pts. 2-2 SUCCESS
R7: East Farkner Journeymens Club (human) 20pts had to not win against Belfast Black Rats (rats) 2-2 SUCCESS

Back in my conference, I'd lose to Redgum on h2h if he won so...
Redgum's Rationalists (pact) 17pts had to not win against Goonbongburra Windjammers (human). Goons win 1-0 SUCCESS

Wow! My game, penultimate of the SWL season, was not a dead rubber! The Farkner draw in Round 7, did mean though that if I managed a win we'd be on even points and it'd go to tiebreaker. First TD diff, then Cas diff.

This meant I needed to either win my game by 2+ points, or win the game with a 4+ cas diff. Against the squishiest team in the conferences, this seemed possible. Either way, I needed the win.....

Half time: 2-1 up, but -1 on Cas!
T16: 3-3, 2+ on cas.

I really really needed to finally get that 1 turn touchdown (and get 2 cas in the process, justifiable T16 foul?). Unlikely, but still possible with my grab tree......

Dean Martin you dick!

Full time: 3-3 (3/0/0 - 1/0/0)
ramchop

Post   Posted: Aug 14, 2018 - 05:21
FUMBBL Staff

The Season 72 goals:

1) Win the Conference FAIL
2) Score 3 TDs in a game (I'm elves, should be easy) SUCCESS
3) 1TTD (didn't manage it with the Norse, but Wood Elves must be doable) FAIL
4) At least Five Cas with the Tree (he needs to earn his keep) FAIL
5) Don't come last! SUCCESS 3rd

2/5 must try harder

And the rebuy for next season. First up the team showed great commitment to the cause and not one wanted to retire. Sadly some didn't have the choice as I had to trim 170k from the roster to squeeze in under the seasonal salary cap. I decided to keep all the favourites, dropped the guard lino (-100k), a reroll (-50k) and replaced a block lino with a rooke (-20k).

Including fan factor, Bravado go into the new season at 1520k tv. One reroll. Scary.

The draw has been made. Two conferences this season meaning a 2nd placing will certainly be enough to go up, even a 3rd could get me there. What am I facing? (in order):

Memories of FUMBBLs Past Conference LXXIII

Round 1 Image Ratty Old Elves Irgy (1500k)
Round 2 Image Beyond the Sunset - Daudy (1450k)
Round 3 Image [adult swim] Tomay (1410k)
Round 4 Image Cloud 11 Stormbreakers - Klazam (1440k)
Round 5 Image Phoenix Academy Sharp Shooters - Bobs (1480k)
Round 6 Image Waaaaghton Redskins Pyates16 (1490k)
Round 7 Image Evil Moon Rising Dlock (1410k)

This is a really tough group. Quite elf heavy, which my Mighty Blow wardancers may love - but all 3 paper opposition are coached by experienced elf coaches (all been in prem with elves before and won it!). And there's enough bash in there to worry my av 6s and 7s. In total 5 of the 7 opposition coaches have won Prem before.

Season goals? Do I have to? Really?

1) Win the Conference
2) Promotion to Prem
3) Thrash someone, 3+ scoreline
4) 1TTD, come on! Grab tree, what could be easier?
5) End the season with 2 stars on the roster

Last edited by ramchop on Aug 24, 2018 - 05:32; edited 1 time in total
ramchop

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2018 - 20:54
FUMBBL Staff

SWL Memories of FUMBBLs Past Conference LXXIII
Game 1: Irgy's Elf "Ratty Old Elves" Image

Rematch!

This time after the post season rebuy there was not much difference in the TV of these two teams. So instead of playing a top elf coach with my significantly higher TV team, I'm playing a top elf coach on a level TV playing field.

Two quite different play styles. I caged and ran. Irgy ran and passed.

Turn 8, Bravado up 2-1, Elves try a 1-turner
Pickup 2+ [4]
Pass 2+ [6]
Catch 2+ [3] (oops wrong catcher)
2D Blitz (need push) [PUSH][POW/PUSH]
2D Block (need push)[POW/PUSH][PUSH]
Hand Over Catch 2+ [3] (right catcher)
2D Block (need push or pow) [SKULL][BOTHDOWN] Team RR [POW][POW/PUSH]
Dodge 3+ [5]
Dodge 2+ [4]
Dodge 3+ [2] dodge RR [6]
GFI 2+ [6]
Dodge 3+ [3]
GFI 2+ [4]...

Turn 16, 3-3, Wood Elves try a 1-turner
Pickup 2+ [3]
Pass 2+ [2]
Catch 2+ [1] catch RR [6]
2D Block (need push) [SKULL][POW] Loner roll [2]

Not even close.

However, not even close is easier to take than being horrifically teased by Nuffle. Back to Turn 8...
Dodge 2+ [1]
Armour Roll [4][4]
Injury Roll [5][6]
Casualty Roll [6][3]
Rapit (the M9 catcher) has been killed

Final Score 3-3 (1/0/1) - (1/0/0)
ramchop

Post   Posted: Sep 03, 2018 - 11:48
FUMBBL Staff

Game 2: Daudy's Norse "Beyond the Sunset" Image

I know how Norse work. Smash and/or be smashed.

First turn, Norse receive. Two wood elves straight into casualty. Looks like the Norse are out to smash. Oh well, it's Daudy, at least there'll be some fun chat to read.

Turn 6, with only 6 non-rooted elves on the pitch, Bravado were keeping a wary distance as the Norse ground their way up the field. No way to screen this one out...

...time for the elf bs

Stoopid 2+ [2] (witches brew)
Leap 3+ [3]
Dodge 3+ [6]
Dodge 2+ [3]
GFI 2+ [5]
GFI 2+ [6]
Wrackle 1D [BOTH DOWN] \o/
... not finished yet... but instead of a Daudyesque wall of text. Let's watch a short film. Enjoy....

Half time 1-0

Second half. Six elves receive. No tree. Gonna be tough. Norse hero Maus House skirts the flimsy screen and hits the ball carrier. Was expecting it, but not expecting him to catch the bouncing ball, what a .... hero. No stopping the Norse drive this time (3 elves left), but before he scored, something a bit weird happened.

The glitch was noticed at the time but the consequences weren't. Caging Rollins didn't just stand up, he shook off the pinched nerve and ended up in the reserves! This bit wasn't noticed until after the set up. There were six elves on the pitch when there should have been only five.

Once noticed though we were both in agreement that he should stay out of it. Frustratingly two turns later, an idiot ramchop ultra focussed on the ball and switching it up and away from the rampaging Norse, forgot that a lino was to be ignored and moved him in for an assist. The Daudy blue text went haywire, but the chat was not seen. Oops.

End result was a Norse blitz required a dodge (with no RR) out of the Rollins' TZ to get the 2D hit on the S3 catcher. Dodge failed.

Felt really shit about this and offered not to score. In the end we decided to roll the 2D blitz that would have been in discord [BOTH DOWN][SKULL], ball carrier would (probably) have been safe. Probably. It's really hard to know how the drive would have actually played out if Rollins hadn't been there. Ball carrier Emily dodged away from the would be assistant (who had burnt the rr getting there), and scored.

Final result 2-1 (1/0/0 - 1/3/0)

Daudy was an absolute top sport about all of this. I'm really unsure how to feel. It was certainly a memorable game.

And Caging Rollins? He really did shake off that pinched nerve. He'll line up to take some punishment against Orcs next round.
Daudy

Post   Posted: Sep 03, 2018 - 12:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Well after making it THREE times in your previous collection of SWL gifs, I figured I needed to up my game to feature again prominently. Very Happy

Oh well. I wonder if we can figure out how to replicate it to maybe know what to avoid or fix.

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2018 - 23:49
FUMBBL Staff

Game 3: Tomay's Orc "[adult swim]" Image

This was always going to be a tough one, but elves can elf

Drive 1: Bravado receives, and scoots up the sideline. The orcs had a woeful run of blocks, but despite being fairly even on numbers the Wood Elves felt forced to score on turn 4.

Drive 2: 5 turns to score, not ideal. Riot! 4 turns to score, deep kick, better. Emily managed to knock over the ball carrier and pick up the ball on Turn 8. Looking good
<Tomay> looks like its going to be a fight just to get a draw now
Turn 8 Orcs score.

Half time 1-1

Drive 3: A long and painful drive. Wrackler Dan Dan snuck in a 1D hit on the surehanded thrower. But the grind ground on, Turn 16 Orcs score.

Quiz time!
One turner prep going well. Who should Kai pass to?
A) 3+ to nerves of steel catcher Emily Snakefield
B) 3+ to Wardancer Huge Patrol, who would then hand off to Emily

It was a trick question. I need to shake off the norse mindset that dictates blocks are the safer first moves. Ball handling first is a sound option for elves. The correct answer was: pass to Emily in 2 TZs on the line before doing any of the chain pushing.

I chose (A), Orc intercept.

Full time 1-2 (1/0/0 - 1/1/0)
 Jump to: