65 coaches online • Server time: 21:35
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood
An indeterminable amount
20%
 20%  [ 16 ]
Would he chuck wood even if he could?
79%
 79%  [ 62 ]
Total Votes : 78

Malmir

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2020 - 19:24 Reply with quote Back to top

People waiting for reviews (in order with first being first)

Kzarik
KrazeeEyeKilla
Java
Mattius
Nick Nutria
Mekutata
Morbo89

I'm going to work 13 hours this week instead of 50-60 so thought I'd use the time wisely and help people with bloodbowl. If you'd like some advice/tips on your general play or a specific team and how you play them, skill choices or anything else, such as personal hygiene, post below. If you link me a specific game you would like help with, I will try and properly analyse it based on the focus you give me (tell me what you want me to look for, or if you aren't sure say so). First come first served and I reserve the right to reclaim my time as my own so any Johhnycomelatelys may forever remain below par. I may also post my advice on here to see what others may offer and if my advice is actually any good.

Last edited by Malmir on Apr 15, 2020 - 19:48; edited 5 times in total
flashman1234

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2020 - 20:07 Reply with quote Back to top

How do you work 50-60 hours a week and still play so much Blood Bowl?

serious question - In classic resurrection 1100TV tournaments, should I get Sure Hands for a player (in a team that doesn't start with any), or does that weaken the team?

2 examples -
Undead Ghoul
Orcs if I don't take a thrower
WalterWight

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2020 - 20:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Malmir,
I'll take any advice you have on this debacle
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&id=4133974

Thank you,
WW
Java

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2020 - 20:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I hope you like numbered questions.

1) Why Dwarves?

2) Has the theoretical trick where, faced with a blodgestepper hugging the sidelines, one fills all the gaps in the screen with stunties and then chainsurfs the smug git, ever worked?

3) Is it ever time to stop stalling?

4) Seriously, why dwarves?

5) As a side note, and I understand this is not a question, but I'm already not taking this seriously enough, any youngsters watching should know that the 40 hours work week is a great achievement of our forefathers and if someone wants to work more than that, fine for them, but it shouldn't be taken as the expected norm. 8 hours working, 8 hours sleeping, 8 hours playing BB! and weekends for scheduled games against american coaches! bloodbowlers of the world, unite! you've got nothing to lose except your games! (and your legends)
(this is not intended as a critique)

6) what's the best 6th skill for an ag5, two heads, block and guard Beastman Runner?

7) Are you in favour of putting dwarf coaches on some sort of register?

8 ) there's some teams I struggle with (e.g. woodies) and even though I might manage to get decent results with them, I can see that other coaches do things differently and play safer, better drives as a result, BUT I CANNOT TELL WHAT THE DIFFERENCE IS. Should I just stick to playing bash teams?

9) Who's the worst smelling TT coach?

I'm going back to wrapping a metal shelf in cardboard now, stay safe.
Malmir

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2020 - 21:01 Reply with quote Back to top

WalterWight wrote:
Malmir,
I'll take any advice you have on this debacle
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&id=4133974

Thank you,
WW

I'll take a look and get back to you in the next couple of days Walter
Malmir

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2020 - 21:06 Reply with quote Back to top

flashman1234 wrote:
How do you work 50-60 hours a week and still play so much Blood Bowl?

serious question - In classic resurrection 1100TV tournaments, should I get Sure Hands for a player (in a team that doesn't start with any), or does that weaken the team?

2 examples -
Undead Ghoul
Orcs if I don't take a thrower

That all depends on how many Wood Elves you expect to be facing. In general it's worthwhile I'd say as woodies are popular and to be without could be deadly.
Malmir

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2020 - 21:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Java wrote:
I hope you like numbered questions.

1) Why Dwarves?
Someone at GW thought there were a good idea.

2) Has the theoretical trick where, faced with a blodgestepper hugging the sidelines, one fills all the gaps in the screen with stunties and then chainsurfs the smug git, ever worked?
Yes several times.
3) Is it ever time to stop stalling?
Yes when it is too risky.
4) Seriously, why dwarves?
See above
5) As a side note, and I understand this is not a question, but I'm already not taking this seriously enough, any youngsters watching should know that the 40 hours work week is a great achievement of our forefathers and if someone wants to work more than that, fine for them, but it shouldn't be taken as the expected norm. 8 hours working, 8 hours sleeping, 8 hours playing BB! and weekends for scheduled games against american coaches! bloodbowlers of the world, unite! you've got nothing to lose except your games! (and your legends)
(this is not intended as a critique)
You're right - that's not a question.
6) what's the best 6th skill for an ag5, two heads, block and guard Beastman Runner?
Leap
7) Are you in favour of putting dwarf coaches on some sort of register?
No
8 ) there's some teams I struggle with (e.g. woodies) and even though I might manage to get decent results with them, I can see that other coaches do things differently and play safer, better drives as a result, BUT I CANNOT TELL WHAT THE DIFFERENCE IS. Should I just stick to playing bash teams?
If you can see they do things differently, you can see what the difference is.

9) Who's the worst smelling TT coach?
No idea.
I'm going back to wrapping a metal shelf in cardboard now, stay safe.
Sounds a suitable life goal. You too - watch out for sharp corners.
CoachBuck

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2020 - 21:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey Coach,

Thanks for taking the time. Few Orc questions for you,

1)Considering you have a thrower, would you still put two players deep to receive the kick, or just the one thrower?

2)I've lost 2 games now that I'm aware of based off of me intentionally basing a corner of the cage with an opposing player. The result has been them loading up that corner in the following turn, getting a hit on that corner, then blitzing the ball carrier. Both of these instances have been when trying to advance the cage against screens. I feel like in order to progress the cage I have to base at some point. Once I base it though the corner gets blown, and we lose the ball. I try to be aware of the risks by keeping black orcs as the only potential players doing it, but still it's failed. What's your take on these kinds of scenarios? Intentionally basing the cage, and advancing against screens?

3)Any general advice on learning how to sort out the best lines of play in complex cages, especially with guarders present? I find that I take a minute and a half just staring at the messing scrum before I do anything, and then I end up running out of time or getting surprised by 1D blocks I thought would've been 2.

Thanks again!
Malmir

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2020 - 22:29 Reply with quote Back to top

CoachBuck wrote:
Hey Coach,

Thanks for taking the time. Few Orc questions for you,

1)Considering you have a thrower, would you still put two players deep to receive the kick, or just the one thrower?

2)I've lost 2 games now that I'm aware of based off of me intentionally basing a corner of the cage with an opposing player. The result has been them loading up that corner in the following turn, getting a hit on that corner, then blitzing the ball carrier. Both of these instances have been when trying to advance the cage against screens. I feel like in order to progress the cage I have to base at some point. Once I base it though the corner gets blown, and we lose the ball. I try to be aware of the risks by keeping black orcs as the only potential players doing it, but still it's failed. What's your take on these kinds of scenarios? Intentionally basing the cage, and advancing against screens?

3)Any general advice on learning how to sort out the best lines of play in complex cages, especially with guarders present? I find that I take a minute and a half just staring at the messing scrum before I do anything, and then I end up running out of time or getting surprised by 1D blocks I thought would've been 2.

Thanks again!

1. I'd put one player (the thrower) back but have people who can get back and cover or elves will rush you and you won't be able to protect the ball. General rule - assume the worst (blitz) How screwed will you be? Try to minimise that.

2. Some other sage (I forget who or I would credit them) recently said that if your cage is based, it isn't a cage. These are wise words. Unless you are 90%+ sure you are about to knock over the player you are basing against, then don't. Good players will -2D them (at worst) and get a shot on the ball. Try to stay central (with bash) and hopefully grind them down or, failing that, force a small hole to exploit.

3. This I would say is one of my strengths, but there are too many permutations to be able to offer specific advice. Being good at chess helps as you can see several moves/results ahead. As a general rule, if you think your opponent is better than you and you are attacking, avoid this. If you think you are better than your opponent and you are defending then encourage this (all race dependent i.e. much better if you are bash or defending elves at the right time).
CoachBuck

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2020 - 02:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks, all that is very helpful!
Malmir

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2020 - 12:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Here you go Walter:
Orcs (136) v Chaos Chosen (131)
Pre game notes:
Orcs look well built and have plenty of guard, which is always a good choice. I’d have been tempted to take Mighty Blow instead of tackle on Bloomer, as this would give a bit more hitting power and you have another tackler. It would also get him to 16spp quicker when he could then become your second tackler. Other than that, very solid build and very good record. Opponents Chaos look weak. No-one has two skills, only three have block and no mighty blow other than the rookie mino. On paper this looks very promising for the Orcs. Let’s see what happened.
Chaos take a babe and win the toss and choose to receive. Standard stuff.
Defence set up: three bobs (two with guard) on the los is a solid choice given his lack of bash. I’d have put the other bob straight behind the line of three (where he can’t be reached by quick snap) but if the mino shoves it becomes a 1d or worse. At the very least, it gives him something to think about. This is probably going to descend into a big ruck due to lack of pace on both sides so I would probably have set the rest up more centrally (with linos on each end) so I can see where he tries to go and cover accordingly. If he runs one around the back you can either deal with him or leave him to it and have one less in the scrum – he’s unlikely to be launching passes to him (at least at this stage).
He gets quick snap which is of limited use, but the ball bounces out – getting kick on one of those linos should be a priority. It’s surprising how often it impacts the game.
His Turn 1
Doesn’t manage any damage and a needless 1d early on and dodging through your tackle zones looks promising for us. Yes he made both, but if he keeps taking needless risks like those it should catch up with him.
Your guard will now control the centre and he has slightly split himself in two. I would crash into his cage with mellow on kaos2 (assist needed) and try to apply immediate pressure. You’re likely to get a pow as he doesn’t have block. I’d follow up a pow or move into contact with a both down so I am on base with the carrier. The rest behind can run up and support. Lomein can run round the back in case he tries to go out that way and can then help next turn. Femoral can do similar and volume should be able to pow kaos3 and follow up to further split his offence.
Your Turn 1
You chose to be more conservative. The line looks solid but if he blitzes legroom he can now reconnect his players and our mini advantage has been lost.
His Turn 2
He gets a very lucky ko on our guard bob with another needless 1d block and then does what I expected. He now has a much better formation as they are all together ready to grind down the pitch. The dodge guy finally fails one!
We’ve lost our positional advantage (especially with that ko) so we need to retake control of the centre. Luckily he has left us two free blocks to help us do that. I’d take both those blocks first, hopefully being able to follow up and get assists on the mino. If I didn’t get pows I would push them and not follow up – don’t want to give him back those free shots. The blitz has to be on the mino – once he’s down he may well stay down due to wild animal and if he gets up we can have surrounded him with guard to assist the initial blocks and force him into something else risky.
Your Turn 2
You did it more or less how I would have to begin with, but if disembowel had gone between the mino and the second blocked warrior he could have assisted both with guard leaving two more players free to move later as bloomer wasn’t needed for 2d on that first block so could also have moved later and the lino would not be needed to assist the mino blitz. You could then have blitzed the mino with the mb guy (it didn’t actually affect the outcome but it could have). We have reclaimed the middle though and more or less forced him to move down I would imagine. If we had those two left to move we could have put melody in the way to get hit if he wants to go that route (more or less wasting a blitz) and the blitzer could have moved into a better position.
His Turn 3
He gets the mino loose and puts in a useful foul (probably a fair call as he has the extra man and we don’t). Luckily we are just prone. Then he retreats the carrier on his own. A very elf move and one I wasn’t expecting. He has now effectively reduced himself to nine players for now as kabra the dodge guy can be ignored for now up top and the carrier is too far back. Stand up disembowel, 2d blitz the mino with mellow. Melody and lomain can start pushing round the side just out of contact, while the thrower assists the bob for another 2d. Femoral can assist bloomer for a solid one dice (block v no block) and then our lino gets at least one dice on kabra 4 (depending on whether the last block was a pow to follow up and assist). We’ve now got him fairly hemmed in dice permitting.
Your Turn 3
No too dissimilar but femoral is now too deep instead of pressing home our advantage and melody is going to get blitzed as he comes down the bottom side. We’re all a bit towards the top now and he is likely to be able to screen this as he moves up the pitch.

His Turn 4
He made a poor choice of blitz but got unlucky with all other blocks, failing to knock anyone over.
Disembowel can now guard assist on both the mino and Kaos4. I’d be tempted to blitz kaos 4 with the mb allowing the thrower to tag kaos 1 and kabra 3 so legroom can knock over kabra 4. Bloomer can 1d kaos 2 again leaving lomain to either push up and force the carrier to do something if we get a pow or move back and to the centre if we don’t to support next turn.
Your Turn 4
You didn’t use disembowel’s guard assist properly but we get a ko on the mino. Problem is our thrower is now outgunned instead of being free. We get a lucky 1d pow with our blitzer and are then able to do the blitz. We leave our bob massively outgunned instead of letting him have a 2d block by putting the thrower with the two rookie beastman and then don’t take the 1d block with the lino. By not using the guard properly, that turn became risker than it need have been but we got away with it.

He’s getting short of turns and really needs to start progressing up the pitch unless he’s planning some very risky elf passing action with ag3 and no skills to help.
His Turn 5
We get lucky when legroom take two blocks and the last team rr to knock over. He’s then even more unfortunate when his warrior rolls skull/both down and the turn ends.

We’re now in a very strong postion. Tag the dodge guy with our mb/t. Blitz kaos 4 with mellow and then monocle puts his guard assist between Kaos 1 and 2. One of the guard blitzers can go and assist the thrower and the other can go the other side of kaos 3 to support legrrom who stands and this hems in the two beastman as he’s now looking at 1d next turn. Our thrower and lino can now both probably get 2d blocks using the guard assist initially.
Your Turn 5
We agree almost entirely! Only difference is you used the guarder to get 2d instead of one on that warrior.
Only reason I wouldn’t have done that is he can now knock legroom over if he is lucky and try for the hand off to run clear. He’s no rr though so will need a bit of luck but pretty good odds. He can tag our players first either way. It’s not an ideal play at all but is probably the best he has unless he wants to retreat and take 0-0 at half time. I’d be tempted to free up the beastmen and retreat as even if he makes the 3+ we’ve got a decent chance of getting him and the ball. Problem is we have given him options now when we needn’t have.

His Turn 6
He does neither and heads where we are well protected.

Okay so tag the dodge guy with the tackler (goal side). It’s very sunny so a pass to him is a real long shot. Mellow blitzes kabra 3, hopefully chaining the lino free to tag the ball. If we make that pow he’s in real trouble. Even if we don’t, if the bob follows up the thrower can 2d kabra 6 (no foul appearance please) and the blitzer can tag the ball too/instead. We can easily free up disembowel who can run back and centre to provide general cover. We then have a couple of 1d blocks which as we still have 3 rrs are worth taking.
Your Turn 6
The missed chainblitz meant a max of one guy on the ball instead of possibly two with his support players tagged. Other than that we are good.

He’s really low on options now. I’d 2d to free up Kabra 4. Then blitz the blitzer with the carrier and then run forwards. Then run kabra 4 up and double gfi to tag disembowel and get another in scoring range. I’d leave the rest tagged and say a little prayer.
His Turn 7
He gets really lucky with that dodge blitz and then makes the pass! He’s lucked his way to the score. No wait – he fails the dodge and we are fine again.

He can’t score but can we? Disembowel can run to 1d blitz kaos 3. After a bob 2d we can try a cheeky pass to bloomer and go for an unlikely score.
Your Turn 7
Or we could just hit stuff…

His Turn 8
Fails spp hunting pick up.

Now’s the time to hit stuff.
Your Turn 8
You hit stuff.
So we are 0-0 at the break which sounds good except none of our three kos come back. We are now 8 v 11, though I do feel with a more aggressive approach early on we might be 1-0 up. I kinda feel I know how this second half is going to go so just going to watch it through and leave the commentary there unless there is anything glaring. I don’t think you made any major mistakes, but small things like guard placement and knowing when to push and when to hold can make a big difference. Yeah second half went as expected, especially after that blitz. Hope the first half analysis was helpful – I’m sure Christer would appreciate a site donation 
Malmir

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2020 - 12:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Just to clarify - I deliberately gave my take on each turn without knowing what was going to happen to avoid the benefit of hindsight.
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2020 - 12:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Dear Malmir,

Many thanks for the help thread, I have one question for you:

Recently an acquaintance of mine returned to FUMBBL and started playing regularly again. He's had a meteoric rise through the rankings and I am now faced with the reality that he may, in fact, be better than me at Blood Bowl. How do I deal with this abject situation with minimal damage to my ego? I've thought about just dismissing him as a picker, but he plays blackbox, and not even in a weak time zone. He doesn't minmax.

It's just rolly cubes isn't it? I've seen most of his opponents complain about them too.

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2020 - 13:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Option 1: He's just an acquaintance. Cut him out of your life and pretend he never existed except when you spec his games to cheer his every fail.

Option 2: Find a race that best counters what he plays most often. Build it to perfection for the rating his is at and then use your 'friends' list to find when he's online and teach that sucker a bloodbowling lesson.

ArrestedDevelopment wrote:
Dear Malmir,

Many thanks for the help thread, I have one question for you:

Recently an acquaintance of mine returned to FUMBBL and started playing regularly again. He's had a meteoric rise through the rankings and I am now faced with the reality that he may, in fact, be better than me at Blood Bowl. How do I deal with this abject situation with minimal damage to my ego? I've thought about just dismissing him as a picker, but he plays blackbox, and not even in a weak time zone. He doesn't minmax.

It's just rolly cubes isn't it? I've seen most of his opponents complain about them too.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2020 - 13:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Dear Malmir,

I know there are far greater issues in the world right now, but I have some significant FOMO. All of this FUMBBL action, and my work seems to insist I stay ‘working’ while the kids apparently want parenting at the same time. How much alcohol can I feed the kids at midday to knock them out before it’s considered child abuse, and is quitting my job right now so I can play more Java BB a masterstroke?

Thanks in advance.
 Jump to: