30 coaches online • Server time: 09:46
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Cindy fumbling after...goto Post Elf Draft Coachgoto Post [L] OBBA Smack Talk ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Darkwolf

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2003 - 23:24 Reply with quote Back to top

True enough. I am just frustrated that other coachs appear not to be making the same committment as I am to play these games. I had the two best and most fun games on FUMBBL in this tourny. I see some great match ups coming up, yet the games have sat the same for the last 3-4 days.

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2003 - 17:52
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I totally agree that it's sad that people don't commit to their games.

I did try to run two tournaments before, trying to make sure games were played instead of forfeited. Both tournaments failed miserably and got delayed every round.

The catch up time makes sure everyone has a chance to not be randomly eliminated. You all knew of this catch up time from the start, and must have realized that you might be forced to be there on this time in case your opponent couldn't be contacted during the week. If someone signs up for the tournament and can't be there at the catch up time, it's a risk which they have to deal with.

The admins simply doesn't have time to "mediate" and force people to schedule and paly their games.

As far as I know, this system is the best way to run a tournament in this format. If anyone has another way of doing it, I would be happy to listen.

-- Christer
Xone

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2003 - 18:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Could also ban players who do not show up for their games from future turnaments, this way it has some consequence!
veron

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2003 - 18:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Banning sounds a bit harsh, but yeah, maybe put players that did not actually play any games in the cup to a list, and allow players from this list to join the next cup only if there are open slots after others have had their chance to join the tournament. Damn that was a long sentence.

/ veron
Christer

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2003 - 01:12
FUMBBL Staff

The problem is knowing who's to blame for not being able to play. With the various timezones people might end up scheduled against a player they simply can't find a time to play against. Who do we put on this list?
Christer

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2003 - 01:19
FUMBBL Staff

Round 2 has been resolved.

I modified the rules slightly for this round, as a problem came up. Here's the added rule:

If neither player shows up during the catch up time a team which didn't play in the previous round is automatically eliminated if their scheduled opponent did did play.

-- Christer
gophur

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2003 - 01:21 Reply with quote Back to top

there is one way to attempt to remove the time zone factor...create divisions. You could make a N and S American group and a Euro Group. I know there are some Asian/Aussies around they could have a Div too...then the leaders of divisions play for the top prize...

to even out the numbers you can offer to let folks move to another division before play starts...like if I an American had a night job, an Asian/Aussia div would be better for me than my geographical one.
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2003 - 11:39 Reply with quote Back to top

See, the problem is that things come up with these that require admin intervention, and we really don't have the time to run that many things.

The Finishing Touch
EvolveToAnarchism

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2003 - 11:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the present rules are the best way to resolve the logistical nightmare that is an international tournament. None the less I've got a suggestion. Maybe try and set up a "reasonable" time for the catch-up period. I believe it was set for midnight CET Sunday night. This was a "logical" choice; I presume as it's the end of the weekend. Perhaps setting up a time that would make sense for most coaches to actually get the game in. I'm not sure if most European coaches would want to play a game at midnight. Perhaps setting up a poll to see what a good time would be. I know this could open up a whole can of worms as the minority time zone coaches might get screwed but it might get more of the games played. It probably should stay on Sunday to give people most of the weekend to play.

As Always,
Evolve To Anarchism

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2003 - 12:35 Reply with quote Back to top

A large part of the reason that time was chosen was to be sure that the admins can be there at that time. A catch up time does no good if there isn't an admin there to verify who does and does not show up and resolve those matches.

The Finishing Touch
Christer

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2003 - 16:17
FUMBBL Staff

EvolveToAnarchism wrote:
I think the present rules are the best way to resolve the logistical nightmare that is an international tournament. None the less I've got a suggestion. Maybe try and set up a "reasonable" time for the catch-up period. I believe it was set for midnight CET Sunday night. This was a "logical" choice; I presume as it's the end of the weekend. Perhaps setting up a time that would make sense for most coaches to actually get the game in. I'm not sure if most European coaches would want to play a game at midnight. Perhaps setting up a poll to see what a good time would be. I know this could open up a whole can of worms as the minority time zone coaches might get screwed but it might get more of the games played. It probably should stay on Sunday to give people most of the weekend to play.

As Always,
Evolve To Anarchism

The time of the catch up time wasn't chosen by random.

The reasoning was that we wanted to give as many people as possible the chance to be able to be around for the catch up time. Looking at the hourly stats we see that the most active time is around midnight.

Another reason for the choice of catch up time was that we wanted to make sure at least one admin could be around at the time. Midnight worked out to be good on this aspect as well.

If enough people request it, I will pull this time back to say 10pm to make it easier for the europeans who have a life and need to be up early monday morning. Smile This change would not take place until after the current cup as I'm a bit opposed to changing the rules for running tournaments.

-- Christer
Christer

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2003 - 12:44
FUMBBL Staff

Just before the final is being played, the prize has been decided.

The winner will receive 200k gold and will be given a chance to remove an injury of choice on the team (deaths are not eligable for removal).

The runner up will receive 100k gold.

-- Christer
 Jump to: