35 coaches online • Server time: 00:52
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post [L] OBBA Smack Talk ...goto Post Cindy fumbling after...goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
aerofool

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2019 - 19:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm working on an article series about how people play their fave teams.

All Linemen? All 4 Blitzers? Ogre?

Please share your starting human rosters and your reasoning.

Thanks in advance for the help with my research!

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2019 - 19:59 Reply with quote Back to top

I try and utilise all the skills that are found in humans and starting out a rookie team is a boon.

1x Thrower
1x Catcher
2x Blitzers
1x Ogre
7x Lino

Apo
RR x2
0 FF

Approx 970 TV

sometime along those lines

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2019 - 20:21 Reply with quote Back to top

The common one is

1x thrower
4x blitzers
1x ogre
5x lino
3x reroll

and I think that is a 970 tv line up. Grab an apo after game one and a catcher as a 12th man
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2019 - 20:36 Reply with quote Back to top

apoth 5
RRx2 10
11 men55
4 blitz +16
ogre +9
throw +2
catch +1

980 TV

Thrower and Catcher are key to winning

4 Blitzers for blocking and blitzing

Ogre to punch a hole that gets the 2d blocks going

4 lineman fill out team

2 rr minimum for starting

apoth so you aren't wasting time and need to start over.

pros: Team starts out with all the needed core skills for a solid team.

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2019 - 20:39
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

We go have a page for that in the help section:
https://fumbbl.com/help:LRB6RaceStrategy
aerofool

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2019 - 20:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Lorebass wrote:
We go have a page for that in the help section:
https://fumbbl.com/help:LRB6RaceStrategy

I am aware, I am looking for variations beyond the "suggested" or "preferred" rosters.

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2019 - 22:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Humans are cheap enough that you can get the key elements straightaway. 4 Blitzers is a must. One thrower is an easy choice too.

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2019 - 13:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I've been having fun (and some succes) with a fast variant:

4 blitzers
4 catchers
2 linemem
1 Ogre
3 Rr

it is rather reliant on the ag 3 not crapping out on you, which it is wont to do, but eh. Got to live a little, as humans.

Speed is one of the things they have really going for them, so might as well go all out. Being able to keep up or even outrun woodies is fun. Smile

But I have to admit that, after the first few games, I've replaced a couple of catchers with linemen. Spamming dodge and MA 8 can definitely be an asset in the rookie matchups, but the str 2 is too much of an issue after the opponents gather some skills.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2019 - 16:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I love to get in and mix it up with Humans, and I'm lukewarm on Ogres. They're nice against the armor teams (Dorf, Orc, CD, Lizards), which are your biggest weakness, but they weaken your team against most other races. Bonehead and +90k TV, neither is friendly to your squad. Without heavy AV or high ST or lots of S access, you have to play your guts out every game, and that means relying on every trick in the book. Giving all that stuff to one Bonehead guy and hoping for a better outcome is goofy... unless you know how you're going to do it.

You can get by without Catchers. They're okay as a change-up to Linemen, sort of like Skeletons on Undead. You can sack -1ST and -1AV to get +2MA, Catch, Dodge, and GA/SP access. Okay, sure, but don't hesitate to turn it down and just rely on that workhorse 6 3 3 8 to get the job done.

Throwers are more central, because they start with Sure Hands at 0 SPP, and Pass and P access are just bonus. But you don't *need* to start with one: lots of teams have to pick up with AG3 and no Sure Hands. Just buy one quickly. Carry with Blitzers so you can skill them up, until you have the cash for a Thrower.

When hiring Humans, here's how I see it.
11 players = 550k min
+4 Blitzers = +160k
+3 Re-Rolls = 150k
Subtotal: 860k
Balance: 140k
Options: Ogre (+90k), Apothecary (+50k), 0-2 Re-Rolls (+50k each), 0-2 Reserves (+50k each), 0-2 Throwers (+20k each), 0-4 Catchers (+10k each), plus FF and coaching/cheer staff (10k each).

I tend to try to maximize gold value on Humans, because it's what they do best. So I grab an Apothecary, leaving me 90k. Now, I can just afford a rather brutalist approach at a team with an Ogre (lemme tell you, having an Ogre makes you want that Apoth even more), or I can grab a reserve and a Thrower, and still have 20k left over to get some Catchers or something. Usually the latter, but both ways work. (I would observe that you'll actually do more damage with the reserve roster than the one with the Ogre, because having that reserve means you can boot more freely.)

So...

Default roster: 4 Blitzers, Thrower, 0-2 Catchers (maybe a 2nd Thrower if 0 Catchers, but I like 1 Catcher), enough Linemen to round out to 12 players, 3 Re-Rolls, and an Apothecary. Hire Linemen and/or Ogre to taste, plus 4th re-roll eventually.

Roster vs. heavy mix: Ogre, 4 Blitzers, 6 Linemen (11 players), 3 Re-Rolls, Apothecary. Hire a Thrower, then some Catchers.

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2019 - 22:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Humans do not do 'well' until they get lucky enough to roll some +STAT players in the Agility department. Keep this in mind if your desire is to have a large team and a winning team. Right from the start, you want to try and build your heros, and you have no idea who they will be, so take all the positionals you can get.

If you have the discipline to NOT activate your ogre when you are making a key play, the sooner you buy the ogre, the sooner he might get block, or instead, be regulated to Line of Scrimmage duty with just Guard and Stand Firm, if he dosn't roll doubles after 16 SPP. He will be someone's pain in the ass until he dies, or hits 31 SPP.

4 Blitzers are a must.

The thrower is a necessity, otherwise you waste re-rolls on picks ups every game.

One catcher is how you score against dwarves and orks in 2 or 3 turns. That speed is one thing they don't have.

3 re-rolls.. you need the re-rolls to score in 2 turns, on turns 7 & 8. If you have just 2 re-rolls per half, you don't have any left on turn 7 to tie the game before the half.

4B, 1T, 1C, and 6 Linos is the roster I favor, unless I feel lucky on the Ogre straight away.

Get dirty player on some linos and get up to 14 guys.. fouling off high TV enemy can get humans draws (or even wins) against slow teams a lot of the time.

Kick the ball.. force them to score ASAP, and go for the 2-1 grind. Every win is a frustrating challenge for humans.. and rewarding.

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2019 - 15:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Great ideas! I love to see the thinking outside of the box here! Thanks so much!