30 coaches online • Server time: 12:34
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Shepherd

Post   Posted: May 12, 2005 - 21:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Could somebody (probably BMM) post a full list of JBB sound effects and their uses? And sticky it, maybe?

This would help sound pack makers create checklists, and also figure out which sounds do double-duty (does the "cheer" sound HAVE to be shared as the touchdown sound and the spectator cheer, for instance?)

Post   Posted: May 12, 2005 - 21:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Erm... I play with the sound off. I'd rather listen to music.

I think that you get a full list just by looking at the "original" folder. I can't imagine there are any set up which aren't in there, although I could be wrong.

One thing I've done (and the reason I'll finally be turning that sound back on) is make a copy of it and delete all the sounds I don't want. For example, I just have the boo, cheer, gotta hurt and ding noises in my new folder, so I can hear the spectators and I get a warning when my turn's up, but otherwise it's quiet.

As far as stickies, let's see what everyone has to say first, then we can make a FAQ to pin to the top.

Post   Posted: May 13, 2005 - 03:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Existing threads on sound editing:

Where to put sounds and how to get the client to use them
A bit more info on .wav format (you need it)
Format details (8 bit mono, 22 kHz)

Post   Posted: May 13, 2005 - 04:08 Reply with quote Back to top

BMM is correct Shep...just open up the "original" folder and you'll see all the sounds available. Most are straight ahead such as pickup.wav, or si.wav etc. A few only need a quick listen to remind you what they are.

For budding sound pack makers I offer the following advice in no particular order

1: Be VERY aware of how sounds work together. Best example is pass into catch. They are almost simultanious. So A pass sound that is too long will overlap with the catch sound and end up "muddy" In LoonyToons I kept original pass (a quick "whoosh) and made catch the "springboard twang". Another example is block into fall over (or inj for that matter). Again if they must be in sync for a good effect. I still rate the LoonyToon blk/fall as my signature piece Wink

2. Think about how often you hear a sound. Steps and blocks for example are used ALL THE TIME. It may seem clever to have a funky saying or whatnot...but by the time you have made your 35th block you are going crazy!

3. Other threads have the file sizes and audio outputs needed. But also use your .wav editor to "balance" the sounds. Once put into BB outputs not all .wavs are the same volume. Use the editor to increase or decrease certain sounds to get a nice level. PacMan is a good example of a UNbalanced pack (I hope to get BMM the updated balanced version soon)

4. Try and keep a nice "theme" While I see the fun in perhaps having a variety of weird and wonderful effects...the culmination can again drive one batty. Keep it clean and simple for best effect.

And yes...sounds that do double duty are just the way it is.

Any other questions people have feel free to PM me or list it here in forum...I keep an eye.