39 coaches online • Server time: 12:32
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post BB2020 - Kick team m...goto Post What happened?goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2019 - 14:44 Reply with quote Back to top

I am in the same boat... I am an Aussie in Dubai and hence my timezone is a little off for others. Add in the fact that the Islamic working week means my weekend is Friday and Saturday and hence league play, when people do tend to gravitate to the weekend to schedule games is a bit more difficult for me due to this.

However, I do play in the SWL (Aust/NZ timezone league) after a long hiatus and whilst it is difficult, I have managed to play all my games in the past 2 seasons there.

In between, I play ranked... am really frustrated by the BBox activation issues out of peak times (there is a massive thread on that elsewhere) but I do try and get a Box game if possible.

Otherwise I have ALOT of ranked teams, including alot of 3rd tier races, and hence I get a ranked pickup game. I give my teams flavours or themes and try to be unconventional there. Other teams I try and play them to learn (I can't play Dark Elves for some reason) and whilst I tire of some races (elf ball isn't doing it for me at the moment for example), I generally play ranked to achieve some personal goal or for some personal gimmick (eg I have an AG4 Ogre on my Ogre team and its the reason why I play them).

But for the 1-2 game a week style, it works for me.

Good luck!
gamelsetlmatch

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2019 - 15:28 Reply with quote Back to top

BRUTAL TRUTH Check for everyone is pixelhugging..

I reached out to Pizzamogul to try to put together a Meta League and said the following, which is somewhat relevant to this thread:

"I have always loved this league and what it brings to the ranked gamefinder system. I think we might only have Blackbox if it wasn't for the E.L.F. meta League, so THANKS!!!

Since you take the time to do what you do and have things set up the way you do, I was wondering if you might be able to give me your thoughts about a meta group I think could further help Ranked* and also make the E.L.F League a bit more 'user friendly'
Imagine this:
Light em up league (rough idea for name)
whatever teams you have in ranked, you add to gamefinder
you accept the first game offer
Period
If it had scoring like how the E.L.F. league does, it would add a little incentive, I think

Thoughts?"

*he responded but ill keep his comments 'private' and you can just insert your own thoughts here*

"I think the way you grouped races, is accurate to how bashy teams are..
I like the layout of the Blackbox Trophy is, where you pick a number of teams from each category..
I like how you give people daily stats to browse over..
I like the random factor of Blackbox but think its to heavy on the brute thug side of Bloodbowl..

I know there would be a bunch of work to format the league and set up the tools that run reports and maintaining the accuracy of these tools, and, and, and..

If each month, coaches picked 1 team from the 4 or 5 categories and added all 4 or 5 of those teams to gamefinder..
They just start checking off every other team on gamefinder without even looking at the teams they're selecting..
Each month would flip flop the order that you check off teams to play against ..top to bottom, then bottom to top..

The very fist game offered accepted, you just agree to..

Thoughts so far?"

koadah

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2019 - 16:09 Reply with quote Back to top

@gamelsetlmatch: My thoughts? It is worse/more hardcore than Black Box. You cannot pick your opponents, but opponents can pick you.

This idea has come up quite often. I guess that a lot of the people who would go for it are already playing Box. For the others, I think that it could get old pretty quickly.

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2019 - 17:38 Reply with quote Back to top

mister__joshua wrote:
mrt1212 wrote:
Dominik wrote:
I play 1-2 games a week and it is mostly r/b tournament games. So this is what I do:
Build up a few teams to TV 1800+, join every major qualifier and from time to time a brawl if you're in good mood and play this one arranged game each week. If a XFL qualifier starts, it is 3 games each week but sometimes you start in round 2 so you have more than two weeks anyway to play one of these games.

That said means never retire as I don't have the time to rebuild a team. I rather go on with a team that has 4 Loner but a few decent players than to start with a blank sheet.

This is a great suggestion to get your fix. Do note that you will be required to schedule times with an opponent and as such it's probably good to have a pre arranged 'relax time' period where you could do anything really but one night a week, you've got a tourney to play.

The problem with that suggestion is if you don’t already have the teams at that TV the ‘build a few teams up to 1800’ part takes forever. Wotfudboy seems to have half a dozen in that range though, so it may work for him.

Bar Brawls have 3 Tiers between 0 TW and Infinite TW. Royal Rookie Rumbles have an imposition of being a team with 0 games.
datom

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2019 - 20:13 Reply with quote Back to top

CIBBL is great for this. Play one game a week, spec the other 100+ teams when you have spare time!

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2019 - 20:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Join ELF and play their seasons.
Or try gridfilling.

Ranked Smile
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2019 - 00:10 Reply with quote Back to top

It really depends on

a) what times your "irregular hours" will be, and
b) how competitive your mindset is.

/re a), since you're looking for non-scheduled games, and you have little time, the most important thing is to find matches in a way that's not frustrating. Both R and B can be frustrating but I've found that in Euro evening times, Box ist the way to go, whereas during Euro daytime hours, R used to be better. Box has been catching up though with the Trophy. Don't believe the h8ters about Box, it's quite diverse these days.

/re b), if you want to be competitive, you could give Box Trophy a go but then, with 2 games per week you won't come anywhere near finish. Or you could try meta groups, ARR and Human League are pretty much dead, so E.L.F. seems the best bet, if you're into Elves. (Works better with R though.) Or you could pick a race and try to get that Ranking to Legend. If you don't care so much about winning or losing, you can always play some Stunties for laughs, or try to build a motto team and do some blogs / bio stuff if you have a little time but no opportunity to play a match.
garyt1

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2019 - 01:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Box just needs activations and then you are all set to go. Ranked needs a bit more effort in that people often want biased matchups, but both are pretty quick at busy times. No problem to play FUMBBL without a regular timeslot.

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2019 - 09:22 Reply with quote Back to top

You seem to be in 2 fun leagues with some great coaches. Try to stay in both, if thats not possible, skip one, stay in the one where you have more fun.

If you find the spare time, do what Dominik suggests. Getting from time to time into a tournament and between these tournaments building your team up can be quite rewarding. For box trophy and Secret league you would need more time.
Wotfudboy

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2019 - 12:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the advice guys. Much appreciated.

I have joined in the fun with Black Box Trophy, but will probably just get games in at the weekend for the most part and try to get my League games done midweek.

I’ll see how things go and then will branch out as appropriate!

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2019 - 14:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Move to Australia (or the Far East) and join the Southern Wastes League.

Putting the romantic in necromantic since 2010
 Jump to: