35 coaches online • Server time: 17:44
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
The_Carthaginian

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2019 - 21:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi All,

I run the FUMBBL client from Firefox in Ubuntu 18.04, which I installed about a week ago. The client was running using IcedTea until a day or two ago, but now when I try and spec or start a match, nothing happens.

Trying to run it from the command line:

Code:
$ /usr/bin/javaws ffblive.jnlp

gives the following error:

Code:
selected jre: /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle thread 'main' panicked at 'Error spawning JVM process, java executable: [/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle], arguments: [["-splash:/usr/share/icedtea-web/javaws_splash.png", "-Xbootclasspath/a:/usr/share/icedtea-web/javaws.jar:/usr/share/java/js.jar:/usr/share/java/tagsoup.jar:/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle/lib/ext/nashorn.jar:", "-classpath", "/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle/lib/rt.jar:/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle/lib/ext/jfxrt.jar:", "-Dicedtea-web.bin.name=javaws", "-Dicedtea-web.bin.location=/usr/lib/icedtea-web/bin/javaws", "net.sourceforge.jnlp.runtime.Boot", "ffblive.jnlp"]]', src/os_access.rs:36:19 note: Run with RUST_BACKTRACE=1 for a backtrace.

I uninstalled Java 8 with the intention of reinstalling it, but it seems like the PPAs are no longer being maintained as Oracle require you to log in using an account. I also tried using Java 11, but that gives a similar error.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how I can get the client running, please?

Many thanks!! <3

Last edited by The_Carthaginian on Apr 19, 2019 - 12:15; edited 1 time in total
razmus

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2019 - 21:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm only a casual Ubuntu user, and don't play with Java on that platform anymore, but... Does this link help? https://launchpad.net/~webupd8team/+archive/ubuntu/java
The_Carthaginian

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2019 - 21:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm a casual too - that's one of the links where they explain that the PPAs for Java 8 won't be maintained.
razmus

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2019 - 21:21 Reply with quote Back to top

But at the bottom it gives instructions for adding an untrusted repository for obtaining the unsupported PPA going forward.
The_Carthaginian

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2019 - 21:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Ohh, yes - I saw this when I first started trying to fix the issue and then forgot all about that as I fell down the rabbit hole.

Adding that PPA gives the message:

Code:
N: This must be accepted explicitly before updates for this repository can be applied. See apt-secure(8) manpage for details.

I don't know how to explicitly accept it - any ideas?
The_Carthaginian

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2019 - 21:25 Reply with quote Back to top

(Oh wait, might have found it)
The_Carthaginian

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2019 - 21:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Nope - added the repository but get error 404 when I try installing.
razmus

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2019 - 21:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm... don't know for certain, and I'm taking a guess, but based on this previous occurrence and that the PPA is manually updated and I suspect oracle just moved files with the license change on Tuesday... that it's awaiting someone at WebUpd8 to update the installer... Sad
The_Carthaginian

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2019 - 22:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Hopefully! I came across that thread too. Let's see if it gets updated.
The_Carthaginian

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2019 - 12:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Stowelly's kind advice saves the day!

The solution was to download the .rpm directly from Oracle's website (free account required), and convert it to a .deb with a tool called Alien: https://www.howtoforge.com/converting_rpm_to_deb_with_alien

I also had to get oracle-java8-installer. I couldn't get that from Synaptic, but was able to get it directly from deb.org: https://deb.pkgs.org/universal/opennms-stable-i386/oracle-java8-installer_8u131-1~webupd8~2_all.deb.html

See you on the pitch!
det

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2019 - 14:30 Reply with quote Back to top

nice, this might turn in handy when I upgrade my version...thanks!
 Jump to: