39 coaches online • Server time: 14:54
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Throweck

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2019 - 17:13 Reply with quote Back to top

JellyBelly wrote:
Throweck wrote:
I agree!

The problem is not box activation mechanics. The problem is not that people won't acivate. The problem is not that people won't activate because smallman is around. These are just symptoms.

The problem is the lack of players around at that time. To solve this, you need more coaches. (See quote above).

People are trying to address the symptoms, not the problem.

I don't agree. The player base on the site has been shrinking for years and low player numbers in the off-peak timezones is simply a fact of life.

I know that, if the scheduler worked as I described, I would get more games and spend fewer frustrating evenings trying to get one in vain. I know that, because I know how many evenings I sit there activating and end up with zip, having wasted up to an hour of my time. That, in turn, would make off-peak Box a more pleasant/viable environment in the off-peak, and it would start to encourage more coaches to come back.

Sorry Throweck, but you seem to be another coach who has the luxury of playing in the peak timezone, trying to tell us poor off-peak coaches to just suck it up. Easy to say, when you're not affected by the problem.

Please tell me where I suggest people to 'suck it up'. You have me very wrong, there is nothing I would love more to have 'off-peak' not 'off-peak' anymore. It seems that you are making this an us and them situation, not I.

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2019 - 19:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Mattius wrote:
Let's deal with the cause, not the symptom.

We need more players. Can you guys in Asia respond to my post about growing fumbbl?

If we have some of the online areas where BB people get together, then you guys can start promoting fumbbl and getting new people over.

Take responsibility!

https://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=30569

Hate to quote myself, but help me out guys Smile
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2019 - 20:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Throweck wrote:
I suggest people to 'suck it up'.

I dunno. Call me crazy but is this the best advice? Shocked

Seriously though, I think it is in all of your interests to stay positive and not fight. Maybe 'adding' rather than changing may bring the players back?
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2019 - 23:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Throweck wrote:
JellyBelly wrote:
Sorry Throweck, but you seem to be another coach who has the luxury of playing in the peak timezone, trying to tell us poor off-peak coaches what the problems are in an environment you are not playing in. Easy to say, when you're not affected by the problem.

Please tell me where I suggest people to 'suck it up'. You have me very wrong, there is nothing I would love more to have 'off-peak' not 'off-peak' anymore. It seems that you are making this an us and them situation, not I.

Ok, fair enough. 'Suck it up' was a poor choice of words and I've re-phrased it in the quote above to what I probably should have said.

About 'us and them': no, it's not me that is creating that situation. It exists, whether we like it or not. There are two distinct groups of players on the site: those that are fortunate enough to be in the peak timezone and have a wild party in Blood Bowl Vegas every night, with loads of different players to play against, and those who are less fortunate, whose timezone more resembles a half-forgotten frontier town in the Wild West, where on those evenings where you are fortunate enough to even get a game, chances are it's against the same ten or so people that are always on at that time.

The FUMBBL experience is vastly different for those two groups and I think your perspective might be a little different, if you were the one banging your head on the laptop screen every other night, because you can't get a game.

I agree with what Koadah said about it being a 'chicken and egg' problem. Yes, the small player base is part of the problem, but it's a vicious cycle. Most people that have been around for a while in my timezone would probably agree that unscrupulous monoactivators have driven a lot of people away from the American Box over the past several years. As the Box player pool reduced, it fell below the 'critical mass' required to sustain it in a healthy way. Even if we can attract some new players, how many times do you think they are going to sit activating for an hour and not get a game, before they get fed up and decide is isn't worth the bother?

Unfortunately, the site simply isn't as appealing to new joiners in the off-peak timezones to start with, partly because one of the main divisions is dysfunctional. I've seen it before with new people to the site in my timezone: "wtf is everybody?". Then, add to that the fact that it is inherently more difficult to recruit new players and build a player base in a region that is geographically spread across many more timezones than the 'peak' zone ... the solution isn't as simple as you are making out.

If the Box scheduler worked in a slightly different way, we would get more games in the off-peak time zones, and it would help to remove some of the layers of frustration that are currently putting people off playing off-peak Box. The scheduler could be designed to better accommodate regions with low player numbers. Therefore, I think it is part of the problem and it could be part of a solution.

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2019 - 00:26 Reply with quote Back to top

JellyBelly, would we get more off-peak games with a scheduler change though?

The dynamic theorized to gin up more games is that coaches would reliably have a set time to activate, at the top of the hour, and thus naturally congregate in greater measure than now to try and get a game.

Do I have that right?

How does that dynamic play out when two active coaches, who want to play Box, have stated that the prospect of playing one coach/team combo over and over again would preclude their participation in any format. In practice it might actually reduce their participation in Box in aggregate as the window to activate is now 3 discrete opportunities over 3 hours - basically only 3 opportunities per potential gaming session to AVOID smallman.

or lo! a neophyte, straight jacketed into several matches with smallman finds no alternative to play but Ranked and League. Is having a once hour activation with a known unavoidable predator in their midst likely to engender more activations for 3 hours?

I ask because there seems to be a resolute belief THIS will work. I have many doubts that changing activation intervals would have any material impact on the behaviors of activating, especially with such a barren landscape for coaches already.

I especially have my doubts because a predator is telling us how to design the hen house and a few fellow chickens are nodding their head in agreement with those plans.
smallman

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2019 - 02:07 Reply with quote Back to top

lol predator. I don't get why anyone would fear any of my teams now that PO is gone. The 4 teams I activate don't even have DP except ogres, and he stays off unless I lose an ogre.

I am pretty sure the majority of the offpeak players are glad that I am around to help games happen. I would start a poll on it, but I know the pixel hugging haters from peak time would just mess it up. I don't work, so I can get in on some peak time box, but I feel sorry for those that cant.

I have recommended fumbbl to people in the past, but with off-peak box so dead, of course they didn't stay.

My Pact have always tried to be max max, but my legends are always heavily targetted, and I refuse to buy overpriced 70k rerolls. I fire big guys if no double by 2nd skill, as this is wise team building, especially on my quest for 6st tentacles.

If you are a not an off-peak player, your opinion is almost entirely irrelevant to this thread.
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2019 - 02:25 Reply with quote Back to top

@mrt: that was smallman's suggestion. I made an alternative suggestion on page 1.

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
garyt1

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2019 - 03:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Small man,
Whatcha want, watcha want
Whatcha gonna do
When sheriff Christer come for you
Tell me
Whatcha wanna do, whatcha gonna dooo
Yeaheah
Smallman, Smallman
Whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do
When they come for you
Smallman, Smallman
When they come for you
When you were eight
And you had bad traits
You go to school
And learn the golden rule
So why are you
Acting like a bloody fool
If you get hot
You must get cool
Smallman Smallman
When they come for you
You chuck one team on that one
You chuck one team on this one..

Good points from others above about bringing people in. Should always be encouraged. Especially if you know tt players who use Cyanide but not FUMBBL.

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2019 - 06:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Again players from cyainde will not play here they don’t like the 8 bit graphics

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2019 - 09:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Dan-Da-Man wrote:
Again players from cyainde will not play here they don’t like the 8 bit graphics

I'd target more TT players. Outside of this, there will be bb2 players who will be tiring of playing with clmbpo and having little hope of any updates and changes.
Eczemabeard

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2019 - 10:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Mattius wrote:
Let's deal with the cause, not the symptom.

We need more players. Can you guys in Asia respond to my post about growing fumbbl?

https://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=30569

Have joined only recently and since then brought in three new TT players. As I know only two more active TT coaches in my scene (everyone's dead after 25 years), that's about all I can do.

HOWEVER! On reddit /bloodbowl there is an increasing amount of posts lamenting the coming demise of BB2 support. That'd open up a nice reserve of potential new players.

Go and recruit there! (I can't as I recently picked up some guy named something like YummyFatassStick's gauntlet and am now being disliked for being rude and stupid). I saw Christer only pop in there once, so maybe if you lot up the pressure there quite a bit?
koadah

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2019 - 12:48 Reply with quote Back to top

It might be easier to get new coaches if they could play on mobile, did not have to install java and didn't have to struggle with a fixed screen size.

I guess folk need to brush up their javascript Wink

Post   Posted: Mar 20, 2019 - 04:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Mattius wrote:
Dan-Da-Man wrote:

I'd target more TT players. Outside of this, there will be bb2 players who will be tiring of playing with clmbpo and having little hope of any updates and changes.

But they are not tired with clmbpo they like it and hate the new PO rule so you have no chance cyanide players coming over, so best bet is the TT players

Post   Posted: Mar 20, 2019 - 06:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Dan-Da-Man wrote:
16 bit graphic - at least - to be fair
Rbthma

Post   Posted: Mar 20, 2019 - 19:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Dan-Da-Man wrote:
Mattius wrote:
Dan-Da-Man wrote:

But they are not tired with clmbpo they like it and hate the new PO rule so you have no chance cyanide players coming over, so best bet is the TT players

Sorry man, running the 145 league I see several coaches who play (or played) on Cyanide each tournament - they do come here.
 Jump to: