27 coaches online • Server time: 09:28
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
koadah

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2021 - 10:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Parn_Star wrote:
Yeah, there is nothing worse of having a bad gaming experience on here or anywhere else in that matter. That's one of the reasons why I'm very hesitant of joining a League. Well that, and my verbal diarrhea at times, as I know that I need to watch what I say at times, not to upset or hurt someone else's feeling.

In my experience Fumbbl leagues are much better than the open environments and the open environments are much, much better than the vast majority of gaming platforms out there.

So yeah, jump in! Smile

If people do not report toxic coaches to the commissioners then they may not know that there is an issue to deal with.

npe wrote:

My proposal (already proposed to PC) is that 145 needs a two tier system. The first tier for genuinely new players (maybe exclusively teaching games w/experienced coaches and other coaches with less than some arbitrary number of games/experience) and the second tier for coaches that already know the basics and are trying to hone their game.

In the original 145 Club, you would have been kicked out ages ago for having too high a rating or win%. Smile

145 was the original rating that a coach needed to be under to be accepted into the group. Smile
If they stayed above 150 or 50% they would be kicked out.
The rating has changed since then and we now get far fewer real rookies due to BB2.

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2021 - 14:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey everyone, I’m veg_enthusiast! I’ve been playing tt bb for a good while but only ever against the same two people, now I’m keen to be tested by some different/better coaches in the real world... And maybe make some friends along the way?! I’ve applied to join the 145 league and I look forward to playing some of you in the near future Smile
npe

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2021 - 15:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Parn_Star wrote:
I was talking in any group in general, not just the 145.

Sure, but MrPotMask was. Dropping toxic leagues is easy. if 145 is turning off new players, they'll quit FUMBBL entirely.
HimalayaP1C7

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2021 - 15:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi veg_enthusiast, welcome to FUMBBL. 145 is a great place to start, even if you know BB well and just want to learn more about FUMBBL itself.

Have you found your way onto the 145 club Discord? You'll need to be on there to get your team fully applied and to arrange matches (as well as asking any questions you may have).

This page links to the Discord server, see "145 Club Server"
https://fumbbl.com/p/group&group=3180&op=view
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2021 - 18:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, this is potentially very bad. There's no place in 145 for gatekeeping. This requires action of some sort, at a minimum a public statement encouraging long-time BB coaches to be nice to new coaches, no matter how badly that new coach may suck at the game.

We do not want "FUMBBL is a terrible place to learn Blood Bowl" to be any more ingrained into the BB community's mindset than it already is. 145 is our best defense against that. If we have people in 145 harassing new coaches, that's a catastrophe in the making.

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2021 - 18:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think there is too much cause for alarm. MrPotMask was referring to some very tactless comments he received a year ago and npe was making the point that sometimes people can have a bad experience as sometimes there are big experience gaps between 145 players. As far as I can tell the 145 admins already know about these issues and are keeping a close eye on it.
npe

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2021 - 23:02 Reply with quote Back to top

JackassRampant wrote:
Yeah, this is potentially very bad. There's no place in 145 for gatekeeping. This requires action of some sort, at a minimum a public statement encouraging long-time BB coaches to be nice to new coaches, no matter how badly that new coach may suck at the game.

We do not want "FUMBBL is a terrible place to learn Blood Bowl" to be any more ingrained into the BB community's mindset than it already is. 145 is our best defense against that. If we have people in 145 harassing new coaches, that's a catastrophe in the making.

To be clear, nobody was ever actively dismissive or mean my first go round. They were just so much better than me that games were not competitive at all (my defense would collapse or I would be turned over after a turn or two).

That's why I advocate a formal onboarding process and two tiers (one for coaches looking to improve, one for coaches that need to learn the basics in a safe environment). Catch the sharks and the brand new players during onboarding and make sure that everybody is getting the experience they want and need.
npe

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2021 - 23:06 Reply with quote Back to top

HimalayaP1C7 wrote:
I don't think there is too much cause for alarm. MrPotMask was referring to some very tactless comments he received a year ago and npe was making the point that sometimes people can have a bad experience as sometimes there are big experience gaps between 145 players. As far as I can tell the 145 admins already know about these issues and are keeping a close eye on it.

A lot of these issues could be fixed IMO if there was something similar to the SWL's "blooding" process to join 145. One way would be to play experienced coaches' lino teams for two games before league admission. This would catch wildly disparate skill levels and make sure that everybody gets the help they need before they end up with a mismatch.
HimalayaP1C7

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2021 - 23:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Probably worth a new thread for further discussion, or raise it at the 145 Discord, the Welcome thread may be getting de-railed.
Parn_Star

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2021 - 03:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with HimalayaP1C7, that this topic should go to another thread.

I feel like I might of started it, mostly trying encourge MrPotMask, not to let a few bad apples make him feel like he shouldn't be part of a group, and them started to get out of hand of people defending the 145 group.

People do have to remember that their first time in a group, a league or with a Coach, can be different than someone else's experience. It's all about first impressions, and they do last the longest if people are not willing to see anything beyond that, and take it as it is. It seems like npe and a few others had a excellent experience with the 145, but it doesn't mean that everyone else will have the same experience. I really hope that new Coaches do have a great time, as the 145 does sound like a great place for people to start out at.

I do hope people understand the point that I'm trying to make here, and I'm just going to leave it at that, and won't touch the subject again on here.
HimalayaP1C7

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2021 - 10:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi parn_star, your posts gave very good insight. Have you managed to get onto the 145 Discord yet? Even if you’re not ready to play a game yet, it’s an interesting place to observe the questions and discussions going on.
Parn_Star

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2021 - 19:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks HimalayaP1C7. No, I haven't get into the 145 Discord yet. Once I have some time on here, I probably will sign up at one point.

I should also point this out that I'm not ready to play an online game yet. I have played a few games of Seven's with my friend who is also really into Blood Bowl. It's sometimes said that I have to correct him with the new rules during game play, as I get the feeling that he didn't read the new 2020 Official Rules book (even though he owns it), and still remembers of how it plays in days of past. I have no problem with it, I just brings it up so he knows, and then we just continue on, as I know that he is having fun, and it's a mental break from him of what is going on in life.

Also, another reason why I always correct him is for him to know what the current rules are when (and if) he goes down to a tournament.
npe

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2021 - 20:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Parn_Star wrote:
Thanks HimalayaP1C7. No, I haven't get into the 145 Discord yet. Once I have some time on here, I probably will sign up at one point.

You might have a better experience starting with 145. There are a lot of coaches on there who'll be happy to show you the ropes.
Drastic

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2021 - 23:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello. I'm Drastic and I started playing BB back during 2nd edition when I was a kid up until about 2000. I began playing BB2 online sporadically a few years ago and I came across this site a while back. I loved the secret league teams and some of the chat I read and I've finally worked up the nerve to start playing humans again so be gentle Smile It all looks a bit more complicated now I'm signed up so it might take me a while to get a team going but I'm looking forward to having a game in the not too distant future.
C0ddlefish

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2021 - 23:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome, your timing couldn't be better if you want to consider the 145 club
https://fumbbl.com/p/blog?c=PurpleChest&id=23957
Great place to get (re)acquainted with the rules and/or how best to work Fumbbl itself
 Jump to: