42 coaches online • Server time: 15:32
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2019 - 20:32 Reply with quote Back to top

This is the thread for discussing the FUMBBL League Community of the Americas, and topics of specific relevance to the Americas-time (GMT-2 to GMT-11) FUMBBL community, especially the League community.

Our aim is to improve the overall quality and strength of the Americas-time FUMBBL community, with a particular focus on the League division. To join, you must be interested in Americas-time FUMBBL leagues, be a FUMBBL coach with an account in good standing (no minimum number of games), and meet one of the following conditions:
1) Be a resident of the Americas or East Pacific (3-12 hours behind server time, from Greenland west to the International Dateline);
2) Be a resident of a dependent or territory of an American country;
3) Be an expatriate national of an American country;
4) Be a member in good standing of a recognized Americas-time FUMBBL league.

If you are an American coach by any above definition, please make a new League team (any ol' team; don't waste a good team name, please) or pick a free team that you know you'll never enter into any other group, and apply it to this group, then join us on Discord. We don't actually schedule or play games in this group, it's just a way of tracking the Americas-time community.

If you are the commissioner of an Americas-time league, please comment on this blog post if you want your league to be seen as a member of this meta-community. We will work hard to ensure that all North American leagues survive and thrive. If you have a small amount of time to donate occasionally, and would like to join my rolodex of "usual suspects" for when I need a volunteer, post there or hit me up privately.

This forum thread is for discussing topics of interest to American FUMBBL coaches, such as recruitment drives, league-oriented announcements, discussions of community health and development, etc. We do focus on leagues, but there's no reason we can't discuss Americas-time competitive division issues like Smacks and Blackbox viability.

Have at it!

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2019 - 22:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Arcayn will be helping me moderate the league, in case I crash out (sadly, my days of being certainly reliable for stuff like this are in the past). In like 60 seconds of brainstorming, Arcayn and I came up with the following active Americas-oriented FUMBBL leagues:
NBFL, 32-team NFL spoof played at high to very high TV. Invitational.
NCBB, NCAA spoof league where players retire after 4 seasons, to be drafted into the NBFL. Open to newcomers.
DLA, 16-team transatlantic draft league with all-Human rosters. Invitational.
SLA, Secret League action for American-time coaches. Open to newcomers.
BSL, allows no player retirements. Open to newcomers.
CBFL, 10-team Secret League themed on Canadian Football. Invitational.

Are we missing anyone?

Also, is there any chance that something happens to resurrect the NWFL or another currently-defunct league? Is anyone starting something new focused on our continents? Here's the place to talk about it!

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2019 - 23:32 Reply with quote Back to top

CBFL is currently looking for coaches to kick off a minor/college feeder league so we can actually run a draft in future seasons similar to the NBFL

Coaches in the feeder league will be able to have teams promoted to the CBFL is there is an opening, which can preserve their rostered players from graduation into the draft.

See link in post above for league rules, and contact myself or MenonaLoco for more details
League is currently limited to one roster per race, and includes all CRP, Secret League, Stuntee Leeg, and Unofficial league rosters.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2019 - 18:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks to Klazam for cobbling together a neat logo!

Now, we need a banner: I believe suggested banner dimensions are 109h x 960w. Anybody wanna give it a crack?

We're picking up steam, but really all Americas-time coaches, and all coaches who play in leagues that cater explicitly to Americas-time coaches, should come check us out!

Also, a reminder to join us on Discord!

Last edited by JackassRampant on Jan 10, 2019 - 18:48; edited 1 time in total
bghandras

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2019 - 18:47 Reply with quote Back to top

DLA is currently at 22 teams, and looking to expand to 32 in the future.

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2019 - 14:28 Reply with quote Back to top

K, when I woke up this morning, I approved coach #26. That's a nice start, but this thing really thrives on participation. Since there's no actual commitment (no games to play or anything), there's no reason not to stand up and be counted if you meet any of the criteria outlined above.

When I came up with this idea, my objectives included, but were not limited to:

1) Directory by nation, time zone, and possibly state/province for the larger countries (esp in NA, where most of us live). This will help FUMBBL coaches coordinate RL leagues and tournaments, regional FUMBBL leagues, and divisional structure in larger FLCA leagues.

2) Large coaching pool that matches coaches' individual needs and wants with openings in existing leagues, and provides a good jumping off point for the development or expansion of new or recovered leagues. (Full disclosure: I have a vision of American League FUMBBL built around a massive NCBB that caters to all manner of coaches and feeds not only the NBFL, but also a resurrected, functional NWFL and other leagues, with a steady stream of vetted coaches.

3) American-focused sewing circle. I mean, honestly, the USA and Canada are slowly starting to ditch our backwater reputation in this hobby, but even so, the Euro coaches still have this high horse that we can and should knock them off of. The simple truth is that some of the very best coaches on Earth are Americans, and iron sharpens iron.

4) Fluff and fandom community. We all know that there's a ton of fascinating action out there that we all think is great but don't care about enough to actually follow on the ground. Wouldn't it be awesome if all the American coaches had easy resources to pick up highlights and big-picture stories about all the other American leagues? Like, I'd love to follow the DLA if I could do it casually, but there's no real framework for DLA coaches to talk DLA turkey for non-DLA coaches unless it's significant enough to merit a blog post. This would magnify the potential for fluff material, and would help sell the NA community to new coaches.

Last edited by JackassRampant on Jan 11, 2019 - 15:18; edited 1 time in total
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2019 - 14:55 Reply with quote Back to top

thanks to this initiative, I've joined the BSL