62 coaches online • Server time: 20:29
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Should I fire Lesui?
Yes
46%
 46%  [ 26 ]
No
53%
 53%  [ 30 ]
Total Votes : 56

MonkeyMan576

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2018 - 06:27 Reply with quote Back to top

http://www.fumbbl.com/p/player?player_id=11622555
My high elf Lesui just got his second -MA, making him MA 7. He's one of my favorite all time players, with +AG, Pass Block, Leap, 5 INT,and I had been hoping he could make a run at the 21 INT record. Now, 7 MA is pretty slow for an elf, but it's not SO slow that he can't do anything, especially when I have fast players on the team like a MA9 player. He hasn't had a 2 TD or 10SPP game in 4 months, maybe he isn't worth the TV?
Foad

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2018 - 06:58 Reply with quote Back to top

> He hasn't had a 2 TD or 10SPP game in 4 months

He's had 4 braces and a hat-trick - Remuda has 0 of both in 4 months, it's been 2.5 months for since Alaco earned his only brace, and Escosbar also only did it once as a rookie.

That's not the best metric to define success.

AG5 leap blodge as amazing, but less so in elf match ups without wrestle, strip ball, safe throw.

You seem to take a lot of DE WE Skaven match ups, which may mitigate some of his advantage as they pickup and catch on a 2+ as well. I assume there aren't as many HE games because of Safe Throw.

If you are happy to just take these games to get the record, then I'd keep him because he does what he does and MA 7 is fine.

Just be careful about going back to back (Dulles Drowboys, Black Witch), consecutive games against the same team in ranked isn't looked on that favourably.

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2018 - 07:08 Reply with quote Back to top

This is true, I play mostly ballers because I don't want to see my players destroyed for no reason.

I was a pretty bad player in my early days and I'm trying to make smart decisions and I don't want to lose games for no reason, and I think I've progressed to being at least a mediocre to decent player.

I think I'm leaning towards keeping Lesui at least another 5 to 10 games, but I'm interested in hearing what other people think too.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2018 - 13:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Fire him, he has -2MA and Pass Block.
Take Side Step on the next Catcher, not Pass Block.
delusional

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2018 - 14:11 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
Fire him, he has -2MA and Pass Block.
Take Side Step on the next Catcher, not Pass Block.

I hate reading what you have said. It's a programmatic skill selection. Block -> dodge -> guard, side step...

SO what if he has pass block instead of side step. If the catcher is always within 3 squares of the ball carrier then it's a good idea. If he is not, then it's not a good skill pick. Since catchers can often be out wide and he has -2ma, the passblock does not exactly fit him, but he is +ag so it may work. (i.e. if it is to be used at all. probably best on a lineman, people don't look at their skills as much and they are usually in the middle of the field.).

Not sure if I am ranting at your or Blood bowl. I wish they would bring back the old Foul Appearance and Stand firm. Make skills that have people thinking "should I pick block?".
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2018 - 14:26 Reply with quote Back to top

delusional wrote:

SO what if he has pass block instead of side step. If the catcher is always within 3 squares of the ball carrier then it's a good idea.

If you consider every possible scenario you can find useful any skill in Blood Bowl.
When you choose a skill you should consider how often you are going to use that skill and the synergic value of it, moreover you have 6 skill slots, but the first 3-4 are the most important ones and must be chosen carefully. With 10 skill slots maybe you might bother taking less optimal ones, but with 6 (assuming the player will survive until Legend) you have to pick the best ones (in case you roll one or more stat increases).
Some teams don't need to pass the ball, so if the opponent doesn't pass the ball then Pass Block is utterly useless.
On average Side Step will be used more often than Pass Block in a game: it reduces the blocks suffered, increases the chance of 1TTD, and prevents the Catcher from being surfed when next to the side lines.

delusional wrote:
If he is not, then it's not a good skill pick. Since catchers can often be out wide and he has -2ma.

-2ma for a Catcher = autofire, but Pass Block is a further good reason.

delusional wrote:
people don't look at their skills as much and they are usually in the middle of the field.).

Well, if your idea of opponent is a blind man I think we don't need to debate about the skill picks Very Happy .
By the way, the client allows to mark the skills on players, decent coaches use to do it.

delusional wrote:
Not sure if I am ranting at your or Blood bowl. I wish they would bring back the old Foul Appearance and Stand firm. Make skills that have people thinking "should I pick block?".

Old Stand Firm (the 3rd edition one) was nice for agile players, they could dodge without falling in case of failure. I used to pick it.
Garion

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2018 - 15:12 Reply with quote Back to top

@ delusional - You post here a lot but I just notice you don't play games ? not a criticism, just wondering why you haven't joined the fun.

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2018 - 15:32 Reply with quote Back to top

MA 7 is not terrible if he is still doing the job you built him for.

Yes a new Catcher might be 1 MA faster and less bloaty... but they wont be the Pass Blocking monster you have created nor will they be 5 INT towards that goal. Smile

As for joyless Block, Dodge, SS, etc builds. They do work and are more effective and efficient in terms of TV. But BB is a game. So if grinding out a higher win percentage is the goal then maybe cut him and don't take Pass Block on any catchers for a while. But if you find it fun, and that is your goal... then crack on.

FWIW i like Pass Block on 1-2 key players fro certain teams. They only need to work once a game to change the game Smile

TL:DR - is he still fun? Then keep him. You can afford a game or two to trial him and see with 212 already played yeah? Smile

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2018 - 18:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Horrible to keep. Basically you are paying 70k for the +Agility on a player who is already at -Ma, where Pass Block especially requires fast players.
MonkeyMan576

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2018 - 19:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I find a mix of skills more effective that always taking the same skills on every position. Pass Block helps on defence and side step helps on offense, even if pass block is not the most effctive skill, it still makes opponents think twice about passing or move around your player, so I find it a decent skill, especially on ag5/catch players.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2018 - 19:55 Reply with quote Back to top

For many coaches passing is not an option, unless they are forced to, and even if they are forced, they tend to avoid Pass Blockers or contain them (for example with Tentacles), you need more than 1 Pass Blocker to cover the field and having many Pass Blockers lowers the overall efficiency of the team.
Anyway, you are free to take sub-par skills, you clearly are not interested in efficiency.
As an aside, Side Step is good on defense too, because you can mark ball carriers or shut down better the side lines by placing side steppers on the wide zones. Side Step may make a coach refrain from blocking a Side Stepper with Blodge because he could move in a bad position for the blocking coach.
garyt1

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2018 - 20:11 Reply with quote Back to top

He is a fun player. I very occasionally keep injured old players but 2x -MA is too much to cope with. He has had a spell at legend but hasn't made a dent towards the interception record so I would let him go as he probably won't be making that record.

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2018 - 01:30 Reply with quote Back to top

If you love the player, keep them, regardless of the extra cost or diminished return on investment. Let them die on the pitch like a true legend. Or see if you can get another -MA, just for the laughs.

I've used Pass Block to win a match before; it's my favorite skill in the game. It's worth taking just to see the look on your opponent's face when you announce "I'm using Pass Block", as no one expects anyone to ever take it. If it results in an interception or a dropped pass/catch, even better.

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2018 - 02:41 Reply with quote Back to top

fire him! Because he is a bad player. He was somewhat cool, but he is bad now.
I personally like pass block, but in any circumstance other skills would be better, but then again unpredicatbility (in choosing skills) can sometimes win games, though I expect less than normal if you looked at it with statisical glasses.
You have to build a new one, it takes no time with catchers, so its not that a big loss.
Rbthma

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2018 - 04:07 Reply with quote Back to top

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCC_b5WHLX0
 Jump to: