62 coaches online • Server time: 20:30
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Waagh

Post   Posted: May 14, 2019 - 19:30 Reply with quote Back to top

https://invisioncommunity.co.uk/blood-bowl-3-and-a-new-game-under-the-vampire-the-masquerade-being-revealed/

The makers of the blood bowl of game are claiming a new edition of "paper" (table top?) In 2020 with "all new rules" how dose the community feel about this? How would you feel if Blood Bowl went the way of Warhammer Fantasy and was no longer "officially" supported (again). Would this sight rebuild the game to mirror the new rules or stay with what they have been playing for decades?
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: May 14, 2019 - 19:40 Reply with quote Back to top

The rules changed as recently as 2016, so another rules update isn't exactly something out of the blue. i would suspect that any new ruleset is going to be refining and building on what has relatively recently been released. It should be noted that ~2020 is around the sort of time you'd expect all the rosters/stars to be updated via spikes, so at that point there is a platform to build upon, and there will be plenty of feedback to consider already.

Whatever happens I'm sure we'll all have something to complain about and something to get excited about in the future. Interesting times! Wink

Post   Posted: May 14, 2019 - 20:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Looking forward to this

Post   Posted: May 14, 2019 - 20:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Plus blood bowl 3

Post   Posted: May 14, 2019 - 20:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm but they haven't finished this edition...

Post   Posted: May 14, 2019 - 20:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Who is working on these rules?

Post   Posted: May 14, 2019 - 21:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe they're talking about a compendium or maybe just about BB16 being fully out?
Garion

Post   Posted: May 14, 2019 - 21:24 Reply with quote Back to top

They are turning games (and box sets generally) over very fast at the moment. It wouldn't surprise me if it were a true 2nd edition

Post   Posted: May 14, 2019 - 21:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Some people over on face book blood bowl community were saying that it could be a translator error and that it could just be that BB3 is just going to conform to BB2016 rules.
juck101

Post   Posted: May 14, 2019 - 23:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah I would guess its just the 2016 rule set with stars. In another year it will be full of updates and more like the tabletop set
Verminardo

Post   Posted: May 14, 2019 - 23:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
They are turning games (and box sets generally) over very fast at the moment. It wouldn't surprise me if it were a true 2nd edition

Well, that would be rather annoying wouldn't it.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: May 14, 2019 - 23:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Well firstly; this information is coming from Cyanide...not GW. So the more cooks passing along the information, the more chance of mis-comunication. My initial thoughts are:

I think the fact that Cyanide are making a new edition isn't anything spectacular. As long as the game is popular, they'll make new editions. So my thoughts on the possibilities are as follows:

A: There's no actual confirmation that anything is going to change on the 'paper' edition. This is all coming through the computer games network and very liable to be inaccurate or hyped. It could be very well that a new version with all new rules put in one box is released or a compendium or compendium of a compendium (i.e. almost no impact to us). Cyanide have a fair bit to catch up and remove to be 2016 compliant anyway.

B: Due to the relative success of Cyanide's game, they've decided to up their involvement in the game. They have now a percentage of control over the actual game and with GW will make a new version, that'll be tailored to the computer game market as well as the TT market. Instead of what is now where the computer game's an adaption of a board game.

C: Blood Bowl as it is, essentially isn't a GW made game. The game is what the community developed and has been taken back by GW; who are now making changes. This is possibly a problem (that BBRC has made a large part of the game GW are selling). Possibly legally this is a problem, so they wish to have full control and full rights of their current game and intellectual property.

All 3 I think all are very plausible. I'd say A is the most conservative and therefore the most likely.
Christy

Post   Posted: May 15, 2019 - 00:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I imagine the BBRC signed things to give Games Workshop IP.

I would add
D: Games Workshop are working on an updated version of the game and are working with Cyanide to match up with the online system. It saves Cyanide needing to worry about making up rules.

So Games Workshop working on the rules but Cyanide want to keep up to date for their own product (and they need a new version for a fresh cash injection and up to date rules seems like a decent selling point).

The fact that Cyanide made the announcement is weird though. This factor makes me think A is still more likely but I think the above is a slight but important variation on B and is a little more likely.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: May 15, 2019 - 00:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Christy wrote:
I imagine the BBRC signed things to give Games Workshop IP.

Well originally the BBRC was GW made and the involved with the BBRC up to very near the end.

However right at the end it got very messy. Now, it was a fair while ago, I wasn't directly involved and and and.

However however the BBRC became more and more independent, which was ok with GW as the BBRC had good knowledge and were improving the game. BB has evolved into a competitive game with fairly watertight rules far more than any other figure/wargame has ever. With the NAF and the competition scene BB has moved into a category of game of its own.

Anyway back on topic. Towards the end GW became very unhappy with Galak's involvement. Due to his commercial interests involving figure lines and his own game. They were only happy with the continuation of the BBRC if he stepped down. However the latter rules (lrb 5+/CRP) were basically Galak's work. Now I wasn't involved and I'm down playing some key figures involved in making those rules, but without Galak the game now would be very different I believe.

So in a nutshell (with details missing) what we have is a ruleset developed by a guy that did not have GW's consent. This is why their boxset went back to 4th edition rules (rather than a lrb) 5 or so years ago. So, yes up to LRB 5 the BBRC was given the nod by GW. After that it's sketchy and at some point Galak did step down to save the BBRC, yet that didn't happen.

Legally now..........or GW's happiness due to the above...it could possibly be an issue.

Last edited by harvestmouse on May 15, 2019 - 00:59; edited 1 time in total
Waagh

Post   Posted: May 15, 2019 - 00:58 Reply with quote Back to top

https://www.pcgamer.com/blood-bowl-3-is-coming-next-year/
Looks like a new edition is happening and PC gamer types want it dumbed down a bit. At least the author of this article dose.
 Jump to: