53 coaches online • Server time: 17:19
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Gary_Gygax

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2018 - 15:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I was wondering about good (or evil) rivalry on Fumbbl.
Are you aware about a well deployed rivalry between coaches and/or teams?
I'm pretty sure there are a few (or maybe a lot) and I'd like the community to share it, thanks!!!
morehouse

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2018 - 15:12 Reply with quote Back to top

My personal favorite one....

https://www.fumbbl.com/p/matches?c=Bazakastine&coach2=morehouse

30 games and counting including a major final with my good buddy Baza.
awambawamb

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2018 - 15:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Spiro vs RNG

Gary_Gygax

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2018 - 15:45 Reply with quote Back to top

morehouse wrote:
My personal favorite one....

https://www.fumbbl.com/p/matches?c=Bazakastine&coach2=morehouse

30 games and counting including a major final with my good buddy Baza.

Right, that's exactly a nice example of what I was looking for Smile
Gary_Gygax

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2018 - 15:59 Reply with quote Back to top

awambawamb wrote:
Spiro vs RNG

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2018 - 16:00 Reply with quote Back to top

The established leagues are chock-full of these. They change in character and nature over the years, both as the coaches develop separately and then get more games against each other, and as the composition of the leagues changes as coaches come and go. But over any span of a few seasons in most of the larger or better-known leagues, you see these things develop, generally either as a result of championship/playoff drama, or as a result of two coaches in the same small pool at similar skill levels competing for the prize season-after-season. The more stable the league, the more intense the rivalries get.

In the NBFL, we've had lots of really great rivalries over the seasons. Like, way too many to count. I've been part of some really good ones, myself, but there have been several across the divisions over the years. Most of the best ones are divisional or conference dominance battles, but not always. Like, the San Foulcisco '49ers and the Seattle Werehawks had a long-running rivalry as two Necromantic teams that played mirror-matches against each other regularly. It didn't hurt that both teams were headlined by bizarre freak players, either. Sadly, that rivalry got busted up this season when the Werehawks' coach had to take a break. But there will be new ones springing up in that one's place, you know?

Major rivalries I've been part of in leagues:
Slam Diego State Smacktecs vs Fresno Red-Wave: conference rivalry, lasted 3 seasons.
Slam Diego State Smacktecs vs TCU Horned Rats: conference rivalry, lasted several seasons (not sure how many).
Slam Diego State Smacktecs vs BYU Boys: two similar teams who met in a few big games.
Slam Diego State Smacktecs vs Wisconsin Honeygrues: championship rivalry between two top teams.
Flashington Redheads vs anything by BillBrasky: he killed my captain and KO'ed me from the playoffs in season 10, so I killed 3 of his 4 draft picks on a brand new team and made him concede in season 13.
Flashington Redheads vs Philhala Arni: we traded debacles and division titles for a little while.
Flashington Redheads vs New York Giant Leeches: we beat them in the playoffs in season 12, so they KO'ed us in season 13.
Denvork Bronkorks vs San Dogo Chompers: 12 games and counting, including some big ones (once in the playoffs, during our season 18 championship run). We've both killed or retired each other's draft picks and stuff (we've killed a couple of their legends, even) and beaten each other in prime time games.
Denvork Bronkorks vs Oakland Elf Raiders: more divisional challenges; they embarrassed us a few times in our early going, but lately the shoe has mostly been on the other foot.
Denvork Bronkorks vs Tennesse Titanz: two storied Orc teams in the same conference. The Titanz held off retirement for a season just to play us, in what would be their final match. We only played twice, but both games were intense and highly-anticipated by the league writ large. We still carry the scars from the first match (a niggle on a good BOB), the only injury we've ever carried.
Coach JackassRampant vs the Green Ball Attackers: another "rivalry" that hasn't seen a lot of direct action, but has had consequences. In Season 11, Green Ball narrowly pulled out a win against Flashington, in an awesome match ultimately decided by two mistakes that are hard-to-spot even if you know what you're looking for. Flashington narrowly lost the division to Philhala that season, and Philhala won the championship. In Season 18, Denvork train-wrecked Green Ball early, precipitating GB's worst season (and only non-playoff season) to date. The next game could be the tiebreaker.

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2018 - 16:47 Reply with quote Back to top

The Fling grudges: Zed vs. Kam (currently absent), Zed vs. Khor-Varik...^^

I have a nemesis, doclystria, who dealt me two painful defeats in the Majors, but that's too one way to count as a rivalry. Wink

Oh, what about Blood Sea Buccaneers (PainState) vs. Hellbound Charioteers (Arktoris)?
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2018 - 17:02
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

My personal fave is WMDs vs Chet's WMD Hunters Razz

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2018 - 17:15 Reply with quote Back to top

sadly all my arch nemeses over the years are gone.

I'm a Doofenshmirtz without a platypus Sad

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2018 - 17:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Gary_Gygax wrote:
I was wondering about good (or evil) rivalry on Fumbbl.
Are you aware about a well deployed rivalry between coaches and/or teams?
I'm pretty sure there are a few (or maybe a lot) and I'd like the community to share it, thanks!!!

https://fumbbl.com/p/matches?c=MrNomad&coach2=mrt1212

We're pretty equal in terms of coaching but approach the game differently with high elves being my OTP and undead being his. Lots of matches, lots of history. We even formalized the rivalry in the NCBB league!

Always a great time when it's me vs. MrNomad.
Cavetroll

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2018 - 19:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Arktoris wrote:

I'm a Doofenshmirtz without a platypus Sad

That would imply that you won Wink

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2018 - 20:06 Reply with quote Back to top

https://fumbbl.com/p/matches?c=Rijssiej&coach2=Cloggy&start=2

We still hold the highest combined TD in a match.
Rijssiej Niggled Meuh on a -2D crowdsurf

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2018 - 22:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Angry Newscasters vs Angry Newscasters Taunters?

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2018 - 22:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Arktoris wrote:

Sad

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2018 - 22:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Cloggy wrote:
https://fumbbl.com/p/matches?c=Rijssiej&coach2=Cloggy&start=2

We still hold the highest combined TD in a match.
Rijssiej Niggled Meuh on a -2D crowdsurf

Ahhh, the good old Fumbbl times!!! Love it Razz
 Jump to: