37 coaches online • Server time: 10:33
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post test mode doesnt wor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Cerebrosus

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2019 - 17:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Mostly curious about general stuff like do you want to kick off first half, how good of an idea is it to have a hole in your formation early to try to make them score quick and when to field your deathroller. First, second or "third" drive?

Stuff like that.
DrPoods

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2019 - 17:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Not to be flippant about it, but "fielding your Deathroller" is the first problem as I suspect he wouldn't see the field for very long against well coached DE in the first place. I'm no expert though.

I would also consider kicking first against them. Try and force a quick score or, if they don't/won't then you have to try preventing the score at all.

If it was me, I would look at what guys like Purplechest do. Watch some of his replays against DE. The man is a master.

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2019 - 17:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I think fielding your deathroller makes sense on a long, slow drive for your own team. If you only have a small bench then it may be tempting to receive first to make sure it doesn't have to come in for a one turn drive. If you have a few on the bench then receive second half and bring it on then. You need a long use of out it to get anywhere close to being decent value.

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2019 - 17:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Always kick first. It gives you better insight when it comes to second half strategy. Best to keep them to a TD or less in the first half because it will take a long grind for you to score.

I usually give up a quick TD, and grind out a 5 or 6 turn TD to end the 1st half. Load the DR to start the second half and grind an 8 turn TD for the win.

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2019 - 17:56 Reply with quote Back to top

garyt1 wrote:
I think fielding your deathroller makes sense on a long, slow drive for your own team. If you only have a small bench then it may be tempting to receive first to make sure it doesn't have to come in for a one turn drive. If you have a few on the bench then receive second half and bring it on then. You need a long use of out it to get anywhere close to being decent value.

Another alternative is to play teams about 100 tv larger than yours and get a bribe. Then it does not matter much if you kick or receive because you should get full use of the roller for most of the game.
Rbthma

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2019 - 18:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I would kick pretty much always...the deathroller I usually field first drive, but a lot depends on whether you think your opponent can get the quick score or whether you can stop him. I've been burned a few times by not fielding it on defense then losing players to below 11 and having to field him for 1-2 turns.
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2019 - 18:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't play much Dwarves but with Dark Elves against Dwarves I would choose to kick and defend with 11, hope to stop the score or even steal the ball, then take my chances on offence with whatever's left. So yeah, what the others have said, kick if you have the choice, put your Tacklers on their Dodgers, hit their AV7 players when you can.

If you leave a deliberate hole don't make it too big, or too many Elves will go through and camp on your goal line.

If you start on Defence, fielding the Death Roller has two advantages: It poses a threat as a cage breaker, and Secret Weapon is an incentive to score early. If by turn 2 or 3 you can get to a position with a lot of contact and some pressure on the ball where your opponent has the option to score with a couple of dice rolls, he might get tempted. Then either the 2-1 grind is on OR you get lucky, he fails a roll and you can swarm the ball. But be careful not to overcommit or he will just run circles around you.
MenonaLoco

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2019 - 19:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, what verminardo says:

1) Choose to kick. 2) the biggest value you can get out of a deathroller is by cage breaking or causing an early score.
Cerebrosus

Post   Posted: May 02, 2019 - 13:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks a lot. Highly appreciate the thoughts and tips.

Intentionally fielding the roller first drive to bait out a quicker score and threaten a cage more is a very neat idea. It's probably either that or fielding it in the second half, which really isn't ideal.
andydavo

Post   Posted: May 02, 2019 - 20:05 Reply with quote Back to top

So being someone who likes dark elves and does ok with them, here are some things I hate when dwarves do to me.

Overload (mark with 2-3 players 1 of my guys, worse if they stack a guard in there and are able to tag 3ish players a turn. Why? Because it forces me to dodge away (and burn RR since mass tackle) or trade av8 hits for av9 thick skull ones.
I also hate it if they stay central and bulldoze their way down the pitch, locking out a sideline is easy and counter surfing is fun.
Last thing, if they over commit to getting the ball I will feint 1 way then go the other. So i hate patient dwarves, much harder to pull around.
 Jump to: