20 coaches online • Server time: 06:36
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...goto Post Juggernaut as counte...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jul 17, 2018 - 21:59 Reply with quote Back to top

As pointed out you are thinking of the underworld creepers not evil gits. The current underworld team is an extremely good translation of the old creeper team. However if you wished to be 100% accurate you wouldn't have mutations on the goblins. Drop the trolls, add 0-4 goblin catchers and the skaven would be made up of.... I don't have my paperwork with me but 0-2 mutants and then you drop either the lino or thrower option.... Blitzers stay as they had the star for sure.

Recently they added the option of an orc to pact to make it a mongrel horde option team. For me this was a terrible idea. Pact was a great translation of the chaos allstars. Mongrel horde is a totally different beast. Possibly it was this team you were thinking of.

Was Mongrel horde a chaos team? Name suggests not. The only real fluff was a picture that had a human in standard human armour punching a team mate. Also in the team was a dark elf, goblin, orc. There is no suggestion to say that humans were overly dominant. This team should be far more mixed race but suffering massively from animosity. For me I think you should have the choice of making the dominant race which would fill 8 slots. The rest suffer from animosity. You lose half your positionals. No chaotic players bar the standard skaven doubles.

Evil gits have possibly less fluff. They were named as a goblin team and were part of the NAF in second ed. However at some point in 3rd ed onwards they were named as a human team. ogre mercs have also been mentioned. Why was this? Possibly a mistake on not knowing the race or not realising the race had been named. Possibly trying to change the direction. 1990s GW were a bit like current lucas films; trying to put their stamp on the product by eradicating what exists.

Now there is several fan based reasoning (unless it has been addressed in the current releases). It's mixed race/They got fed up with the gobs and went in a different direction/The team disbanded after the fall of the NAF and was a new franchise. The last one probably fits best.

In short though there is nothing to suggest that back in the day it wasn't a standard gob team. So that's 0-16 goblins and 0-6 goblin catchers.
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Jul 17, 2018 - 22:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Undies as you say would have 0-2 mutants: one being an obese rat who pretty much had the same stats as the troll has now (in old money), and the other being a three-legged mutant (-ma, kick etc).

Mongrel Horde was, iirc, just an evil-aligned team that got to roll to see who actually turned up to play for them.

Post   Posted: Jul 17, 2018 - 22:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Well neither were a playable option. However you were encouraged to use your creativity in 2nd ed.

The creepers had a printed roster but no stats in the star players book. You could create it I guess, it had the weird star players book experience system.

The main point of the printed famous team sheets was to fire the imagination and let you have a glimpse of the world they lived in. Fluff had far less structure then. More for the role players than the nuts and bolts player.

Mongrel horde had nothing bar a picture and a few comments that had very little thought put into them. Essentially all we have is a picture, reputation and overall results.

Really either you could make what you wanted or follow the official mixed race roster building options.
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Jul 17, 2018 - 22:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Pretty sure my 2nd ed star players handbook has stats for the creepers. A few of them even had cards!

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2018 - 03:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry but this isn't the case. There were 8 famous rosters listed. The content included the teams worth/fame/coach. Then each member of the starting 16 (or less with big guys) had a starting number, position, name and their 'experience'. Late 2nd edition had this weird experience table that was far too convuluted.

Unfortunately there were no stats..............they'd have been gold. The fear there would that these teams my have been confused as being legal, which would have been far too powerful.

It was a different era back then, and different thinking. GW started off as a roleplaying company and this element was very strong still until the next edition of warhammer/blood bowl. They were simply there to fire your imagination and privately create this super team league if you wanted. Something I've done, and I love it.

Yes also with the book you had famous player star cards. These were super unbalanced and......not really clear how they fit into the game. Underworld had 2 (plus there was a merc goblin in companion in UW colours). These 2 definitely had stats.

However the official way (GW had an official league between 88-91 in the UK anyway) was to auction players in sealed envelopes half way through the season for the remainder of the season.
garyt1

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2018 - 04:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Speaking of GW. They have had immense recovery in the last 12 months. According to investors and recent profit. Stock price has multiplied 5x of what it had been for some years.

https://www.bloomberg.com/quote/GAW:LN

Resin models and the disliked one man stores seems to have helped. Also better online community and feedback to customers. Cheaper entry to the games. Will depend if people keep interested in the new versions of Age of Sigmar.

https://moneyweek.com/games-workshop-the-gaming-giant-makes-a-comeback/