39 coaches online • Server time: 14:56
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What is your preferred Operating System?
Windows (any version)
67%
 67%  [ 29 ]
Linux (any distribution)
13%
 13%  [ 6 ]
Macintosh / OS X (any version)
9%
 9%  [ 4 ]
Other (tell us more)
9%
 9%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 43

Colin

Post 5 Posted: Aug 13, 2003 - 02:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Re: More news on RPC security hole
by Chickenbrain on Aug 12, 2003 - 08:38

Hehe, if you got hit take the chance to format your harddisk and install Linux. No better way to stop those attacks.... Wink

Indeed...I did have a Linux setup a few years back, and loved it for handling e-mail and newsgroups, not to mention the small, free applications and even it's ability to run VistaPro 4 twice as fast as it's native Windows could.....but the 90 degree learning curve always did inhibit me really getting into it. Dual-boot setups were never a satisfactory solution for me.

Since then I've lost track of Linux, and it's improvement as a desktop OS. I've also largely missed the (re-)rise of Macintosh.

So what I would like to know is, how are the current main operating systems these days, if you were to compare them to each other? I know about the cost, speed, security and reliability issues; I'm talking about ease of use for the non-expert and software and file availabilty and compatibilty?
The only reason I still use XP is for games (plus it's not my PC atm), and those are fast losing their appeal (apart from Championship Manager, which I'm too scared to play lest I lose what remains of my life).

JBB of course is an exception to this...

So, what do you think? And please avoid Gates-bashing, let's keep this to the POV of the average desktop user...
psikobunny

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2003 - 02:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I've never stopped using Macs, and though that usually leaves me far from the cutting edge games-wise, I don't regret it when it comes to JBB. The standard releases work (with a few glitches that make it uncomfortable but not technically unusable). The Mac builds released by BadMrMojo work perfectly with Mac OSX. The only time it's a problem is when BMM has a lag between Ski's release.

I will admit I have been contemplating getting a PC, but the only reason is as a game machine, so I can play Star Wars Galaxies with my friends. This is entirely a social reason, not based on any technological advantage.
Candlejack

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2003 - 03:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Well... i was used to use windows a long time ago, then i switched to linux several years ago, and i liked it pretty much. What to say about the macs..?? Never really got to like them, only one mouse button *eg* and the opertaing systems never worked as i supposed they should, even Darwin couldn't convince me (if a gcc makes porblems when u try to compile it with itself, then the system must be screwed Wink). But I plan to switch away from linux, as soon as FreeBSD is supporting my network-card (Tulip-Cardbus chipsets don't seem to be their prior task *g*), because there a too many "wanna be cracks" around the linuxworld meanwhile, screweing up the package-management, kernel-patching, etc... That's why i voted for "other" in the poll above..

Cheers, Candlejack

P.S: And yes, I really like copmuter stuff Very Happy

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2003 - 14:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I always used windows, and I think in it's current version (XP) it's a very good operating system. I can't compare it to other systems because I never tried other systems, as I am a windows software developer, but I never had any problems with windows XP and JavaBB.

I voted Windows, but i have a reservation about the any version. I would reccomend Win2K or WinXP, possibly Win98SE, but anything but WinME (that one is just terrible)
Korhil

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2003 - 15:11 Reply with quote Back to top

WinXP is fine.
There was a patch to avoid the lastest exploit before it went global.
If you have problems with WinXP... its the users fault. Its very stable and secure.

I dont like Linux as much for a Desktop PC.

---Korhil
Chickenbrain

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2003 - 15:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually it depends. One of the most important things for me is codefree and free in prize. I do not like to use software for what i have to pay a sh**load of money. Especially if i get the same features with less money...

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2003 - 15:19
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Personally, I'm running XP at the moment and I find it to be the first decent OS from Microsoft...

However, I have been considering going back to Linux again when I reinstall next time as the two games I play (Neverwinter Nights and Diablo 2 LoD) are reported to work under Linux these days.

As for Mac... I never was a big fan of them until OSX got released. Now I wouldn't mind having one. Particularly the new Imac's which look absolutely great Smile

Oh, and as for the one-mouse button thing.. The MS intellimouse (And I suppose anything that runs with the intellipoint software) has Mac drivers. I wouldn't hesitate a minute to change.
Vesto

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2003 - 16:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I have been running Debian GNU/Linux on my Desktop and server/router for two years. No need to change OS. It's hobby, studies and work for me.
Revener

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2003 - 17:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Since you asked wich OS I prefer I have to answer Amiga OS Smile (waiting on OS4.0 and PPC board)
My PEECEE runs WinXP though.
tgrozow

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2003 - 17:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:
Personally, I'm running XP at the moment and I find it to be the first decent OS from Microsoft...

However, I have been considering going back to Linux again when I reinstall next time as the two games I play (Neverwinter Nights and Diablo 2 LoD) are reported to work under Linux these days.

That's funny, those are the only two games that bring me to play on the computer (apart from BB of course), since I got my XBOX.
Colin

Post   Posted: Aug 14, 2003 - 02:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Revener, I too was an avid Amigan in bygone days, and waited in vain for it's rebirth...how on earth did Commodore take a product that sold itself, had a thriving user community and great ease-of-use, and f*** it up so spectacularly? The world could be a very different place if they had not...