23 coaches online • Server time: 03:06
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post On-spot substitution...goto Post Juggernaut as counte...goto Post Custom Icon, Portrai...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Ohwatch

Post   Posted: Jul 23, 2018 - 14:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Do you think it possible to have:

- jump up catch ??? when the player is the is not stand up
- move after blitz??? where the player can move after a blitz
awambawamb

Post   Posted: Jul 23, 2018 - 14:55 Reply with quote Back to top

1) no, because the player is on the ground eating daisies, hopefully not from the roots.
2) I assume you mean block - you already CAN move after a block. it's used by agility teams mostly, when they free a player with a block (during a blitz action) and then move that player to support another one.

delusional

Post   Posted: Jul 23, 2018 - 14:59 Reply with quote Back to top

I think we need "premium" skills. I.e. skills that are aimed around the 4th 5th and 6th skill level. Take a human catcher, catch + dodge then probably block, maybe diving catch and side step.... What else would you give him? Fend?
The skills become less valuable at the higher levels. The good skills, i.e. block and dodge get picked, while the not so good skills like grab and fend don't offer anywhere near the same value.

Something like jump up catch would be a great idea. Can activate jump up and catch the ball if on the ground.

I think stalker master would be a good skill as well. Gives owner +4 to shadowing.
asteflix

Post   Posted: Jul 23, 2018 - 16:33 Reply with quote Back to top

delusional wrote:
I think we need "premium" skills. I.e. skills that are aimed around the 4th 5th and 6th skill level. Take a human catcher, catch + dodge then probably block, maybe diving catch and side step.... What else would you give him? Fend?
The skills become less valuable at the higher levels. The good skills, i.e. block and dodge get picked, while the not so good skills like grab and fend don't offer anywhere near the same value.

Something like jump up catch would be a great idea. Can activate jump up and catch the ball if on the ground.

I think stalker master would be a good skill as well. Gives owner +4 to shadowing.

You really live up to your own name. Just pick shadowing at later skills !

Post   Posted: Jul 23, 2018 - 16:39 Reply with quote Back to top

skill paths... so block + juggernaut + mighty blow allows you to take 'shoulder charge' move 1 square into any of the adjacent squares to block (dodges apply as normal) should charge + pro makes you a master blitzer and that players gets a free blitz each turn and you can do other trees e.g. strong arm and dump-off let you take 'spin pass' allowing you to dump off to short pass range
Civ

Post   Posted: Jul 23, 2018 - 16:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Scary how many people want to change bb for the sake of change. Leave it alone!
/boo
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Jul 23, 2018 - 17:02 Reply with quote Back to top

delusional wrote:

Other valuable human catcher skills after block side step:

dauntless
shadowing
Jump Up
tackle
dirty player
sneaky git
sure hands
sure feet
pass block
diving tackle
fend

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2018 - 03:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Arktoris wrote:

pass block

..we agreed on not telling out our secrets, Arktoris

mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2018 - 13:15
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

ben_awesome wrote:
skill paths... so block + juggernaut + mighty blow allows you to take 'shoulder charge' move 1 square into any of the adjacent squares to block (dodges apply as normal) should charge + pro makes you a master blitzer and that players gets a free blitz each turn and you can do other trees e.g. strong arm and dump-off let you take 'spin pass' allowing you to dump off to short pass range

I like the idea of skill trees or skill groups. I did something similar in Grind which worked really well, though in that case I was trying to shoehorn it into the current skills rather than design it that way from the outset.

The idea being that some skills are obviously better than others, and having to work up to those skills results in both less of the 'autopick' skills being on the field, and less of them being loaded onto one player. Players have to pick similar themed skills, Eg. Stand Firm leads to Block and/or Guard, but Fend leads to Dodge so few players acquire both.

It worked really well, was great fun while it lasted Smile

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2018 - 20:46 Reply with quote Back to top

awambawamb wrote:
Arktoris wrote:

pass block

..we agreed on not telling out our secrets, Arktoris

interestingly, any time I give a catcher block, side step, passblock, shadowing...he dies a couple games later. but it's powerful on paper at least.

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2018 - 21:50 Reply with quote Back to top

mister__joshua wrote:
ben_awesome wrote:

I like the idea of skill trees or skill groups. I did something similar in Grind which worked really well, though in that case I was trying to shoehorn it into the current skills rather than design it that way from the outset.

The idea being that some skills are obviously better than others, and having to work up to those skills results in both less of the 'autopick' skills being on the field, and less of them being loaded onto one player. Players have to pick similar themed skills, Eg. Stand Firm leads to Block and/or Guard, but Fend leads to Dodge so few players acquire both.

It worked really well, was great fun while it lasted Smile

We have skill groups already?

Skill trees wouldn't solve anything really would it? Just because 80-90% of coaches are conventional as hell doesn't make it a good idea to straight jacket the bold 10-20% who aren't. Diversity of skill selections wouldn't increase necessarily with skill trees and in fact I think it would be even worse than the status quo.

It really doesn't matter what game it is but the tendency for players to seek out 100 equally viable ways to do something and pining for rule changes...while not even having a mastery of the game as is...

It's ridiculous.

Any system will have a limited set of variables to contend with and thus will have a limited set of best practices or optimal choices and as much as that rubs novelty seekers the wrong way, it's just absurd to think that there needs to be an adjustment to increase novelty for novelty's sake.

It's like the folks that created an advanced version of rock-paper-scissors with over a dozen hand gestures that trump other hand gestures, that nobody really plays because its inaccessible and doesn't really generate new and intriguing strategies.
Wuhan

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2018 - 23:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Dauntless on Human catcher. That's what any good Skaven coach would do.
Kondor

Post   Posted: Jul 26, 2018 - 04:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I would like a skill that allowed you to reroll doubles on a foul. (Either armor or injury roll.) In my opinion, that should be Sneaky Git.
fidius

Post   Posted: Jul 26, 2018 - 06:37 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:

Skill trees wouldn't solve anything really would it? Just because 80-90% of coaches are conventional as hell doesn't make it a good idea to straight jacket the bold 10-20% who aren't. Diversity of skill selections wouldn't increase necessarily with skill trees and in fact I think it would be even worse than the status quo.

Definitely agree.

mrt1212 wrote:

Any system will have a limited set of variables to contend with and thus will have a limited set of best practices or optimal choices and as much as that rubs novelty seekers the wrong way, it's just absurd to think that there needs to be an adjustment to increase novelty for novelty's sake.

As an avid rules-tweaker I object -- mischaracterization. True there will always be a limited set of best practices, but new rules could shrink the gap between optimal and sub-optimal. This would not be "for novelty's sake" but for interest's, for diversity's, for competitiveness'.

I could (and do) go on and on about what I see as the opportunities for improvement in this game, and I'm far from a master at it. But it couldn't be more obvious, could it?:
Mighty Blow vs AV7
Dodge on AG4+
Tackle on Stunty

I'd start there.

But ultimately we don't need another thread, do we.
 Jump to: