45 coaches online • Server time: 11:55
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
How picky are you?
1 - I am the ANTIPICKER
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
2 - I like it rough
9%
 9%  [ 10 ]
3 - Fair dinkum
24%
 24%  [ 26 ]
4 - As long as...
19%
 19%  [ 21 ]
5 - Wind at our backs
7%
 7%  [ 8 ]
6 - Clawpombers
10%
 10%  [ 11 ]
7 - Mighty blow is mightier than the sword
7%
 7%  [ 8 ]
8 - Only handle with cotton gloves
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
9 - CR beware
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
10 - I win again!
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
Pie - you might have got a game in the time it took you to write this. Oh no, wait.
6%
 6%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 107

ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2019 - 12:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Kondor I turn down games every time I go onto Ranked for those reasons. Plenty of people on the site have PMs from explaining exactly why I don't want to play, or to say that I'd be more comfortable playing them in L.

If I think I'm going to win rather easily you had better be someone I like or I think does genuinely want the game no matter what, and also simply be in a situation where if I don't play you, you'll probably end up with an even more lopsided game you might like even less if I don't take your offer. Most of the games I play that are like that have been in the US timezone tbh.

For me, the most interesting parts of BB are working out my opponent's turns, plans, tendencies... if the skill disparity of the coaches or the races makes this impossible it is rather tedious for me. To the point of it actually being annoying quite often, so yeah, I generally don't play these games if I have a choice unless it's as a favour or to help someone learn.

Last edited by ArrestedDevelopment on Oct 23, 2019 - 12:58; edited 4 times in total
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2019 - 12:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I voted myself a 6. I actively avoid kill teams full of Claw. I dont mind a little claw (and I have the odd bash team myself), but the ClawPOmb or DP ladened teams i see as a game of luck vs skill. However, I do find I will pick on Claw teams if they lack tackle with my elf teams...

I do have Ogres, Flings and Goblins i regularly throw on gamefinder and I do get alot of offers from bash teams to play, but I only play my "crap races" when I am in the mood. My Ogres copped a 5-1 beating last night by some High Elves and I enjoyed the game... but I need to be in the right mood.
koadah

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2019 - 12:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Kondor wrote:

I will say that in my opinion, if you ever decline a game challenge from Goblins, Flings, Underworld or Ogres your picker rating is off the chart. Why do you even try to get a match in Ranked if you are that picky?

I don't really try to get games in Ranked. Wink
I don't play much these days so when I play I will be really picky.

If I want to play, then I'll want to play what I want to play.

If I really don't mind, then that is what Box is for.

Generally, I don't want to play against whiners.

Not people who whine when Nuffle is not with then. Not people who whine because I am not playing quickly enough. Not people who comment "you're not very good are you?" (especially when they are losing).
Not someone who is pimping for the Majors and their only goal is to avoid injuries and return MNGers.

Ideally, not someone who will be completely silent.

I probably won't pick Lizardmen. Sometimes I won't want to play vs flings, gobbos or ogres. Surely that is the point of Ranked. You play the match that you want to play. Otherwise you have box.

In open League, there is less choice so I'd probably take whatever is offered. With the massive numbers of races available I don't really know what teams are supposed to look like anyway. The advantage is that I tend to draw fewer whiners.

I haven't played R or B for a while so that may be unfair. Wink

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2019 - 13:30 Reply with quote Back to top

ArrestedDevelopment wrote:
Kondor I turn down games every time I go onto Ranked for those reasons. Plenty of people on the site have PMs from explaining exactly why I don't want to play, or to say that I'd be more comfortable playing them in L.

If I think I'm going to win rather easily you had better be someone I like or I think does genuinely want the game no matter what, and also simply be in a situation where if I don't play you, you'll probably end up with an even more lopsided game you might like even less if I don't take your offer. Most of the games I play that are like that have been in the US timezone tbh.

For me, the most interesting parts of BB are working out my opponent's turns, plans, tendencies... if the skill disparity of the coaches or the races makes this impossible it is rather tedious for me. To the point of it actually being annoying quite often, so yeah, I generally don't play these games if I have a choice unless it's as a favor or to help someone learn.

AD, you sir are the exception. I just glanced through three pages of your last matches. Only 8 were Ranked matches. I recognized 7 of the coaches. Every one of them is either a great coach or a ton of fun to play against.

@Koadah

Yeah. I hear you. I also took a look at your last three pages of matches. I only saw 2 ranked games and the rest are League. (Probably SL)

However, the stats show that even though you and AD do not play many ranked matches, someone is. They are still happening.

As for myself, 19 Ranked games over three pages. Still, most of my matches have turned to Box and SL. I just refuse to sit and wait more than 15 minutes for someone to agree to a match.

I've started entering tournaments just so that I know I will get a game as planned.
koadah

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2019 - 14:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Kondor wrote:
However, the stats show that even though you and AD do not play many ranked matches, someone is. They are still happening.

I wasn't disputing that Ranked games happen. Mr. Green

I'm just saying that Ranked allows you to pick your games so you should pick them as it suits you.

You may well find it easier to get games if people were less picky. But, I suspect that if people are less happy about the matchup they are more likely to whine if it starts going against them. Wink

It depends on what you want from the experience. Wink

Edit: As you probably guessed, I only played those two Ranked games because I couldn't find anything in [L]eague. Wink

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2019 - 16:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I don’t know. When I used to play vampires a lot in ranked I would get a lot of offers because I think most people think a game against vampires is an easy win and easy casualties. If things didn’t go well for them, a lot of people got really salty.
Gozer_the_Gozerian

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2019 - 16:56 Reply with quote Back to top

This poll needs this option: I enter a bunch of agility teams for people to click on, then go AFK. (Not sure which end of the scale it falls under though.)
Mattius

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2019 - 17:40 Reply with quote Back to top

What ranking would this team get? Very Happy
https://fumbbl.com/p/team?op=view&showstats=1&team_id=853877
Joost

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2019 - 17:55 Reply with quote Back to top

8: I cannot find much passion for playing Ranked. The only purpose it has would be to avoid certain opposition (but there are better ways) or to farm a superteam for tourneys (takes time, but it seems effective). So whenever I play ranked it is for farming, not to compete. Hwowever, lack of patience lately has seen me face claws after all. But that is not the intent, just the result of me being unable to stick to a plan and execute.
lanky316

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2019 - 18:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Mattius wrote:

Noob bait - It's there so it looks like a team that someone working their way up would get a fairish game but then you get on the pitch and find some ridiculous players against you that can destroy you, bonus points for the natural one turner.
Mattius

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2019 - 21:54 Reply with quote Back to top

lanky316 wrote:
Mattius wrote:

Noob bait - It's there so it looks like a team that someone working their way up would get a fairish game but then you get on the pitch and find some ridiculous players against you that can destroy you, bonus points for the natural one turner.

I was looking up the stats thinking, I bet there won't be many dwarf match ups. But couldn't find dwarfs on the tab.. It's a work of art.
garyt1

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2019 - 00:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Wow that is picking to an extraordinary level. A lot of Halfling teams have seen that Skaven oneturner.

Somehow I don't think I have ever noticed the team stats option before. Look at my Blackbox ogres stats. You can draw one conclusion from them.... Yes Norse are underpowered Very Happy

https://fumbbl.com/p/team?op=view&showstats=1&team_id=668843

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2019 - 01:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I have a strategy to get pickers off the fence. I see a really good-looking matchup, and I greenlight something just a hair in my favor. I let it sit for a minute, and then I greenlight the matchup I really want. Doesn't always work, but works a lot.

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2019 - 11:09 Reply with quote Back to top

garyt1 wrote:
Wow that is picking to an extraordinary level. A lot of Halfling teams have seen that Skaven oneturner.

Somehow I don't think I have ever noticed the team stats option before. Look at my Blackbox ogres stats. You can draw one conclusion from them.... Yes Norse are underpowered Very Happy

https://fumbbl.com/p/team?op=view&showstats=1&team_id=668843

I saved one of your replays on my profile. Is Vs Norse, it's brilliant!
https://fumbbl.com/p/match?id=3955064
 Jump to: