44 coaches online • Server time: 18:30
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Should I fire Lesui?
Yes
46%
 46%  [ 26 ]
No
53%
 53%  [ 30 ]
Total Votes : 56

Balle2000

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2018 - 04:12 Reply with quote Back to top

keep
Silent_Hastati

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2018 - 05:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Legends only leave one way.

In a wooden box.

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2018 - 08:33
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

My goodness there is sometimes a lot of guff talked by men with low EI about the 'right' or statistically most effective choices other coaches should make.

Firstly they rarely point out that their advice is limited to statistical averages, and hence not specific. They do not know you, or your play style, nor do they often bother to view the team, let alone imagine how it will work on the field.

Secondly such coaches are often quite good, sometimes even very good, Blood Bowl coaches. But they are almost never the very top coaches, because numbers only get you so far. Beyond that feel and creativity rise to the fore.

I think it is clear, and universally accepted, that this player is not at peak TV efficiency, and that is a factor, but only one factor. What weight you give it is up to you. There are other factors you might want to consider, but they get a little nebulous....

The 'story' of your team: I don't mean fluff, i mean 'what does it do?', How does it get the ball? how does it protect it? The synergies of a skill stack can be statistically proved, but the synergies of a teams set of players and skill stacks is far harder to be certain of. Yet actual Blood Bowl is played by the team, not the individual players, so it is that synergy that is arguably more important to be considering.

Also I would bring in the huge human factors, and both sides are relevant here. Most obviously what does that player existing in your team do to the opponents thinking and planning? Will it change their onfield decisions? Will it attract Blitzes and numbers hence opening other areas and options to you? For a insight into this effect consider how the 2TV for a DP player (even on a team where such a skill isn't statistically merited) can change the entire mindset of an opponent.

The fluff 'story' can also be huge. What makes you pick up that team to play with and not others? We all have limited gaming time, and most of us are seeking 'fun', for some that fun is efficiency and the display of accounting skills, for some it's less about flat numbers and more about round experiences, and you know what? that's Ok.

And then there is your own mindset, and here seems the core of your current question: Do you have belief in the player? What does fielding them do to your morale? your approach? your planning? your belief in yourself and your team? Here also it is important to know yourself as a gamer and how much of a factor you are to your playing. Often the coaches more wedded to statistically pure builds will also try and remove this factor by 'emotionless playing', this is of course impossible, but even getting near to it has imposes its own limits, by trying to normalise a bell curve of response one also eliminates the possibility to be ahead of the average in this area.

So, should you keep the player? I probably would.

I would argue that asking at all means you are losing or have lost belief in them to aid you and that's maybe the biggest issue. And that the answer lies not in the player but on the team, what will it do better or worse without him? And 'be more TV efficient' is only a part of that answer.

As you state, the player has advantages to being around, but you don't feel they are delivering value onfield. then surely the real answer is use them better, not dump them.

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2018 - 13:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Excellent food for thought. The conclusion leaves a bit to be desired though (like most forum topics)...
...Those are not necessarily either/or questions. One usually strives for both
- better players thus better roster
- improved coaching

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2018 - 16:15 Reply with quote Back to top

PurpleChest wrote:
My goodness there is sometimes a lot of guff talked by men with low EI (Emotional Intelligence)...

Is that necessary?

While you are right that this player still easily can break the interception record, if that is his main goal, the player has no value in a team in an open environment (that is being outside of a tournament)
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2018 - 16:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Well I think you already knew the answer to the question "what's efficient", so I won't take your question as asking that, and will instead take it as asking: Would you keep a cool, dear and special Legend elf even though he has become very TV inefficient?

Retiring him with honours still seems okay, but you might also chase that Int record. I probably wouldn't apoth him any more.
Azure

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2018 - 20:15 Reply with quote Back to top

My advice:
If you enjoy playing with him - then keep him.
If you get frustrated that the team is losing too much and feel he is deadweight - then send him on his way.

Really, it is only a question you can answer. What is the most fun for you?
MonkeyMan576

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2018 - 19:47 Reply with quote Back to top

team update #1
won 2-1 against a skaven team against a superior cr superstar coach and opposing team was 80 higher in tv. however lesui did not play due to injury.
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2018 - 20:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Back in LRB4 Days I had an Elf Bowling Norse Team that always kept 2 players with Pass Block somewhere in the Backfield. Trying to split the field and cut off or limited the Passing Game a bit.

It was somewhat effective and seemed to help force the Elves to try to beat me on the Ground instead of through the Air. It seemed to help limit their options to give me a better shot at winning. And the Pass Block skill was KEY to more than a couple victories and salvaged a few Ties from the jaws of defeat.

But of course I don't know what was in my opponents mind. They may very well have been playing Elves with never passing as their goal. Who knows? But it was fun for a time.
MonkeyMan576

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2018 - 20:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Team update #2:

With Lesui in the game, lost 3-2 to a comparable CR high elf team and 2-1 against a superior CR skaven team. Lesui had a combined 1 SPP during both games. It's not looking good for him.

Also: Another pass block player got an int after only 26 games, maybe he can make a run at the record.
Applulz

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2018 - 06:35 Reply with quote Back to top

MonkeyMan576 wrote:
Team update #2:

With Lesui in the game, lost 3-2 to a comparable CR high elf team and 2-1 against a superior CR skaven team. Lesui had a combined 1 SPP during both games. It's not looking good for him.

Also: Another pass block player got an int after only 26 games, maybe he can make a run at the record.

Why do you measure the players success by the amount of SPP they generate? The game is way too random for that. And as elves you should generally be able to pick who you are scoring on unless times are desperate; so him not getting SPP is just you not choosing to score on him in my opinion (which is the correct call if he's a legend...)

I don't like firing injured up players unless it's really needed. If anything, I prefer keeping a couple busted up guys around; because then it's an easy decision who to feed into the meatgrinder!

If you are really trying to minmax and win every single game, cut him to save 30tv; maybe 50tv If you consider pass block bad (which it is not against ag teams). But at 2000 tv what is 30tv? A pretty marginal amount. And remember that nuffle doesn't give one F about your minmaxing team and will still bend you over proper when he feels like it.
delusional

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2018 - 12:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
@ delusional - You post here a lot but I just notice you don't play games ? not a criticism, just wondering why you haven't joined the fun.

It's a fair call.
Basically I can't play anymore because I can't pause a game. (I lost my old account username ages ago and have a family).

So all I can do is spectate and blog.
awambawamb

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2018 - 13:24 Reply with quote Back to top

that elf is like a star player - not exactly what you want, but useful.
he's going to be a block magnet, true, but this can be a tactic on it's own.

Arktoris

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2018 - 15:32 Reply with quote Back to top

pass-block, 5ag, catch, dodge is pretty powerful. Pretty much shuts down passing for the opponent.

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2018 - 23:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Lesui received a -av in his last game, and has thus been retired after an outstanding career. We thank him for his service.
 Jump to: