33 coaches online • Server time: 08:50
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...goto Post Juggernaut as counte...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ramchop

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2018 - 00:14
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

As much as I'd like to see a squad option (multiple coaches) implemented, I think it's too open to abuse. Matches can be semi-arranged in Box (e.g. my Box Bottom Feeders "helping" broken teams). While I'd like to think that squads wouldn't game the system, it may be too tempting for some.
Cyrus-Havoc

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2018 - 16:13 Reply with quote Back to top

The new season needs to continue the original goal of encouraging diversity of races.
This I think is the most difficult thing to achieve.

How we select those teams is the key issue. A points system such as we used this season worked to an extent but I suspect many of the weaker teams either did not play or played few games. We don't want to allow any system which allows 3 or 4 tier 1 teams with a single tier 3.

Would it not be possible to arrange teams in groups & allow a maximum of 1 team from each group? Teams could be arranged in 4 5 or 6 groups by value or style.

Inevitably what ever system is used some races will be popular & others shunned.

I like the idea of points for completing each 10 games at least for the lower rated races.

Playing less games either 4 x 40 or 5 x 30 seems fair but I would be happy with 4 x 30 as well.

Continuing with last seasons teams is fine too so long as it fits with selection rules. Teams do not have to play against other Trophy teams so I don't see they are gaining any unfair advantage.

Badges, prizes, race leaders are all fine & will encourage the majority of us who are not going to be challenging for the big prize.

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2018 - 11:59 Reply with quote Back to top

One more thing that came to my mind. I would suggest putting the Blackbox Trophy prominently on the tournaments page, it's kind of hidden right now. And of course, past seasons will still be viewable, just like with tourneys, right?

By the way, only 10 days left, so do we have a verdict? (Not like I'd already prepared the teams and was only waiting to submit them. Ahem, really.) Smile
smallman

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2018 - 02:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Be good to finalise this, so we can decide if joining and consider rosters
Strider84

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2018 - 07:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I would start it 1st of january. This way there is a bit room to agree on the Format and announce it properly so anyone interested can join from the start. Also might make a nice finish run as people might have a couple days off over christmas to get the last games in.
happygrue

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2018 - 18:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Strider84 wrote:
I would start it 1st of january. This way there is a bit room to agree on the Format and announce it properly so anyone interested can join from the start. Also might make a nice finish run as people might have a couple days off over christmas to get the last games in.

+1

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2018 - 20:25 Reply with quote Back to top

While I like some of the ideas on points values for teams, I'd prefer the Oct. start myself if nothing definitive can be decided (based on most forum posts this seems likely). Seems to be a real busy time for FUMBBL which is good, and also been looking forward to it personally. I just think the best thing is to deal with it as it's going as there will always be coaches for who the format(points/whatever) don't work for them and so won't participate.
koadah

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2018 - 21:37 Reply with quote Back to top

October is probably better. With 1st Jan many people will not be around to play at the end of the season.

Sept/Oct sees people returning from holidays and getting back into action.

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2018 - 22:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Strider84 wrote:

Whaaat? I'm itching to get going! Twisted Evil

Well I can understand that the coaches who are currently still fighting for points in season 1 would like to have at least a bit of a break. Wink But don't start it in Jan, it'll mean the goalline finish would have to happen over the holidays. If you want to have a break start it 1 Nov or 1 Dec.
Prez

Post   Posted: Sep 26, 2018 - 00:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Verminardo wrote:
If you want to have a break start it 1 Nov or 1 Dec.

+1

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2018 - 01:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry, I'm a bit late to this thread, but thought I'd chuck in my 2c ..

I didn't play in the first season of this and I haven't played in Box much at all since the start of the year. However, I could be tempted back to the Box, if the number of games requirement for this is reduced.

koadah wrote:
So far only around 20 coaches have managed even the 120 games.

I think this is a really important observation. It seems that very few coaches have managed to get anywhere near the target of 200 games. Something else that should be considered is the relative difficulty of getting a Box game outside of the European timezone (which I know has already been mentioned). For example, I'm in the US and it's not uncommon here to simply not be able to get a Box game in a given evening. I think it would be good if this event was aiming to not just increase diversity in the Box, but also to encourage people to play Box more in other timezones.

Personally, 100-120 games over the course of a year would be much more do-able for me (and possibly other NA coaches?) than 150. So, I would give +1 to the suggestion of 4 teams, 30 games each.

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
happygrue

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2018 - 02:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Season 2 is now live!

https://fumbbl.com/p/boxtrophy

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2018 - 11:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Group page will need updating to the new rules.

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2018 - 11:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I have a squad ready, but when I press "Select Squad" nothing happens any idea of why could that happen? (I have my 5 teams selected, which amount to a 9 total point cost)
smallman

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2018 - 11:26 Reply with quote Back to top

same here
 Jump to: