40 coaches online • Server time: 11:31
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2018 - 14:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Some time ago I wrote this PM to Garion, who ignored it, this seems a good occasion to resurrect it:

"Hi, I've read the Gnome roster page several times and played vs them as well.
The roster's portrait of Gnome seems a bit off in my opinion.

The Gnomes are tougher than average Stunty player and more skilled too, yet not as strong as Dwarfs, but faster.

- AV 8 = tougher than average Stunty's AV 7, and AV 8 gives protection since they lack Dodge, yet it's lower than Dwarf armour;
- more skilled = G access (the roster is spot on here);
- not as strong as Dwarfs = ST 2, Dauntless; ST 3 is too high for Gnomes, while ST 2 + Dauntless is a sort of in-between;
- faster than Dwarfs = Lino with MA 5, Blitzers MA 6, Runners MA 7, basically +MA compared to the Dwarf counterpart.

Given that, what do you think of:

Linemen MA 5 ST 2 AG 3 AV 8 Dauntless, Stunty
Runners MA 7 ST 2 AG 3 AV 7 Dauntless, Sure Hands, Dodge, Stunty
Blitzers MA 6 ST 2 AG 2 AV 8 Block, Dauntless, Stunty
Bombardier MA 5 ST 2 AG 3 AV 8 Dauntless, Stunty, Secret Weapon

Contraptions unchanged, all players' skill access unchanged.

If the roster performed too badly with the changes then TTM could be added to the Contraptions and Right Stuff to the Gnomes.

I'm not sure about Dauntless, but for sure Gnomes should have ST 2, a Gnome as strong as a Dwarf or Human doesn't make sense."
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2018 - 16:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I cannot remember how much I did this roster with Garion. It's certainly fairly different from what I came up with.

However one thing is for sure are the stats. We were in agreement that the stats should be the GW portrayal going back 30 years ago.

Gnomes were as strong as dwarfs; just not so tough. In fact as I mentioned they were fairly identical to human stats. So that's what you've got. Low armour human stats.

Theme is a bit tricky. Archetypal Gnomes are technology and machinery based. However the GW ones were illusionists. Who lived in the hills or low mountains hiding there where abouts with illusions.

They were heavily allied to dwarfs and indeed related. similar height to a small dwarf but not so thick set.

In the dwarf army they had no elites (positionals).

I like the dwarf style positional tie in but didn't go that route myself.

I went
0-16 gnomes with TS right stuff
0-4 Dwarf blockers
0-4 Bombardier
0-1 Gnome contraption
0-1 TTM cannon

And special rules to deal with the illusion side, which actually are annoying rather than comical.
Hovring

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2020 - 09:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I would add an illusionists:

0-1 Illusionist 50,000 6 2 3 6 Stunty, Hypnotic Gaze, Disturbing Presence, Foul Appearance G AP

Their special skills should be seen as illusions.

----------------

Cheaper wizards and magic cards would be a nice addition as well (as suggested above).
 Jump to: